Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2023 10:39:16 AM EDT
Looking at the Ruger American.  What say you?

EDIT:  I bought the Ruger American.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the American in the heavy barrel “Target” version. Good little rifle. I traded it on something awhile back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Main use?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Ruger American rimfire and it was a fun plinker. Sold it but now wish I didn’t. I wish theyd bring back the talo edition that was stainless with a nice walnut stock. Been looking for one for a long time now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you’re looking for the most accurate, a CZ but they are pricey.

If you have Walmarts local and yours still sell firearms, they sell a “Walmart version” only Savage Mkii 22lr.  It comes in At-One stock with a cheap scope.  This version only comes in that zombie green color stock.  It sells for $459 at Walmart.  After the CZ, it’s going to be in the top 3 for grouping potential.

The At-One stock had an adjustable comb and cheek riser.

Walmart also sells their “Walmart exclusive” 93r17 (17hmr) in the same stock but in red for $449.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Savage 93R22 LR Mk II FV heavy varmint barrel with polymer stock.   I also have a 93R17 Mk II FV 17 HMR, heavy varmint barrel with polymer stock.   They both shoot great but I added a cheek riser because the comb is to low on the factory stock.   There are Savage rimfire rifles that have the larger bolt nob and better stock (tactical model) TR model but they are more expensive.   I’ve been very satisfied with my Savage but they are tools and not fancy.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=25745
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the intended use?  Precision rimfire? Plinking?  Squirrel hunting?  Since you mentioned bolt, I will assume precision rimfire.  I recently put together a Bergara B14 22LR action in an MPA stock and I am pleased with it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of the heavy barrel savages WITHOUT the F black plastic stock should do fine.

The F stock ones too, but the front is too flexy and can affect accuracy
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking at the Ruger American.  What say you?
View Quote

Good gun. With a suppressor, varmints don’t hear it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
OST
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Vudoos are nice
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I really enjoy my Bergara BMR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Main use?
View Quote

This plus budget

I have savage MK2 fvsr, CZ 452 and CZ 457 and couple other older bolt actions

Love them all but each have a purpose
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Savage MkII FVSR
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a Savage FVSR that I put a Boyd’s stock on and it was really nice. I sold it to my friend. The magazines are a bit pricey and one of them “split open” at the side so I had to squeeze it back together and then “flare” the tab that held the side on.

Get the Ruger American because the magazines are 10/22, they are available everywhere, and they are a better quality magazine that doesn’t need to protrude out of the bottom of the rifle.

Edit to add that I bought a Begara BMR to replace my old FVSR because I wanted a bolt action .22.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't matter which one you buy. There will be more. Damn things are like Lays chips. Can't have just one. Picked up a new Christensen Ranger today because my CZ's and Rugers were needing a new playmate. Definitely get a threaded barrel and a 22lr suppressor, because suppressed 22lr bolt guns are the most fun you can have with your pants on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got a 10/22 compact, probably my favorite gun at the moment.  It’s accurate, handy, came with fire sights, and will hopefully get me a rifleman patch

Edit: just read bolt gun.  Reading is obviously for idiots
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#17]
As others have indicated really need to know what the mission of the rifle will be.

I started competitions in NRL22 with a savage mark II, and it does pretty well for a cheap rifle actually.
The Ruger American would be in the same general category of economical bolt guns.

A step up in quality and performance would be the basic CZ’s or a tikka

Beyond that the sky is the limit

( some guys I shoot with who are far more serious about this stuff than I am have nearly ten grand in the 22 they use - vudoo or rim X zco optics chassis stocks etc)
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Do it! They make an excellent plinker. Mine is the compact version and the last rimfire rifle I'd part with. I own a couple 10/22's and a Bergara BMR Carbon too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Tikka T1X suppressed is an accurate giggle factory.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you’re looking for the most accurate, a CZ but they are pricey.

If you have Walmarts local and yours still sell firearms, they sell a “Walmart version” only Savage Mkii 22lr.  It comes in At-One stock with a cheap scope.  This version only comes in that zombie green color stock.  It sells for $459 at Walmart.  After the CZ, it’s going to be in the top 3 for grouping potential.

The At-One stock had an adjustable comb and cheek riser.

Walmart also sells their “Walmart exclusive” 93r17 (17hmr) in the same stock but in red for $449.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_0748-2824027.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_0747-2823911.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_0746-2823905.jpg

View Quote

I'll second this. Mine shoots an inch at 100 with CCI SV. Shot some prairie dogs with it last weekend. I like the stock and it's threaded which was a must.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I went with CZ just because they are higher quality rifles then the Savage or RAR's. Some people think they are pricey but I think they are a bargain for what you get. If any American company produced a 22 rifle of that quality level, they would charge $800+ for the basic model (look what the 77/22's went for 10 years ago).

That said, the Savage and Ruger options are functional fine and do get the job done. Between the 2, I would get the RAR for the magazines if nothing else. I actually almost did get the RAR instead of the CZ for that reason.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Cooper 57m Custom Classic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Bergara BMR
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]
If you don't mind looking for a used sporter/target model, search for a Remington 541S Custom Sporter.  It is a match action with sporter profile barrel and stock.  It will justify Eley Match, Tenex, Lapua Center-X ammo.

