Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2018 10:55:51 AM EDT
Picked up a 6 digit (all numbers...no letters in S/N) century L1A1 Sporter. It has a milled out area near the century markings where it looks like Century removed someone else’s Receiver mark. It has a dual “W” feed ramp and the first 3 of the S/N are 105. Here are some markings. Any idea?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
More pics
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Oooh, that's a thumbhole.  If you're getting rid of it PM me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a century built receiver.  If it works, gtg.  If not, I hope you didn’t pay a lot for that.

And those guys at  century love their center punch don’t they?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Not knocking your rifle OP, I have a neutered century FAL too.
They used a new us made bbl, unthreaded.  Had the thumb hole rear, but came with a bunch of parts too, including a new butt stock and the original STG bbl attached to the receiver stub.

Mine has an imbel receiver and works great.  I think those are the more desirable ones from century, but I also think they are all hit or miss.

Shot it yet?

They are a hoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a century built receiver.  If it works, gtg.  If not, I hope you didn’t pay a lot for that.

And those guys at  century love their center punch don’t they?
View Quote
It was my impression Century had the uni-brow receivers/feed ramp? The W feedramp were Imbel/Argentine from what I read.

@DVCER
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not knocking your rifle OP, I have a neutered century FAL too.
They used a new us made bbl, unthreaded.  Had the thumb hole rear, but came with a bunch of parts too, including a new butt stock and the original STG bbl attached to the receiver stub.

Mine has an imbel receiver and works great.  I think those are the more desirable ones from century, but I also think they are all hit or miss.

Shot it yet?

They are a hoot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/4DF6834C-1324-4198-9C5C-5456B70FB7D5-585047.JPG
View Quote
They cut down the original barrel on this one. It still has remnants of the key slot on the end and proofs. Later ones had US barrels it appears from reading.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You may know more about them than me.  I got mine 9 years ago,
It says century on the bbl, but PAC on the receiver.  I don’t know what it is other than a great shooter for pretty cheap.   I don’t shoot it much anymore, so I pulled it out of the back of the safe and took some pics.   I’m going to shoot it this summer more.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought the Imbel receivers were marked like mine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Not all century Imbels are marked as such and due to serial placement it looks like an unmarked Imbel. Your best bet would be to post on the fal files as they could tell you for sure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Don’t CIA made receivers all have a c prefix to the serial number?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It says century on the bbl, but PAC on the receiver.  I don’t know what it is other than a great shooter for pretty cheap.   I don’t shoot it much anymore, so I pulled it out of the back of the safe and took some pics.   I’m going to shoot it this summer more.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/C90024C1-CF2D-444A-8A4E-7B9682DDFEB9-585339.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/031F8937-8D7E-484D-B460-844A4CD435D8-585340.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/9AE0E967-0996-4CC6-B472-B27A17CE0D91-585342.JPG
View Quote
My IMBEL receiver is not from a Century gun, but it is marked differently.

The IMBEL "gear logo" is all the way to the rear.  Markings start just forward of it.  Top line is dot matrix and says "Receiver made by IMBEL, Itajuba Brazil".  Second line is also dot matrix and says "Pars International Corp., Louisville, KY USA".  Serial number os dot matrix and is on the magwell, and has a two-letter prefix.  Left side is marked at the top rear of the rail (dot matrix) "XFAL 7.62X51 - C3A.  Inside of the mag well has year of production (2001).  Only the IMBEL gear logo is engraved.

The typical military contract ones for export I think say "FZ. 7,62" on the left side, "Fabrica de Itajuba-Brasil" on the right side (no gear logo except maybe on later ones), and the serial on the magwell, numbers-only.  All engraved.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My IMBEL receiver is not from a Century gun, but it is marked differently.

The IMBEL "gear logo" is all the way to the rear.  Markings start just forward of it.  Top line is dot matrix and says "Receiver made by IMBEL, Itajuba Brazil".  Second line is also dot matrix and says "Pars International Corp., Louisville, KY USA".  Serial number os dot matrix and is on the magwell, and has a two-letter prefix.  Left side is marked at the top rear of the rail (dot matrix) "XFAL 7.62X51 - C3A.  Inside of the mag well has year of production (2001).  Only the IMBEL gear logo is engraved.

