Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 12/29/2020 2:56:38 PM EDT
https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/5213/hr-m16-carbine-9mm/

There are little holes that look like roll pins in the magazine housing of the reciever. Are these holding in the 9mm magazine adapter? I was under the impression the colt conversions were held in by set screws and the mag release as as to not modify the receiver.

I take it this would be pretty easy to convert back to .556? Would the little holes be any problem?

I'm still trying to calibrate my sense of price on registered receivers. What should this be selling for? I'm going to guess ~$18k or so (non-colt, not cast). Would the 9mm conversion decrease the value? (or increase? - I doubt as these conversions are not expensive or rare). Obviously the seller is rock solid so that may add a little to price.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a bit leery of the markings on this MG.  The Harrington & Richardson facility was in WORCESTER MA, not WORCHESTER MA, a common misspelling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a bit leery of the markings on this MG.  The Harrington & Richardson facility was in WORCESTER MA, not WORCHESTER MA, a common misspelling.
View Quote

Yikes, good catch!  Is Norrell famous for rewelding on M16 lowers
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That is definitely not a rewelded GI receiver.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yikes, good catch!  Is Norrell famous for rewelding on M16 lowers
View Quote

Yes, and a lot of other machine guns - like 10/22 conversions. He is definitely a reputable dealer.

It seems like now he is selling a lot of machine guns for the courts. Don't know the backstory (confiscated, bankruptcies?).
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also, the 16" barrel aside, why does an H&R receiver require a pivot pin adapter? Is this a commercial Colt upper with a large front hole? Or does the H&R lower have a large front hole for some reason?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, the 16" barrel aside, why does an H&R receiver require a pivot pin adapter? Is this a commercial Colt upper with a large front hole? Or does the H&R lower have a large front hole for some reason?
The front receiver push pin is the small hole like a M16 upper but uses the H&R front pin with screw.

Good catch on the spelling of Worcester and the question about the pivot pin. Additionally, the markings on the magwell look nothing like those on the military contract M16A1s made by Harrington & Richardson. In fact, it does not say H&R, it says H-R, has no logo and the markings include '9mm Carbine' instead of 5.56mm. Further back on the receiver, notice it does not say 'Harrington & Richardson' above the city, state markings as on a mil contract gun. The words 'Harrington & Richardson' do not appear anywhere I can see on the gun or in the written description of the ad. One more thing, it has no selector stops. Why is that?
Looks like it already sold, and may be a fine machinegun, but I agree probably not Harrington & Richardson.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Very interesting. I learn a half dozen new things every time I ask about one of these machine guns here. Has me still hesitant to take the plunge and buy.

What do you all think about this one?

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/2450/m16-sgw-full-auto-with-colt-m16-parts/

Particularly the rough kind of semicircular markings on the side (machining marks? maybe its billet?). Also "SGW" stamped in by itself instead of the stopsign (means its older?). I think these are the ones that are notorious for not always fitting off the shelf uppers perfectly without being reworked.

I think the price is probably about right though.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very interesting. I learn a half dozen new things every time I ask about one of these machine guns here. Has me still hesitant to take the plunge and buy.

What do you all think about this one?

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/2450/m16-sgw-full-auto-with-colt-m16-parts/

Particularly the rough kind of semicircular markings on the side (machining marks? maybe its billet?). Also "SGW" stamped in by itself instead of the stopsign (means its older?). I think these are the ones that are notorious for not always fitting off the shelf uppers perfectly without being reworked.

I think the price is probably about right though.
View Quote
This is a very old milled barstock SGW lower.

These are not like the later forged SGW /Oly A1 receivers that can have a slightly high top shelf so lower fitment may be tight, but are easily corrected and reannodized.

These milled barstock receivers were made by hand one at a time on a manual mill and are dimensionally all over the place (which is obvious from the errant milling and tooling chatter marks all over them),  the receiver material is soft, they have a pretty unique aesthetic form factor, and they certainly won't win any beauty contests (and that is probably being a bit generous)

There is absolutely no way I would pay $19K for a milled barstock SGW receiver.  This is coming from somebody who owns two of the later generation forged A1 lower SGW/Oly M16 receivers.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top