Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2018 3:41:37 PM EDT
I was planning on getting it in few months after a few other things happened financially in my life  but this recent communist uprising has forced my hand. I even bought a half dozen AUG mags off 44mag for $20 a pop about 3 weeks ago on clearance knowing this day would come at some point. Well I Said "Fuck it", this morning and threw my typically cautious approach to my finances to the wind and pulled the proverbial trigger. I ordered a Steyr AUG A3 M1 Black with extended rail from buds. It was about as good a price as I was gonna get from my research and last one of that model in stock. AUG club is the anything I need to know?

Also, Shhhhh...don't tell the ol' lady. Ha
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Following! Always been interested in an AUG but never pursued one. Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything you need to know?

2020 TSM sear. Find it and buy it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard this. I'll assume you'll say it's worth the coin. I was planning on finding one
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, I bought one recently for the same damn reason. I added the 20/20 TSM before I even shot it, I agree it's pretty much mandatory. I also replaced the nostaligic POS stock charge handle with a Manticore Arms Mini which is fantastic though the micro is probably the perfect length. It is an amazing rifle as you'll find out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've heard this. I'll assume you'll say it's worth the coin. I was planning on finding one
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy now and dont look back. Stock up on more mags too.

http://www.ratworxusa.com/product.20-tsm-auga3
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, I bought one recently for the same damn reason. I added the 20/20 TSM before I even shot it, I agree it's pretty much mandatory. I also replaced the nostaligic POS stock charge handle with a Manticore Arms Mini which is fantastic though the micro is probably the perfect length. It is an amazing rifle as you'll find out.
View Quote
Hmm, noted on the charge handle. Yeah I can't wait to try it
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never understood the charging handle hate. Operate it palm up, like God intended, and there are no issues
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
neu-trigger

Aug FLEx swivel

Also added a 7 twist barrel and a suppressor Gas valve.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never understood the charging handle hate. Operate it palm up, like God intended, and there are no issues
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I'll run it as is for now. Money into a charging handle is pretty low on the priority list at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

neu-trigger

Aug FLEx swivel

Also added a 7 twist barrel and a suppressor Gas valve.
View Quote
I intend on grabbing a TSR sear. Does the neu-trigger have a noticeable effect? For the money I figure it's worth a shot but just curious
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]
yes it does, never tried the 2020.  Figured I'd try the neu trigger first.  I see no need to change at this point.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I intend on grabbing a TSR sear. Does the neu-trigger have a noticeable effect? For the money I figure it's worth a shot but just curious
View Quote
When I got my first AUG a few months ago, I was planning on getting a 20/20 sear based on everything I had read about it.  When my AUG came I was pleasantly surprised that the trigger travel wasn't very long at all.  It was very heavy, but the travel was fine.  So, I ended up buying the Neu-Trigger and have been pleased with it - especially for 1/3 the price of the 20/20 sear.  Unfortunately I don't have a trigger pull gauge to measure before and after, but the pull was noticeably better with the Neu-Trigger.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I just rock the factory trigger/hammer pack. Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered a 16” Black A3 M1 with both the 1.5x and 3x optics so I can swap them out as needed.  I too am excited to join the AUG club!

I’d been considering a Tavor or Keltec RDB (I did have an RFB before and I liked it but sold it to fund other hobby) but then I figured I may as well buy the original bullpup.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I added the 20/20 TSM before I even shot it, I agree it's pretty much mandatory. I also replaced the nostaligic POS stock charge handle with a Manticore Arms Mini which is fantastic though the micro is probably the perfect length. It is an amazing rifle as you'll find out.
View Quote
That's exactly what I'm doing.  Ordered the AUG on Friday and should have it this Tuesday.  I also snagged the last in stock 20/20 TSM and ordered the mini.  I considered the micro but went with the middle of the road size instead.  Now if I could just find one of the 20/20 Precision Tr-1a for it...
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 3:12:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just ordered a 16” Black A3 M1 with both the 1.5x and 3x optics so I can swap them out as needed.  I too am excited to join the AUG club!

I’d been considering a Tavor or Keltec RDB (I did have an RFB before and I liked it but sold it to fund other hobby) but then I figured I may as well buy the original bullpup.
View Quote
Priorities = straight
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was planning on getting it in few months after a few other things happened financially in my life  but this recent communist uprising has forced my hand. I even bought a half dozen AUG mags off 44mag for $20 a pop about 3 weeks ago on clearance knowing this day would come at some point. Well I Said "Fuck it", this morning and threw my typically cautious approach to my finances to the wind and pulled the proverbial trigger. I ordered a Steyr AUG A3 M1 Black with extended rail from buds. It was about as good a price as I was gonna get from my research and last one of that model in stock. AUG club is the anything I need to know?

Also, Shhhhh...don't tell the ol' lady. Ha
View Quote
It doesn't sound to me like you threw caution to the wind. You did your research, you had your acceptable price point, and you didn't compromise that limit.

So, you got the rifle, you got the mags, and you're asking for advice. Mine is to get you some ammo, and go familiarize yourself with your new friend. Once you decide what you think should be improved for your own use, then come back and ask how to do it.

