Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2021 4:43:45 PM EDT
Was about to put down $2k on a NOS DPMS G2 SASS, but am reconsidering. Looking at POF Rogue now ....or something else. Not going to spend the $$$ on a SCAR......TAVOR 7 maybe.... But their accuracy issues turn me off.

Im a weekend paper puncher but may venture off into the woods on occasion.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I HIGHLY recommend checking out the XCR-M in .308. Beautifully soft shooting rifle and 100% made in the USA. They have a bunch of options available as well, barrel profiles, lengths, pistol / rifle options as well.

Robinson Armament
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a AR-10 custom build.  I bought a Tavor 7, and am in love.  I shoot suppressed mostly though.  I just polished the trigger tonight and started handloading for it.  Im hoping for better accuracy.  I bet Ill get it under 2 moa easily.  Its short, balances well and recoil is tame.  The trigger is really good as well. Only problem is they are hard to find right now.  If you want a tack driver that wont be shot with a can and you want it now do a AR 10 custom build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure what they're like now because of the pandemic, but before it you could find the Armalite AR-10 SUPER SASS for just barely over $2k.  Those are badass rifles.  I'm not a big AR-10 guy, but that's one of the few along with an SR-25 that I'd actually consider getting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure what they're like now because of the pandemic, but before it you could find the Armalite AR-10 SUPER SASS for just barely over $2k.  Those are badass rifles.  I'm not a big AR-10 guy, but that's one of the few along with an SR-25 that I'd actually consider getting.
View Quote

I was thinking about a new(er) design that addressed some of the shortcomings of the original design.... been researching the POF Rogue but quality seems a hit-or-miss with them.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was thinking about a new(er) design that addressed some of the shortcomings of the original design.... been researching the POF Rogue but quality seems a hit-or-miss with them.....
View Quote

What shortcomings were you looking to address?  The SUPER SASS has a Magpul PRS stock, match trigger, 416R stainless heavy match barrel, KAC free float quad rail, and fully adjustable gas system.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What shortcomings were you looking to address?  The SUPER SASS has a Magpul PRS stock, match trigger, 416R stainless heavy match barrel, KAC free float quad rail, and fully adjustable gas system.
View Quote

Well.... the weight seems like a deal breaker  (which is why I considered then re-considered the G2 SASS). Yah, I know, go hit the gym.....which I do regularly. But I'm thinking of more versatility - maybe take it hunting, or truck gun..... I wish the TAVOR had better accuracy reports.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well.... the weight seems like a deal breaker  (which is why I considered then re-considered the G2 SASS). Yah, I know, go hit the gym.....which I do regularly. But I'm thinking of more versatility - maybe take it hunting, or truck gun..... I wish the TAVOR had better accuracy reports.
View Quote

Yeah, my buddy has a Super SASS. DAMN nice rifle, very accurate and reliable. Weighs more than my damn car. That's the only downside to the rifle, although to be fair, it wasn't designed to be humped through the woods all day.

The G2 is far better suited to your uses, but I'm leary of buying one, with it being out of production and no reliable source if spare parts.

I'd probably look elsewhere, personally. It's a shame, because I think the G2 is a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're considering a 6.5 Creedmoor, Zev makes a 20" small frame that's less than 9 pounds. 20" is ideal for me in a 6.5. It is about 3k with a 4 month lead time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Get an LMT MWS MLOK and whatever barrels you want or need. Thread over.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That I totally get.  I hunt deer with my Savage 12 LRP which weighs almost 15lb with the scope, bipod, etc.  I only do it because I love that rifle, but it's a monster to carry through the woods.  I walk about a mile to my spot and carrying that pig tires me down by the time I'm to my blind.  So I totally get the weight thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't own one, but the POF Revolution looks really nice.  16" barrel, 7.5 lbs.
A couple hundred dollars above your budget, though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
On Friday I found PSA had the PA-10 18” SS M-LOK SSA-E on sale for $1209 so I FO’d. Figure I will give it a try to get it to run and see if it’s worth keeping. For the money it has a lot of features that I like. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who wanted to give it a try.....all sold out within 2-hours. Time will tell. I guess.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-str-ssa-e-rifle.html
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]
S&w m&p10 is what you're looking for
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
just build your own aero

before panic a basic was about a grand,
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Build a Aero M5!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super SASS is a tackdriver!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On Friday I found PSA had the PA-10 18” SS M-LOK SSA-E on sale for $1209 so I FO’d. Figure I will give it a try to get it to run and see if it’s worth keeping. For the money it has a lot of features that I like. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who wanted to give it a try.....all sold out within 2-hours. Time will tell. I guess.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-str-ssa-e-rifle.html
View Quote

I look forward to your report about this PSA rifle.

