Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2018 3:34:49 PM EDT
I want to use my SilencerCo Hybrid on my .308 bolt gun, my two AR's, and my MP5

I know I need 9mm, 7.62 and 5.56 end caps, a 3-lug mount for the MP5, but what would you suggest for the .308 and AR's?

ASR muzzle brakes/flash hiders?  Direct thread?

Any other options that I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Your only other options are the ASR mount or direct thread. I’m not too happy with any of my ASR mounts.

For the bolt gun I would definitely go direct thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you guys suggest going with the Dead Air Key-Mo mounting system over the ASR?

I am not invested in either mounting system, and I'm not sure what suppressor will be next
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Keymo works with the hybrid?
Keymo > asr
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I put the omega anchor brake on mine because it's very much lighter than the factory endcap. You could also go the route of bigwaylons machinist and get a Ti endcap.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't need any of those...

Most I would do is buy a 7.62 to use on 7.62 & 5.56. Keep the factory one on for 9mm and up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I need 9mm, 7.62 and 5.56 end caps...

You don't need any of those...

Most I would do is buy a 7.62 to use on 7.62 & 5.56. Keep the factory one on for 9mm and up.
You don't think the small amount of sound reduction would be worth it?

Is it like a minuscule amount of sound reduction?  Or would it be noticeable?

$60 a pop ain't too bad

I guess the worst thing would be switching between them after each range session (I usually only shoot 1-2 calibers per range trip)
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to go key mo with mine, but they don't make the thread patterns I need and Silencer Co ASR does.

As far as the end caps if you going to shoot multiple calibers per trip just mount the smallest that will pass through all the bullets you plan to shoot. If you forget to change the end cap your going to have a strike that will cause damage. If you going to shoot one caliber the majority of the time I could see getting the end cap for that caliber, but in your case it seems like end caps would not be the best idea.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
i had two omegas before my hybrid so i was pretty invested in asr mounts, hybrid with asr was a no brainer for me. about 15-20 of my ar types have either a f/h or brake as does my 10ba. its easy to swap cans between hosts (except hybrid on handguns). i never swapped endcaps on any of mine. mostly shoot 5.56, x39, 300bo, 6.5g, .308 in my omegas and my hybrid mostly lives on my 6" ar9
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You could start as simple as a 556 front cap, and a $25 Precision Armament thread adapter to reduce the included 5/8-24 direct thread to 1/2-28 for ARs.  The 556 front cap makes the biggest difference of all of them, and the included 46 front cap does well on 9mm and 308.  Of those two, get the 9mm because it's only maybe 10 thousandths bigger than the 308.

As far as ASR vs Keymo the trade is Keymo is a little longer, a little heavier, and a little more expensive for a mount that requires almost no attention.  ASR is prone to a few operator errors, but is shorter, lighter, cheaper, and has more available thread pitches.  So if a 458 Socom or FAL or HK is in your line-up the ASR mounts are more available.  But if your barrels only come in 5/8-24 or 1/2-28 that's a wash.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could start as simple as a 556 front cap, and a $25 Precision Armament thread adapter to reduce the included 5/8-24 direct thread to 1/2-28 for ARs.  The 556 front cap makes the biggest difference of all of them, and the included 46 front cap does well on 9mm and 308.  Of those two, get the 9mm because it's only maybe 10 thousandths bigger than the 308.

As far as ASR vs Keymo the trade is Keymo is a little longer, a little heavier, and a little more expensive for a mount that requires almost no attention.  ASR is prone to a few operator errors, but is shorter, lighter, cheaper, and has more available thread pitches.  So if a 458 Socom or FAL or HK is in your line-up the ASR mounts are more available.  But if your barrels only come in 5/8-24 or 1/2-28 that's a wash.
View Quote
This seems like good advice. If you don't shoot anything bigger than 9mm I'd get the 9mm end cap and the .223 end cap. On my 16" AR the .46 end cap seemed significantly louder than the .223 end cap, so with the large bore of the Hybrid I think it is worth buying the .223 cap. And I'd get the cheaper and lighter Ti cap from Howard's friend.
I only direct thread so I have no experience on the mount options.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it easy to get the 1/2-28 thread adapter off the 5/8-24 direct thread mount?

Direct thread for my two ARs and bolt gun would be pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, I don't think it's worth it...which is why I said it.

The odds of you eventually shooting the wrong caliber through an end cap is pretty high. Most people can't tell the difference in swapping end caps. I've entered my F1 cans and actually had one get louder with a smaller bore end cap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think the small amount of sound reduction would be worth it?

Is it like a minuscule amount of sound reduction?  Or would it be noticeable?

$60 a pop ain't too bad

I guess the worst thing would be switching between them after each range session (I usually only shoot 1-2 calibers per range trip)
No, I don't think it's worth it...which is why I said it.

