Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 476
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Did background work for a range trip early next week.  Setting up the rounds, getting the rest of the range kit squared away, etc.  

But also, I’m trying to get legit velocities for certain pistol loads, without having to set up the Oheler chrono.  (My Shooting Chrony is in “needs testing” status.)

Magnetospeed has a rail mount for their V3 sensor.  I found that it should work with some of my pistols that have a light rail on the frame.  I’ll report back when I find out if that’s true.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
cranked out 250 10mm loads

wet tumbled a big FART full of 9mm
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a buddy over (I’m teaching him to reload and using my Hornady AP) and we loaded up the last of my Speer 124 TMJ’s (350 or so) and started in on the 124 RMR MPR’s (got about 150 made).

It was a good afternoon…. only one broke decapping pin, three crushed primers, two crushed cases/bullets, and four unprimed/loaded rounds with powder spilling out….Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#4]
Separated several hundred 380 cases into two groups: Fiocchi and everything else as the former generally will not fit into my Hornady die set's shell holder. As my dies are locked into Hornady LNL die bushings I'm not wanting to mess with using another manufacturer's shell holder as it would require re-adjusting the dies but I might just go ahead and swap out the Hornady shell holder for an RCBS, adjust the dies, and be done with it. We'll see.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Last few days, I cranked out 1K 9mm on the SDB.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My new bench had the slightest bit of wobble.  Not any more.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
loaded up a bunch of Barnes 110gr in 38 special.  These should be extra spicy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Got some nickel plated 9mm in the other day - ran a few hundred through the Lee App.  Ordered a 750 spare parts kit at Scheels, it's free shipping day.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Loaded some 10mm, came across a unicorn 10mm case, primer wouldn't seat no matter what.  Had a small primer pocket in it.  It's now living out it's final days in the scrap bucket

Sorted that 45LC/45ACP brass by caliber that I wet tumbled Saturday.  Found 2 small primer pocket'ed 45ACP cases.  They're yucking it up in scrap bucket with that 10mm small primered case

Had another 45ACP case that had a steel pin in it. Pin went in the trash, it'll happen again if I put that pin in with the others.

Fail Safe my ass!

Update on the AA#9 powder dribbles:

I'm checking my charge weights about 50 cases and had the measure set to throw 13.3 gr.  Got some wildly underweight charges, like 12.6, 13.0, a 10.1

The powder bar wasn't binding, moved freely...so I thought.  

What was happening was the bar go full travel when the press handle is all the down, drop the charge and appear to return all way when I raised the handle.  That little spring on the end of actuator rod tends to loosen and not putting all the force to needed to return the bar 100% of the forward position where the charge bar gets recharged with powder.  I would go all the way except about 1/4" inch so it wasn't getting a full charge of powder hence the erratic undercharges.

Got tired of taking the PM apart and cleaning the two charge bar and the small charge bar adapter all the time.
Swapped in another small charge bar/adapter combo, dialed in 13.3 gr again and watching the charge bar like a hawk to make sure it returns full travel.

After about 30 cases not seeing any powder dribble but obviously need to run it more and see how this different bar works.

Never had this issue with the older non-fail safe powder measure.

Who knows how many undercharged cases I have and by how much.  On the bright side light charges are better than over max charges.

Live, Reload, and Learn.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Wet tumbling 38 spl. brass.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Tumbled a pile of .303 British from a recent shoot. Now to decide whether to immediately reload them from my slowly diminishing supplies of large rifle primers and BL-C(2).
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Got off a 7 month reloading Hiatus (major DIY kitchen remodel) and got the Dillon moving again. Im ditching the lee turret for pistol snd invested in a 9mm setup for the 750.
Test loads for 9mm made, and 200 .223 made so far. I’m down to 2lbs of H322 though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my primer tubes cleaned out via the GHPorter method! That is the feeder tubes AND the filler tubes! Wast of my time for the LP ones, honestly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I got to the range today!  DANG it was hot!

Pros: The new Glock 19 ran perfectly as expected.  Even with my large hands, it wasn’t “too small” as some folks I’ve spoken with warned it might be.  And yes, my Magnetospeed V3 worked on the accessory rail of the G19.  With some tweaks.

The chronograph was still set at factory defaults, and the first several times it didn’t pick up anything with the second sensor.  So I cranked up the sensitivity (from 2 to 8), and it “worked” but the numbers were weird.  So I turned it back down to 5 and got reasonable velocities.

Cons: I spent a LOT of time looking for my brass.  I wound up short about 20 cases of “what I brought.”  Not to worry, just to keep from slipping/tripping/falling over the brass littering the shooting area, I policed a bunch of brass.  It pretty much made up for losing a few cases.  As well as being a public service for the safety of others.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
90 minutes at the range. Among the finds: A half-gallon of 45 Auto and a rare find of 20 pieces of 41 magnum.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Today I learned to really dislike my old 9mm RCBS Size die.