I have a couple of RRA LAR-8 20in rifles that I have been very happy with...

Having said that, light they are not...

Also, they take FAL mags (which I have), so that's potentially an additional problem for some.

Forrest

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
S&w m&p10 is what you're looking for
View Quote

I wouldn't disagree. Mine is a shooter! The base rifle is pretty light, too.

Overall, I have no complaints. Great rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#20]
That PSA SSAe deal seems pretty good. I'd love to grab a decent AR10 in a couple years if everything comes back to somewhere affordable as far as ammo is concerned. I recently got back into the 308  /762 game but that was crossing off a bucket list item and would love to get more into the caliber.

I'm definitely following this thread and doing other research as an sr25 would be out of the question if they are making reliable rigs for a quarter the price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I've become a big POF fan.

I love the P415 for 5.56 but the Rogue in .308 is almost hard to believe.  It's so dang light, it handles like a light weight AR in 5.56.  They clearly used some sort of dark magic to make that thing.

I have 2 Rogues and a Revolution DI.  I love the bolt hold open on the Revolution DI, but I'm not sure it's worth the weight add.  

I just impulse bought a Revolution DI pistol on gunbroker tonight because...reasons. I've never had an SBR in .308, but it seems like something I need in my life.

I should add, I used to own 3 DPMS G2's that ADCO mod'd for me, and I own 2 SCAR 17's and a SCAR 20.

If I could only keep one .308 semi, it would hands down be one of the Rogues.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I HIGHLY recommend checking out the XCR-M in .308. Beautifully soft shooting rifle and 100% made in the USA. They have a bunch of options available as well, barrel profiles, lengths, pistol / rifle options as well.

Robinson Armament
View Quote

Can XCRs use AR triggers and can you get their handguards in Mlok? I tried building on of their rifles on their website, but keymod was the only option.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Build a Aero M5!
View Quote

This guy knows what's up. At the beginning of the year I built an Aero M5 with a 20" barrel. I had roughly 1100 on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I would also consider building your own rifle. It's not a complex process with basic tools and you have something you've created in the end. If you're looking for a factory rifle a Savage, M&P10, Sig Sauer Tread and others are a good value although prices are up now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I think you can build an Aero M5 for less than that.  I built one using some parts that I probably could have gone cheaper on and I spent less than $2k.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]
My "dream" AR-308 would be a 16" LMT MWS-based gun, but those are pretty expensive.  And super hard to find even in good times.

So I've been looking at building an M5.   Good idea on paper, but good luck getting all of the components to pull it off right now.  Should have done it a year ago, as it stands I'm not going to mash F5 hoping parts come in stock or paying crazy scalper premiums.  At least I have a design to work from should things get better.

Out of the box, the Sig 716i Tread is a compelling offering and I'd give those a serious look.  Haven't seen any in a long time though.

Stag Arms has completed their move and is starting production again.  Seems like they're starting with restricted state Stag-10 models but hopefully they'll get back into the free states before long.  Those are definitely underserved markets so I can understand why they'd target them first.  I remember the good ol' days when Stag was one of the best choices for rolling your own.  Hopefully the new Stag Arms can recapture that legacy.

Springfield has their .308 AR line as well; politics aside, their product line confuses me and I'm not a fan of the styling.  Marketing for them is kinda dumb too.  Should just stick to their OTHER .308 product but ARs are/were a license to print money.

PSA has been through so many generations on their design that I quit following them.  Probably a great value like all things PSA.  Used to have a lot more choice in their offerings compared to my visit to their site this morning.  Yay 2020/2021.

I'd love to see IWI introduce a .308 Zion AR, their .223 Zion is a great design with solid value.  If Springfield can compete with their own products, IWI should too. If they priced it below where the Galil .308 and Tavor 7 sit, it wouldn't cannibilize their markets too badly.  Buyers of this stuff are either (1) locked into a price point, (2) like buying anything/everything from a manufacturer, or (3) support diversity in the gun safe where having a .308 bullpup, .308 AR, and .308 AK is just an awesome choice to have.  I fit in categories 2 and 3 there, so I hope they do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top