The typical military contract ones for export I think say "FZ. 7,62" on the left side, "Fabrica de Itajuba-Brasil" on the right side (no gear logo except maybe on later ones), and the serial on the magwell, numbers-only.  All engraved.
View Quote
Someone says it very well may be an Argentine FMAP. Found a similar s/n 105 prefix/range who claims that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting. I have not seen a Century receiver like that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]

The Argentine FMAP receivers have a "tell" in that there is a relief/clearance cut in the receiver to get around a bar/lug in their semi lowers that prevents the installation of full auto parts. Please see the attached pic(not my receiver). The relief cut can be seen under the locking shoulder at the rear of the area where the hinge pin passes through. IIRC all other receivers are completely round in that area.

ETA- It also looks like your receiver was not notched for the commonwealth charging handle. Does the handle fold flush against the receiver? This is making me think it's an early Century rifle when they were using FMAP and IMBEL receivers. SN placement looks like IMBEL on your rifle's receiver.

My own Argentine receivered CAI assembled L1A1 is on it's way to Glen Riddle and should arrive tomorrow for some improvements. The markings on mine matched the pic above. As purchased the rifle had the charging handle hitting the front of the receiver,suspect head space, and a badly chewed up bbl. I had L/FN at the FAL files notch the charging handle to fit properly and install a PG stud in my lower. Gunplumber provided the needed hardware to sort out mounting the PG.  
I stumbled across half an L1A1 kit locally that included a clean L1A1 front end. I am looking forward to ditching the neutered bbl that Century wrecked and getting the old rifle cleaned up and operating as it should.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Blitz, let us know what you think of the FALsmith working on your gun.  I still have the STG bbl with the (I think)wire cutting flash suppressor.  I’d really like to get that bbl on my FAL.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Blitz, let us know what you think of the FALsmith working on your gun.  I still have the STG bbl with the (I think)wire cutting flash suppressor.  I’d really like to get that bbl on my FAL.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/35C6F87E-363E-4F74-B53B-7A875E16458B-585913.JPG
View Quote
10-4.

Aside from buying parts from the usual suspects, the only FAL work I solicited was performed by Rich Saunders of Century Gun Works in NV on a rifle he built for a previous owner on this site(sadly it looks like he took in his shingle).

The short list of Gunsmith's that I came up with were below. Glen ended up being closest to me and easiest to reach. I'm looking forward to seeing his work.

Glen Riddle @ Magnum gunsmithing(OH)
CMP Armory(NC)
Mark Graham @ARS(AZ)
Randy Kline/Sledgehammer Arms(FL?)
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Blitz, I’ll shoot an email off to Arizona response.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

10-4.

Aside from buying parts from the usual suspects, the only FAL work I solicited was performed by Rich Saunders of Century Gun Works in NV on a rifle he built for a previous owner on this site(sadly it looks like he took in his shingle).

The short list of Gunsmith's that I came up with were below. Glen ended up being closest to me and easiest to reach. I'm looking forward to seeing his work.

Glen Riddle @ Magnum gunsmithing(OH)
CMP Armory(NC)
Mark Graham @ARS(AZ)
Randy Kline/Sledgehammer Arms(FL?)
View Quote
CMP Armory is Moses's business, I believe. If so, it would be unwise to send him anything. Terry Bridwell in Oregon does great work.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s a Century Arms marked Imbel receiver you have there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://i67.tinypic.com/nowx7b.jpg

The Argentine FMAP receivers have a "tell" in that there is a relief/clearance cut in the receiver to get around a bar/lug in their semi lowers that prevents the installation of full auto parts. Please see the attached pic(not my receiver). The relief cut can be seen under the locking shoulder at the rear of the area where the hinge pin passes through. IIRC all other receivers are completely round in that area.

ETA- It also looks like your receiver was not notched for the commonwealth charging handle. Does the handle fold flush against the receiver? This is making me think it's an early Century rifle when they were using FMAP and IMBEL receivers. SN placement looks like IMBEL on your rifle's receiver.

My own Argentine receivered CAI assembled L1A1 is on it's way to Glen Riddle and should arrive tomorrow for some improvements. The markings on mine matched the pic above. As purchased the rifle had the charging handle hitting the front of the receiver,suspect head space, and a badly chewed up bbl. I had L/FN at the FAL files notch the charging handle to fit properly and install a PG stud in my lower. Gunplumber provided the needed hardware to sort out mounting the PG.  
I stumbled across half an L1A1 kit locally that included a clean L1A1 front end. I am looking forward to ditching the neutered bbl that Century wrecked and getting the old rifle cleaned up and operating as it should.