That Norma flash hole is more to blame, but I really want Dillon dies lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#19]
Almost a perfect day

No more powder leakage between small powder bar and the spacer gumming things up after another 250 rds or so.  I swapped those parts out with the small powder bar and spacer from another powder measure set up with a large powder bar.

The powder bar now snaps forward as soon as the weird fail safe gizmo gets unlocked.  Used to think this is a bad thing, metal banging against metal, but now when I hear the snap I know the powder charge will be right and I can focus attention to other details

Murphy

As I was gleefully cranking out some 10mm tried to load a case on station 1, the sizing station and the case wouldn't go into the shell plate.  

Upon examination it had an upside down spent primer in the primer pocket, must have made it to the wet tumbler and got stuck in there.

'No problem' I thought, I'll just set the case above the shell plate, guide it into the sizing die, decap it, then remove it and size it normally.

The remove part didn't work cause now I had a stuck case in the sizing die, what was I thinking?!?  At least I got the upside halfway in primer out

Three seconds later I became unfazed, removed the decapping pin assembly, grabbed my Brownells 38 cal squib rod and a plastic tipped hammer and tapped that sucker out

Next time I'll swap out the sizing die with a decapping die to prevent a stuck case

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I loaded 50 rounds of 35 Whelen ammo for a friend using 225 grain Nosler plastic tips bullets and AA2520 powder.  

kwg
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Had my reloading buddy over for a visit. We loaded a herd of .40 Minor, gauged every round and boxed them.

I was not impressed with the uniquetek powder funnel on the 1050 and went back to the factory cone shaped powder funnel 13005. Press runs so much smoother and the rounds are seating perfectly.
uniquetek makes a great tool but i think it is better suited on the 550.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Last evening I sorted the brass haul empty brass I came home with yesterday, and deprimed everything BUT the 9mm cases.

Since I’d managed to collect quite a few zinc-plated steel (Berdan to boot) 9mm cases, I ran my magnet through the remaining, unsorted cases to cull them.  And out with the zinc stuff came a bunch of SIG-marked, really brass-looking cases.  Was SIG using steel primer anvils?  I popped out a primer and checked.  No, the primer was all brass, but the case still stuck to the magnet.    I’ll have to research this.  Maybe I misread the headstamps?

Today, I’m setting up the APP with my case feeder and depriming the 9mm stuff.  After thoroughly checking it for Berdan and steel cases, of course…
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I taught my grandson how to load some pistol rounds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#25]
took a breather from 10mm project, today I:
- used RCBS military crimp remover on 100 or so .223 case
- used those shell sorter plates to sift through the brass from range session two weekends ago
- decapped some 9mm in preparation for wet tumbling
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I loaded up 100 rounds of 6 Creedmoor. I lowered the charge of H4350 from my last batch trying to get in the 2950 fps range.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:33:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#29]
Shot 2 rounds of trap with my new 20 gauge.

So turned 50 Winchester factory AA’s into once fired hulls.

EDIT:  I really meant 50… instead of 20
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:44:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#31]
Decapped 380
Decapped 38 spl
Decapped 357 magnum
Decapped 45 Auto
Wet tumbled 45 Auto
Separated 45 Auto by primer pocket size
Reamed mil crimps from 45 Auto "NT" cases

Replacement decapping pins from Mighty Armory arrived in today's mail

Scored 400 SPP at PSA in Columbia $6.30/100.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Now that I have a 9mm PCC, I'm cranking out another 1250 rounds of 9mm on the SDB.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#34]
loaded another 300 rounds of 38 special.  Tumbling a huge pile of 38 brass I got off the EE.  Trimmed and chamfered a huge pile of 300 AAC brass.  Yeah it was a productive day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Wet tumbled a mixed batch of 380/38/357 and reloaded 128 rounds of 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Yesterday I started depriming the 9mm range brass I brought home Tuesday.  I got through over 300 of them, but had some issues with the APP.  The “case inserter” - the part that slides back and forth delivering cases to the shell holder - started sticking when it should have been going back.  So I took that apart and cleaned it (and the rail/guide).

I also applied some canning wax directly to the rail and the part that goes on top of the case inserter, kind of like coloring with a crayon.  I finally dabbed a tiny bit of solid lanolin on the hidden part of the rail on either side.  Then I put it all back together and tried it out.  And cussed.

The direction the spring is attached to the hook on the case inserter makes a BIG difference!  If it’s not aligned correctly (with the open side of the loop at the end DOWN), the spring will flex instead of pushing the inserter back.  Once I properly attached the spring, it all worked well - and much smoother due to the lanolin and wax on the case track.

