Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2020 2:49:50 PM EDT
I want a laser and Illuminator.  Thinking the Steiner dbal-I2?  

Can anyone guide me on this as I don’t have the budget for a Mawl.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve had a few DBAL I2 9007s. They’re pretty good for what they are, especially for the price. You just have to zero them in the dark which kinda sucks
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want the reach capability of a MAWL get a D2. If it's for a 75 yard max, very dark AO or you're trying to have a very low signature, then a 9007 is a great choice.
I had a few of them and never had a problem. To zero them simply over lap it to your already zeroed RDS at night to the furthest distance you can see all without firing a shot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check our Black Friday deals coming up, you won't want to miss this!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a laser and Illuminator.  Thinking the Steiner dbal-I2?  

Can anyone guide me on this as I don’t have the budget for a Mawl.  

Thanks!

Check our Black Friday deals coming up, you won't want to miss this!

Good to know!  When are you going to announce what you’re doing for Black Friday?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’ve had a few DBAL I2 9007s. They’re pretty good for what they are, especially for the price. You just have to zero them in the dark which kinda sucks
View Quote

That’s half the charm right there! The other half is making sure you remember to keep a positive load on the adjusters - In the dark.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll get hated on but for the money holosun is hard to beat. I only use them and mawls. The dbals are finicky and output is meh for over 1k worth of hardware and the atipalc is a joke at that price. I'd go holosun, persts, mawl in order of budget.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll get hated on but for the money holosun is hard to beat. I only use them and mawls. The dbals are finicky and output is meh for over 1k worth of hardware and the atipalc is a joke at that price. I'd go holosun, persts, mawl in order of budget.
View Quote

What model holosun?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
For me, it would be (if I couldn’t get a full powered unit):

1.  MAWL
2.  DBAL D2
3.  DBAL A3 + strong IR illum
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For me, it would be (if I couldn’t get a full powered unit):

1.  MAWL
2.  DBAL D2
3.  DBAL A3 + strong IR illum
View Quote

Holy shit you’re alive! Also mirrors my thoughts almost exactly. I’m not a huge fan of the MAWL but it is the best civi unit I’ve used. The D2 is a huge pig, otherwise that would be my top civi choice
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh, the single spectrum I2 is pretty decent. I got mine for like $625 from Botach
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What model holosun?
View Quote

Ls321g would be my pick for you. Sub1k, has slaved lasers and illuminator so easy to sight in, on the fly illuminator adjustment knob in the back. I compared it to my mawl in a video. Some will knock it for low illumination but unless you're running a mawl or a full power you aren't getting that anyways and in some cases you cant refocus it (atipalc, some dbals). The D2 is good but it's huge and the illuminator is just a flashlight built in in reality.
B.E. Meyers MAWL vs Holosun LS321g

My videography needs some work

Edit: I'll also add that the holosun is basically if not the same ( not 100% sure but it's pretty obvious) as the triad laser unit. That unit is used by a lot of law enforcement including British ctsfos
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
DBAL-I2 9007 with a stand-alone illuminator.  It’s the closest thing I’ve found that can be somewhat comparable in performance to the MAWL.  Threw together a video that compares a few options for the Arisaka EX IR thread over in the AR forum.

(Set your YouTube resolution settings to max to prevent the NV videos from being too pixelated.)

IR Illuminator Performance - MAWL vs Arisaka EX IR 250 vs Modlite IR-850
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTAUBLRdDg

ZENITCO PERST-3 Vs STEINER DBAL-D2
That’s what I’d pick if I couldn’t afford a mawl and didn’t want to buy grey market full power lasers. ^
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DBAL-I2 9007 with a stand-alone illuminator.  It’s the closest thing I’ve found that can be somewhat comparable in performance to the MAWL.  Threw together a video that compares a few options for the Arisaka EX IR thread over in the AR forum.

(Set your YouTube resolution settings to max to prevent the NV videos from being too pixelated.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53u22-Rl4yI
View Quote

Dam great video ??
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent video!  Which power Arisaka EX IR do you have?  250mw or 700mw?

Edit: Nevermind, it says 250 in the title!
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Happy with my perst 4. buddies perst 3 has been solid so far as well. shipping sucks ass and makes china seem fast, but their CS seems to be at least as good as the high dollar low power USA units.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EX IR 250.  Plan to pick up a 700 here shortly to compare.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really good video. I need to pick one of those up. Maybe more
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you.  Would love to see that comparison.  I am at the same crossroads as you.  I don't want to outfit both of my rifles with MAWLs due to price and look for better IR illumination for my i2.  I like that the 250mw didn't autogate the tubes that much.  Would be interested in seeing if the 700mw does the same.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are you activating the white light?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Onboard fire button with my thumb overtop the TAPS switch.  Most of my rifles are setup with clicky tailcaps and the light at 1 o’clock.  May eventually add a tape switch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#22]
i have a ls221g and like it. i kindof want a le321g next. but for that money i could get a perst4 and death star that shit lol
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#23]
The biggest down fall of having a supplemental high power illuminator is that the laser maybe off to the side/top/bottom or any of the combinations. The Luna LN-ElIR-3 does have an adjustable beam and is an absolute Death Star planet destroyer especially if the filter happens to fall out of it after giving it a good field strip/cleaning of course . @Lowdown3 knows more than I do about them and I'm sure he could shed some excuse the pun "light or IR light" on the adjustability/capability of the Luna.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

i have a 9007 that i've been thinking needs a dual 'saka white/ir setup with properly arranged switches.

Thoughts confirmed!

i'll trust first person view, but it didn't look like it was giving up much to the mawl and 2 buttons are simple :D
nice vid
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if the 700mw gates down like the modlite?

from the video the arisaka looked more user-friendly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wonder if the 700mw gates down like the modlite?

from the video the arisaka looked more user-friendly.
View Quote

Only one way to find out :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top