HTH

Blitz
View Quote
Yes, it has the notched recess for the folding charging handle to lie down against the receiver. Is that what you mean?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

CMP Armory is Moses's business, I believe. If so, it would be unwise to send him anything. Terry Bridwell in Oregon does great work.
View Quote
CMP Armory is Chip Mayo's business.  Moses used to work with him, but I don't think they're working together anymore, since Moses split off and did the Moses Mags thing.

Chip does great work.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It says century on the bbl, but PAC on the receiver.  I don't know what it is other than a great shooter for pretty cheap.   I don't shoot it much anymore, so I pulled it out of the back of the safe and took some pics.   I'm going to shoot it this summer more.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/C90024C1-CF2D-444A-8A4E-7B9682DDFEB9-585339.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/031F8937-8D7E-484D-B460-844A4CD435D8-585340.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/9AE0E967-0996-4CC6-B472-B27A17CE0D91-585342.JPG
View Quote
I'm pretty sure your rifle isn't a Century Imbel.  PAC imported Imbel receivers as did Century.  I don't recall Century, the nations largest gun importer, ever needing to bring in guns from PAC.  So what I think your rifle is, assuming that as you stated there is a Century mark on the barrel, is a build with a PAC receiver reusing a Century gun as a parts kit.  Most Century Imbel rifles (bought as complete units from Century) were non-gear logo receivers, and had the receiver markings like so-

I could be wrong, but I can't see why Century would be buying another importer's receivers to build their rifles.

This is the Gear Logo receiver markings on the stripped receivers that Century offered for sale to FAL builders.  Note that Century was importing their own Gear Logo receivers as well as the above non-gear logo's.  Again, these were sold as stripped receivers for builds by others.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe I was wrong stating mine was a century build too.

I sent Mark at ARS an email with those same pics above asking about a bbl swap.  I saw on his website that he would not work on century guns, among some others.   He replied quick, stating he did not think it was a century build and gave me a price on a bbl swap or just threading my existing bbl.

Did the OP ever shoot his FAL?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I sent Mark at ARS an email with those same pics above asking about a bbl swap.  I saw on his website that he would not work on century guns, among some others.   He replied quick, stating he did not think it was a century build and gave me a price on a bbl swap or just threading my existing bbl.

View Quote
Haven’t shot yet. I’m looking to get some go/no-go first to check headspace. Guy I got it from said he shot it “about 40 times” and it functioned fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Good idea and good luck.  It is a pretty cool platform for 308.  Mine can reliably bust on a fridge size rock at 440.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

The arrow indicates the radius cut unique to the Argentine receiver. IIRC the back area of that lug is a flat vertical surface on other receivers.
The relief cut circled is not found on Imbel or Century receivers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I have an inch cut Imbel receiver imported by Century. No relief cuts like a type 3

OP is yours inch or metric?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CMP Armory is Chip Mayo's business.  Moses used to work with him, but I don't think they're working together anymore, since Moses split off and did the Moses Mags thing.

Chip does great work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chip does great work.
Good to hear.  We need as many good, reputable FAL 'smiths as possible out there.  From what I understand, Moses did great work, but has ceased to be reputable.  It'd be nice if someone could buy him out of the tooling for the Moses mags and produce them again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Haven’t shot yet. I’m looking to get some go/no-go first to check headspace. Guy I got it from said he shot it “about 40 times” and it functioned fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gauges will you be using?  Just be aware that commercial gauges are not the same as those used to build, inspect, and repair FALs.  The Forster gauges I was using were 1.630 for GO and 1.634 for NO-GO, and IIRC 1.640 (maybe less than that) for FIELD.

Actual FN gauges only use minimum and maximum.  Minimum is equivalent to GO and maximum to FIELD, which they used as the standard for NO-GO.

Minimum is 41.283mm or about 1.625".  Maximum is 41.773mm or very slightly under 1.645".  Anything above or below that range is unsafe.  Brits and Canadians were a little different on what they used for Min and Max.  Locking shoulder setback after firing ranges from .0015 to .0022, IIRC.  If you're marginal (close to Max) you might end up with a headspace after firing that is unsafe/unserviceable.