200+ more cases to go, but they should be easy now that I have this figured out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Currently decapping a bag of 310+ pieces of 45 Auto brass.

Ordered a UFO lighting kit from KMS2 for the Rock chucker. 25% off with code UFO25

Also ordered a 3-D printed spent primer catcher from an Etsy vendor.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Went on a on-line shopping spree:

8 lbs of TAC directly from Hodgdon
500 Starline 5.56 Brass directly from Starline (On backorder status)
250 Nosler 77 grain CC w/Cannelure from Blue Collar Reloading

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I finished the last of my 9mm decapping with the APP, fed by my Hornady case feeder.  With the APP running smoothly, I did some tweaking to the case feeder - specifically where cases drop into the tube that feeds the press - for smoother operation.

The LnL case feeder is sensitive to vibration.  Installed on the LnL press, it can only vibrate a little, but my stand for it isn’t as solid as the press, so it can vibrate enough to cause upside down cases.  I increased how solidly I had the stand’s base clamped to the bench, which helped a lot.  But not enough, so I added some “guides” to the case funnel.  Basically they’re folded business card stock, but they keep 9mm cases from tumbling when they fall from the feed plate.  I’m going to work on making these tweaks more robust,  and transparent, so I can see what’s happening.

Anyway, with that range brass all processed, it’s time to take the feed plate out and thoroughly clean the LnL feeder’s bowl.  Dillon has a little “dust drain” hole in their bowl, but there isn’t one in the Hornady feeder.  Just as well though, since I will be able to get at the “window” the cases come through better with the feeder not up on a post, and without the feed plate in my way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Fired up the press after a 6+ week hiatus, loaded up the last of my Kimberlin Creek 125 gr bullets, 265 worth over some True Blue. Need to place an order for some more Blue Bullets and start tracking some more True Blue as well.

Still haven't run a session yet with either my APP or my FART, just been too busy with work and then not feeling it. Maybe this weekend since it's pretty much 100 degrees out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Had the day off and decided to do some reloading stuff:

1. decapped some 9mm on the 650, the ejector wire on the 650 is causing the cases to bind, I'm in this infinite loop of staring at it, bending it, reinstalling it, watching it bind sooner or later.  Decided to take another chance on one of those aftermarket ejector thingies, update when I get one and install it, etc

2. decapped some 44 mag, 40SW, 10mm on the Rock Chucker

3. did a FART load of 9mm brass with citric acid and Dawn, came out great!

4. did a second FART load of 9mm with citrix acid and Armor All Wash and Wax.  Brass came out green
Decided I'll redo this batch with Dawn and give up altogether on Armor All Wash and Wax

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#43]
currently wet tumbling some more 45 Auto brass.

Earlier this evening reloaded 244 rounds 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Loaded 85 rounds of 9mm, 124gr. XTP's over 4.8gr. Unique.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Purchased a 2-foot section of clear PVC 1/2" I.D. tubing and a 1/2" galvanized pipe strap for guiding primers down into a catch container for when the 3-D printed primer catchers arrives sometime next week (tubing is not incl. with the catcher).

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#46]
Tested out my new LabRadar.

Attachment Attached File

Lost 3 pieces of my 10mm brass.

Grabbed a ziploc’s with of range pickup brass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I got jealous of AeroEngineer's new Labradar.

I also took apart my Hornady case feeder - the motorized part, anyway - and cleaned it really thoroughly.  To do that, I took the whole thing apart.

The console parts are held together with "buttons" and by the way the two switches are installed.  I separated the parts and washed them with soap and water.  I took everything off the bowl too, and washed that in soap and water.  When I put it all back together, I verified that my "safety additions" - two pieces of formed plastic sheet to cover the open spaces over the power and stop switches in the console - were still a good fit.

I was still not happy with the kludge part I made to allow me to feed my APP from the Hornady feeder - it caused far more frequent case hangs than I wanted to deal with, so I couldn't pay as much attention to the cases on the press.  It turns out that Hornady's small drop tube fits INSIDE the Lee tube...so I adjusted the height of the case feeder to allow for the longer Hornady tube, and it ran well.

Still, there's tweaking to be done.  Dillon's case funnel is round, but Hornady's is squared off enough that it causes issues with 9mm cases not just dropping straight down.  So I'm working on something to "round" the Hornady funnel that doesn't mean reengineering the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Frankford Arsenal sent me a new bowl from my tumbler so I installed that. I broke it and offered to pay but they refused to take it.

Back to new
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#50]
redid that greenish 9mm batch from yesterday where I used citric+AA Wash and Wax
Used citric+Dawn

Now it's righteous

Attachment Attached File

wet tumbled the 10mm I decapped yesterday as well

Page / 476
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top