Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2018 11:32:49 AM EDT
Getting my first Mosin-Nagant 91/30 this week and I'm curious what you guys shoot through it.

Any specific brand/grains/casing that's good for a Mosin?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine all seem to shoot best with the surplus 147 grain silver tip rounds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The surplus that used to be 60 bux per 440 rounds in a spam can.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 spam cans I dumped into some 50 cal cans. Shoot it all. But after 50 rounds, kinda gets sore.

*Edit. I also have the silver tip. That is some very accurate hard hitting ammo. Has a mild steel core. Now if you had a PSL, those are the go to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite mosin ammo is the Albanian brass cased in spam cans that I stockpiled when it was cheap. It feeds and extracts easier than steel cased. Like buttah!
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 spam cans I dumped into some 50 cal cans. Shoot it all. But after 50 rounds, kinda gets sore.

*Edit. I also have the silver tip. That is some very accurate hard hitting ammo. Has a mild steel core. Now if you had a PSL, those are the go to.
View Quote
Nope....big bucket of nope.

Cleaning that thing is a pain in the butt anyway, no way am I feeding anything corrosive in the PSL or the SVT-40.

Corrosive/surplus is only for the bolt guns, and my hand loads shoot way better then anything surplus....only time I shoot that is if I want to make some noise.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Surplus is pushing cost of new production non corrosive ammo.

I prefer Brass case, Albanian LPS and Bulgarian L Ball. Bulgarian Brass is very re loadable if you stocked up on Berdan primers when they were available.

Commercial, Brown/Silver Bear 174 or 185 FMJBT usually shoots good in everything along with 174 MFS.

Best Surplus I've ever shot short of the Russian sniper was Chinese 1980's copper wash LPS which hasn't been available for years since the Chinese ban.

Czech silver tip  is waaaaay overated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#7]
All I shoot is surplus that I stocked up on years ago. I still have crates and cans of about 12 different countries and loadings. Some of them are great in one rifle and terrible in another gun. You really need to obtain a variety of ammo to see what works best in your particular rifle(s).
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have all types of 7.62x54r

Chinese ( I still have about 500 rds left after all these years)
Albanian - QC sucks , but I get pretty decent accuracy out of a few Mosins and my PSL
Polish
Cheq - a few different types - good stuff
Russian
Hungarian
Bulgarian

Honestly , each rifle seems to like different stuff and I agree the Cheq silver tip can be overrated to a degree. Even Hungarian Heavy Ball to my rifles is just ok , while other have said its great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Wolf FMJ I bought 15 years ago. I'm lazy about cleaning my guns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot various surplus light ball through my M44 (I've shot Soviet, Czechoslovakian, Polish, and Bulgarian through it so far).  I've also shot Wolf, Prvi, and Olympic through it in the past.  POI and POA match quite well.  Corrosive ammo does warrant same-day and more extensive cleaning.

My M39 does not like that stuff.  POI is way above POA.  At 300m I can aim for the dirt below the target and still have my rounds sail over the target or just hit the top support for it.  At 150m I'm still hitting around the top of the paper when aiming at the bottom of the target or just below it.  Sights are calibrated for the D166 round, which uses a heavier projectile with a different BC at a lower velocity.  I recently tried Wolf Extra Match, which is Russian LVE match ammo.  Uses a 200-grain projectile like the D166, but the specs aren't quite the same.  At 300m rounds hit the top of the paper when aiming at the 6 o'clock position on the bullseye, but all shots fall on paper, and at 150m they're still hitting above the bullseye, but not by a whole lot.

Groups using LVE are tighter than any other ammo I've tried in either weapon so far.  Some surplus light ball it should be noted shoots better than others.  I've also had issues with the brass in the 1950s Bulgarian stuff, to include split cases and even a case rupture.  Fortunately, the Mosin-Nagant diverted all of the gas away from me.  It did have the bonus of coming loaded on chargers, however.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Assorted surplus mainly Polish and Russian with some other mixed in , as well as a lot of non corrosive I grabbed when it was reasonable
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok this thread has gotten away from me

Any ammo that you guys suggest for someone who doesn’t have surplus?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Brown Bear 203 grain.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok this thread has gotten away from me

Any ammo that you guys suggest for someone who doesn’t have surplus?
View Quote
If you have Academy near you they sell the house brand NC 185 grain and it is on sale for $8 a box of 20. Otherwise SG Ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brown Bear 203 grain.
View Quote
Quoted:

If you have Academy near you they sell the house brand NC 185 grain and it is on sale for $8 a box of 20. Otherwise SG Ammo.
View Quote
Any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All I shoot is surplus that I stocked up on years ago. I still have crates and cans of about 12 different countries and loadings. Some of them are great in one rifle and terrible in another gun. You really need to obtain a variety of ammo to see what works best in your particular rifle(s).
View Quote
Or Reload.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I reload for both my M28-30 and M39.

Lapua brass, CCI LR primers, Lapua D166 bullets and Vihtavuori N140 (40grs if I remember correctly). This replicates the Finnish service round for the TAK85 Sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Surplus is always nice. Hungarian Heavy Ball was probably some of the nicest surplus ammo I ever shot. Not that you see it very often any more. Most of the Russian surplus lsp you see any more is from the 80s and was intended as LMG ammo. It shoots decent but is not the most consistent. Nice for a long day at the range, your shoulder will give out before your wallet catches up with you.

When I am feeling lazy and don't want to shoot corrosive I prefer Privi. I am not sure why but it has been kind of hard to find lately. It shoots nice and it is great reloading brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
pick one

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/762x54r-ammo
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Any surplus spam cans on gunbroker worth buying?