Or, you can mount a good rimfire 2-7x hunting scope and shoot squirrels between the eyes.

They have become quite valuable. Expect to pay $1000 to $1800 depending on condition.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Ruger Precision.  On sale they can be found for $450.  I had an old Weaver K15 I needed to mount on something.   With CCI standard velocity it does one hole at the indoor range.   Barrel is threaded if that’s your thing.  Trigger is adjustable down to 2 3/4 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:45:56 AM EDT
[#26]
The RAR is my favorite rimfire bolt gun, of the examples I’ve seen. It just works, action is smooth, good trigger. Then taking 10/22 mags is just icing on the cake. Definitely an upgrade from any of the Savage actions.

I’d skip a base model 10/22 though. The TCR22 has spoiled me for it’s features and performance vs price. The Bergara 10/22 clones also seem nice. Some of the Ruger options with bells and whistles may be worth it, since AFAIK the TCR was discontinued.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought the Savage FVSR and put it in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock. It works good but with that stock it is too heavy for what I do with it and the magazines kind of suck. Then I said to Hell with it, and bought an Anchutz sporter on a 52 action. It works good but it has large diameter barrel that is too heavy for what I do, and the magazines are $$$ but great. Both of these guns shoot good and are at both ends of the price spectrum. The Savage with stock, glass, rings & mount, and extra mags was ~$400. The Anschutz was about 10X that with glass, mags ect.

My views on it are, for the best bang for the buck, go Savage or Ruger. Put the money in "good" glass, avoid Chineseisum. I would replace the stocks on both but go with a lighter one than the Pro Varmint. Diversified Innovated Products (DIP) is where I went for stocks and stuff, I have had great service from them. I kind of give the nod to Ruger over Savage, just because of mags. Either rifle will get the job done and not put you in the poor-house.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#28]
lol, OP what did you buy?   You must be at the range because you never came back!

If you want a precision rifle game .22 look at the Bergaras.  

A small game rifle plinker can go in any vein,  an older Remington would be a fine choice!  Any of the CZs that fit your fancy or a ruger 77/22 is also quite nice.   Nice rifles aren’t always new rifles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
lol, OP what did you buy?   You must be at the range because you never came back!

If you want a precision rifle game .22 look at the Bergaras.  

A small game rifle plinker can go in any vein,  an older Remington would be a fine choice!  Any of the CZs that fit your fancy or a ruger 77/22 is also quite nice.   Nice rifles aren’t always new rifles.
View Quote

this thread inspired me.  I just scooped a Bergara BMR Steel for $450.

I have a spare Trijicon Accupower 3-9x40 that I'll try on it.  Now I just need rings.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

this thread inspired me.  I just scooped a Bergara BMR Steel for $450.

I have a spare Trijicon Accupower 3-9x40 that I'll try on it.  Now I just need rings.
View Quote

Does that Accupower have adjustable focus?  Rimfire parallax is much different than centerfire, especially for shots inside 50 yards.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
For those complaining about the Savage MKii magazines, they are somewhat known to have issues.  Some experience no issues and other have to tweak them.  Csspecs makes magazines that solve this issue but they are only available in 20 rounds at this time. I have no issues with my Mkii magazines but did have some issues with my Savage 22wmr.  I have feed issues using hollow points or standard round tip but no issues with the Varmint tip rounds.

Csspecs Savage MKii magazines
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#32]
i
Quoted:

Does that Accupower have adjustable focus?  Rimfire parallax is much different than centerfire, especially for shots inside 50 yards.
View Quote

It does not, it's fixed at 100.  It's not likely a long-term solution for this gun but I have it sitting here so I thought I'd see how it works.  I have other scopes that are adjustable and may swap some things around.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bergara BMR
View Quote

Mine is a tack driver but from a functional standpoint it might as well say Hi-Point on the side...
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#34]
OP got lost in the world of 22lr bolt actions
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Bergara B14 in a Q chassis....

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I’d skip a base model 10/22 though. The TCR22 has spoiled me for it’s features and performance vs price. The Bergara 10/22 clones also seem nice. Some of the Ruger options with bells and whistles may be worth it, since AFAIK the TCR was discontinued.
View Quote

I do prefer the TCR over the base 10/22. Internal parts quality and the integral pic rail make it the rifle Ruger should have built. If you have a Dunham's Sports nearby, they still have some in stock. Seriously thinking about picking up another one just to keep for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Get a Christensen Arms Ranger and never regret your purchase.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/pOfQIAy.jpg

View Quote

Sooo when did they start making this chassis? am I just out of the loop? EDIT: looks like the side chick. I've heard them speak of it, just didn't know what it was. Pretty cool
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Get a Christensen Arms Ranger and never regret your purchase.
View Quote

Unless you get one with a bolt handle that flops around like a wet noodle and Christensen wants you to ship the whole gun back so they can attempt to fix their crappy QC while you wait a couple months to get it back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#40]
CZ 457
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/pOfQIAy.jpg

View Quote

That's a face only a mother could love good lord.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I recently bought a Bergara BMR carbon. It’s a sweet little rig. No much aftermarket support yet. So if you want something that can be upgraded or personalized look elsewhere.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top