The odds of you eventually shooting the wrong caliber through an end cap is pretty high. Most people can't tell the difference in swapping end caps. I've entered my F1 cans and actually had one get louder with a smaller bore end cap.
If I go with the direct thread route, I will have to change the threads out every time I switch guns, so that would prompt me to change the end cap as well.

The would probably save me from a baffle strike
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
There is no issue with an adapter since there are wrench flats inside the SiCo direct thread mount and wrench flats on the exposed flange of the Precision Armament thread adapter. The 556 front cap is 0.300 bore so as long as your barrels shoulders are square to the bore run-out from tolerance stack shoukdnt be an issue.  The main risk with direct thread is the can getting lose. For a permanant location carbon buildup reduces this but since you'll be swapping cans around on to different hosts you'll want to give a twist periodically.  Every 5-10 rounds at first to see how well the can stays put. A silicone oven mitt is handy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no issue with an adapter since there are wrench flats inside the SiCo direct thread mount and wrench flats on the exposed flange of the Precision Armament thread adapter. The 556 front cap is 0.300 bore so as long as your barrels shoulders are square to the bore run-out from tolerance stack shoukdnt be an issue.  The main risk with direct thread is the can getting lose. For a permanant location carbon buildup reduces this but since you'll be swapping cans around on to different hosts you'll want to give a twist periodically.  Every 5-10 rounds at first to see how well the can stays put. A silicone oven mitt is handy.
View Quote
Direct threads get loose?  That's disappointing

I was hoping to avoid the added weight and length of a QD mounting system
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]
ASR for all AR platform rifles and direct thread for bolt guns. If you plan on shooting pistol to, get all of the pistons. Package deal is cheaper. As far as the end caps go, I think having the proper one matters. I try to keep everything in its factory packaging and if all else fails, stamp the insides of the end caps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I didn't say direct threads will loosen up, but that there is a risk that they can loosen up.  The risk is minimal on a bolt action.  But the risk is higher when everything is new and shiny.  With the Hybrid on sub-calibers the risk is also mitigated by the generous bore.  So starting out if you use the .46 front cap even if your can does vibrate loose and you forget to check it there is less chance of a strike.  If you mark the top of the can with tape after its torqued to the host you can see any rotation from loosening.  There are two threaded joints that could be the culprit.  The DT mount to the body of the can, and the 5/8 thread of the DT mount to the host's barrel shoulder. The spanners provided should allow you to torque both down well enough.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Key-mo. If you're near GR, I'm in allendale and shoot in dorr. Come see mine with the key-mo. I just run the factory end piece as I don't want to forget to swap, but it's a nice can.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm glad you posted this. I'm waiting for my Hybrid to get released and was a little lost on what I need to mount it to my different platforms.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
@NotanATFagent good shooting today! That was fun. Sounded like he was a fan of the key-mo but will probably chime in.

I on the other hand, realized you probably could go without that one extra "click" of the ratchet mechanism on the dead air mount. The suppressor tube unthreaded from the baffle stack and had to cool down to room temp again. Had a few interesting ftf's but that's another day
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@NotanATFagent good shooting today! That was fun. Sounded like he was a fan of the key-mo but will probably chime in.

I on the other hand, realized you probably could go without that one extra "click" of the ratchet mechanism on the dead air mount. The suppressor tube unthreaded from the baffle stack and had to cool down to room temp again. Had a few interesting ftf's but that's another day
View Quote
Great day indeed!

I will definitely be going with the key-mo mounting system.  The ease of switching the can from host to host (after letting it cool down ) was really awesome!

Now I just have to find a way to make the next 6-8 months go by faster
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#25]
On my way out to the range I snapped ...this picture.

Zenith 5 RS (MP5): Silencerco 3-Lug low profile/Hybrid:
Attachment Attached File

I definitely like the 3-Lug mount & better than direct thread because it is the shortest configuration and mounts very easily.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
On my way out to the range I snapped ...this picture.

Zenith 5 RS (MP5): Silencerco 3-Lug low profile/Hybrid:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89656/20180528_061312-557597.JPG

I definitely like the 3-Lug mount & better than direct thread because it is the shortest configuration and mounts very easily.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89656/20180528_062155-557599.JPG
View Quote
Just what I was looking for, thanks Bishop!
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep, Omega and Hybrid share the same parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keymo works with the hybrid?
Keymo > asr
Yep, Omega and Hybrid share the same parts.
@HansohnBrothers

Do you guys have any deals going on right now?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing right now, probably something next week for the 4th.  What are you looking for?
View Quote
@HansohnBrothers

Dead Air Keymo system and mounts, SilencerCo Hybrid end caps and 3-lug low profile mount
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top