Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2019 2:53:18 PM EDT
So I just got PCS’d to Rock Island Arsenal a few days ago and I just finished walking thru the museum. It’s a small museum but if you ever have a chance to walk thru it I recommend doing so. Despite its small size they have a lot of interesting variants and pieces, including the first ever 1903 to come off the line.

Anyway, I walking thru the military rifles displayed and I come across a couple of 1903a4’s and one in particular caught my attention because it’s topped with a Weaver K4. As far as I was tracking no K4 scopes were ever used with a4 rifles. The museum has binders with the documents on each rifle and sure enough it’s cataloged as a 1943 built a4 with a K4.

Probably means nothing since it was acquired in 1977 but I still found it interesting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I just got PCS’d to Rock Island Arsenal a few days ago and I just finished walking thru the museum. It’s a small museum but if you ever have a chance to walk thru it I recommend doing so. Despite its small size they have a lot of interesting variants and pieces, including the first ever 1903 to come off the line.

Anyway, I walking thru the military rifles displayed and I come across a couple of 1903a4’s and one in particular caught my attention because it’s topped with a Weaver K4. As far as I was tracking no K4 scopes were ever used with a4 rifles. The museum has binders with the documents on each rifle and sure enough it’s cataloged as a 1943 built a4 with a K4.

Probably means nothing since it was acquired in 1977 but I still found it interesting.
View Quote
The Rock Island museum is out-freaking-standing.  FYI they didn't have 1903 #1.  They had Rock Island 1903 #1.  Springfield Armory 1903 #1 is in the Springfield Arsenal.  It was supposed to be a museum piece all along but it was rebuilt and issued out in WWI.

The K4 was indeed a A4 scope.  I've seen others out in the wild.  One of the better ones I've seen was an A4 with a M84 like M-1Ds had.

Also, Rock Island has a large collection of verified (by forensics) Indian rifles used against Custer at the Big Horn.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Been there many times, Davenport is my hometown.  Fascinating place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top