Also, should I avoid lacquered ammo? Or is it good to go?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#21]
You're probably not going to use nearly as much ammo as you think you are I bought t a 440 round spam-can 9 years ago and I have 400 rounds left
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Surplus Hungarian Light Ball. Used to get it for $50 for a 440 rd tin. Man do I miss those days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Ended up buying 5 boxes of Brown Bear 203gr and 5 boxes of Silver Bear 174gr from SGAmmo

They both had good reviews online
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only real issue with the lacquer coated surplus is if you shoot like 15-20 rounds in short time. The chamber will heat up enough it it can soften the lacquer and it will get a little gummy/sticky. You might need to clean the chamber from time to time but other wise it will preform the same.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ended up buying 5 boxes of Brown Bear 203gr and 5 boxes of Silver Bear 174gr from SGAmmo

They both had good reviews online
View Quote
The 203 grain offering was deadly accurate in my M-44.  I downed a few deer with that ammo and open sights.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine all shoot best with heavier ammo. 174-203 gr
The brown bear 203gr SPs do very well
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only real issue with the lacquer coated surplus is if you shoot like 15-20 rounds in short time. The chamber will heat up enough it it can soften the lacquer and it will get a little gummy/sticky. You might need to clean the chamber from time to time but other wise it will preform the same.
View Quote
No it won't.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any surplus spam cans on gunbroker worth buying?

View Quote
For your questions , Yes the cans are fine, It is what most of us bought. No problems with lacquered ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine HATES the grey steel polymer coated shit.  After 10 rounds the bolt will stick every time.

Brass (PPU, S&B, etc) will stick 1 or 2 out of 5.

The green steel-cased laquered crap (Tula? Wolf? Who knows)
Smooth as fucking butter.

I don't know why this be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You're probably not going to use nearly as much ammo as you think you are I bought t a 440 round spam-can 9 years ago and I have 400 rounds left
View Quote
Don't listen to this, OP.

Shoot ALL the ammo, until your shoulder looks like a badly-made stained-glass window.  Shoot until your thumb is shredded by repeatedly fucking with the cheap shit godawful chicom repro stripper clips.  Shoot 'til cosmoline and oil and whatever Soviet chemicals the stock was impregnated with leaches out and sticks to your hand!! Work that stubby little bolt till your fingers bleed!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No it won't.
View Quote
Yes it will. You need to get it hot enough you can't barely touch the barrel, but it will happen. Generally, your not going to shoot enough in a short enough amount of time to manage that. Also a lot of the cleaners like Breakfree will work as lacquer thinner, so if any of that manages to stay liquid/moist in your chamber it will cause the same issue.

Small Edit-

I should say there is a lot of variation between plants and years, not all the lacquer is the same. I had a tin of Polish lacquer coated that was great, never really had an issue with any of it. But I also had a tin of either Yogo, or Romanian lacquer coated that was only 10-15 rounds and the bolt would start to get spongy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shoot ALL the ammo, until your shoulder looks like a badly-made stained-glass window.  Shoot until your thumb is shredded by repeatedly fucking with the cheap shit godawful chicom repro stripper clips.  Shoot 'til cosmoline and oil and whatever Soviet chemicals the stock was impregnated with leaches out and sticks to your hand!! Work that stubby little bolt till your fingers bleed!!!
View Quote
 THIS !!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This may be the best advice ever given here
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I shoot whatever 7.62x54r that I can get.  I prefer buying it by the tin can (440 rounds per). You'll probably find it for much more money than in the past (as many have bragged about).  I figure, prices go up......that's life.

Around here, I'm still finding Russian and Bulgarian LPS/"silver tip" ammo (in tins) listed in a local web site.  I don't want to have it shipped.*  I just go and pick it up.

The ammo will vary (lot number, powder lot, manufacturing facility, etc.....)  I expect that it means......that I'll have some variations with accuracy.  In other words.....keep your ammo separated by lot#.

Then....I'm not scared of corrosive ammo.  I just clean my rifle after each range trip (within 24 hours). I don't buy the expensive cleaning fluids (store stuff).  IMHO....it's not needed (also true for windex).  Hot soapy water is all that I use for cleaning.  Of course, you'll need to oil it after you're done cleaning it.  And, it's a good idea to check it after a day or so.  Just to be sure that rust is NOT developing.

*But, in the past I have bought from SG Ammo.  They are dependable and prices were good (back then).  I wish....that those days might return someday.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh BTW...don't expect one MOA accuracy out of your Russian run of the mill MN (military iron sights w/ surplus ammo). It ain't happening. If someone claims they can....it would be worth the trip to the range to see it for yourself, "in person."

Off the bench at 100 yards......the best that I've been able to do was about 4.5 inch. Course, I have old eyes. Frankly, even at that.....I was happy enough.

Small groups? Try it at 25 yards with iron sights and surplus ammo.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh BTW...don't expect one MOA accuracy out of your Russian run of the mill MN (military iron sights w/ surplus ammo). It ain't happening. If someone claims they can....it would be worth the trip to the range to see it for yourself, "in person."

Off the bench at 100 yards......the best that I've been able to do was about 4.5 inch. Course, I have old eyes. Frankly, even at that.....I was happy enough.

Small groups? Try it at 25 yards with iron sights and surplus ammo.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Get a real PU Mosin (not the fake made ones) and you can be sub-MOA at 100 yards.

My real PU loves Tulammo 148gr and gets sub-MOA from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top