If the headspace is excessive for your tastes or unsafe, and you need a new locking shoulder, you should get an Aussie locking shoulder from The Dealer Warehouse.  Got one for my most recent rifle and the things are quite literally in new condition.  They are .001 off from actual size compared to how they are listed.  There are charts out there that tell you what the size numbers mean.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  It'd be nice if someone could buy him out of the tooling for the Moses mags and produce them again.
View Quote
?  Thought they were available from distributors, just his ordering system on his website was FUBAR'd, either from computer issues or business inventory mismanagement.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the same receiver, it's good to go.  It is a Century Imbel
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
?  Thought they were available from distributors, just his ordering system on his website was FUBAR'd, either from computer issues or business inventory mismanagement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It'd be nice if someone could buy him out of the tooling for the Moses mags and produce them again.
Apparently, DSA was able to take possession of a large batch they had ordered a long time ago. How they managed to do that, I'm not sure, but I'm sure that Johnny would have screwed them over if he had the opportunity. Maybe they sicced the lawyers on his ass. Unless you can get Moses mags second hand, don't give that scumbag any more money. Then you won't have to post a thread here to the tune of "I ordered mags a year and a half ago and I still haven't seen them. No communication from the seller."
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Making the most important part of a semi-automatic firearm is very difficult, as Mad-Machinist can attest.  Sounds like he was a good gunsmith with a great idea who got in over his head.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Apparently, DSA was able to take possession of a large batch they had ordered a long time ago. How they managed to do that, I'm not sure, but I'm sure that Johnny would have screwed them over if he had the opportunity. Maybe they sicced the lawyers on his ass. Unless you can get Moses mags second hand, don't give that scumbag any more money. Then you won't have to post a thread here to the tune of "I ordered mags a year and a half ago and I still haven't seen them. No communication from the seller."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I recall on the FAL Files this batch wasn't even complete.  It still required some finishing touches that DSA had to do themselves.  Moses has been blacklisted by the credit-card companies at this point.  Too many chargebacks.  That's why he switched to asking for checks, cash, and money orders.  I'm sure he still gets suckers sending him money from time to time.

It'd be awesome if someone could buy him out.  I also wonder how far along he had gotten on his 26-round Moses mag project.  I also forget if he ver got around to making SCAR-17 mags.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#37]
SCAR mags were announced, dunno if he ever shipped any.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]
OP you have an unmarked Imbel receiver, some had the cut done for an inch charging handle but should be a metric magwell.
It’s probably a mix of Brit & Aussie inch pattern parts, possibly some Indian parts.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP you have an unmarked Imbel receiver, some had the cut done for an inch charging handle but should be a metric magwell.
It’s probably a mix of Brit & Aussie inch pattern parts, possibly some Indian parts.
View Quote
My Imbel has the mag well cut to inch. It was imported by Century but I don't beleive its a factory gun. It is all BSA 57 marked or maybe 58 dont remember which.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My Imbel has the mag well cut to inch. It was imported by Century but I don't beleive its a factory gun. It is all BSA 57 marked or maybe 58 dont remember which.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes there some inch cut Imbel’s out there, I had one from ARS a while back. I don’t think Century their magwells to inch, but who knows. Plenty of frankenfal’s out there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Not pertian to the thread but with Century you never know what your going to find.

My very first FAL was a Century. I ordered it so I know it was factory. This was after the 94 ban. I had the threads cut of but was pistol gripped.

It had a HESSE receiver and get this. A numbers matching STG58 kit.

Later on when I knew more there was no way it met parts count. I'm sure the mag was part of it. It also had the solid aluminum charging knob. However in the box was an original handle.

I really think an employee made it up and was going to snag it, but couldn't swing it or lost track of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#42]
OP in that one photo I see your locking shoulder protruding.  Watch that it isn’t walking.  Century always reused old locking shoulders.   Hell they even dremeled them to fit.   If it walks out you will not be locking you bolt during firing.   My first century had a loose walking shoulder which I replaced with a new un used OEM British one of the correct size.

Also a lot of  He century guns were owner built and possibly rebuilt several times.   So any parts could be swapped around since leaving Century.   Not a bad thing since the Century monkeys did the same thing.  FALs in the US are mutts but we love mutts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree it is likely an IMBEL or FMAP....  either way great receiver.  That gun likely was built way before Century started having US receivers built for them..good find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top