EDIT: Sorry to disappoint you, but AUG wasn't the first bullpup. The first bolt action bullpups appeared more than 75 years before the AUG. The British officially adopted a semi-auto bullpup into service in 1951, meaning the AUG wasn't even the first semi, or first one in government service.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I'm doing.  Ordered the AUG on Friday and should have it this Tuesday.  I also snagged the last in stock 20/20 TSM and ordered the mini.  I considered the micro but went with the middle of the road size instead.  Now if I could just find one of the 20/20 Precision Tr-1a for it...
View Quote
You bastard! I'm kidding, good snag. I was about to pull the trigger on it seeing it was the last one and I decided to wait till I got the gun and tried it before making the investment. I guess I'll have to wait regardless. I might try the Neu-Trigger first, idk yet
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It doesn't sound to me like you threw caution to the wind. You did your research, you had your acceptable price point, and you didn't compromise that limit.

So, you got the rifle, you got the mags, and you're asking for advice. Mine is to get you some ammo, and go familiarize yourself with your new friend. Once you decide what you think should be improved for your own use, then come back and ask how to do it.

EDIT: Sorry to disappoint you, but AUG wasn't the first bullpup. The first bolt action bullpups appeared more than 75 years before the AUG. The British officially adopted a semi-auto bullpup into service in 1951, meaning the AUG wasn't even the first semi, or first one in government service.
View Quote
Well to tell the whole story I was waiting to get all the hospital bills for my sons birth two months ago and see how that all shook out with insurance and everything. I also was waiting to finish and sell a house I've been flipping on the side with an AUG prize as my motivator. Coincidentally I got all the bills in the mail for the birth about 2 hours after I placed my AUG order. It was lower than we predicted and insurance covered more than expected. So it all worked out, life is peachy.  Anyways, I'm glad I did it. I looked this morning and they have another exact one back in stock now priced $120 more than I paid!

Ammo is no issue . Been playing with ARs for some time now and stocking up accordingly.  Hopefully I will have it by the weekend. Then I can molest it and see what I think after the first date. Then ask the hard questions. You could probably say the OP was more of a humble brag  than a technical question.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just rock the factory trigger/hammer pack. Works fine for me.
View Quote
Ditto.  I hosed my trigger group down in a drying Teflon lube...did the same with the trigger and trigger bar and just let fly.  Mine broke in very respectably.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ditto.  I hosed my trigger group down in a drying Teflon lube...did the same with the trigger and trigger bar and just let fly.  Mine broke in very respectably.
View Quote
I'm gonna try that first. Everyone seems to be all over the map about the trigger situation. But hell people are all over the map with any trigger. I'll run it as is first and make improvements from there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I finally got a chance to pick mine up from my local dealer this morning.  Overall, I like it as it is definitely a unique and well built piece and somewhat iconic!

No range time yet, but my initial thoughts:

1) My hand is close enough to the muzzle on this thing when using the factory vertical foregrip.  There is no reason for me to SBR this gun

2) I like the integral 1.5X Optic.  Clear with crisp reticle that can still be seen in low light.  I’ve yet to swap out for the 3X reticle that I also purchased.

3) The gun is very well balanced, yet overall it is a little heavier than anticipated.

4) I don’t like the factory trigger.  It is too long and too hard (said no girl ever ;) I ordered a 2020 Precision sear at the same time as the gun and I will try it first before exploring other options
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#25]

What is the purpose of the exposed threads just forward of the gas regulator?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#26]
There's a lot more of the exposed threads on the 20" barrel. They are there for heat dissipation (not so much on the 16") and as an attachment point for the bayonet mount
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm gonna try that first. Everyone seems to be all over the map about the trigger situation. But hell people are all over the map with any trigger. I'll run it as is first and make improvements from there.
View Quote
It takes about two hundred rounds and the trigger group will settle in pretty nicely.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It takes about two hundred rounds and the trigger group will settle in pretty nicely.
View Quote
Depends on the gun. I have one with at least 500 rounds on it and the trigger is still atrocious. My other is just fine though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Depends on the gun. I have one with at least 500 rounds on it and the trigger is still atrocious. My other is just fine though.
View Quote
Valid point.  I have heard of others that are the same....it's likely a "catch as catch can" scenario.

If, after a couple hundred rounds, the trigger doesn't break in, I would go to the metal sear.  That, in fact, was my plan if mine had not broken in so nicely.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I installed the 2020 sear tonight.   I felt the edges of the sear were a bit rough, so I softened them with a flat jewelers file.

Results....trigger was much more crisp with lighter pull and more positive reset.   I’m very pleased!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I picked my AUG up from my FFL over the weekend. This is a sweet little piece. I haven't shot it yet but I'm hoping to in the next few weeks. The trigger is quite stiff but I didn't think it was too horrible. I'm sure I'll do an upgrade at some point.

Sights??? I will put a decent red dot or possibly an ACOG eventually but I need to let the fun account refill a bit. In the mean time I was thinking of putting some folding BUIS on to make it usable as I'd probably add some anyways eventually. Anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I installed the 2020 sear tonight.   I felt the edges of the sear were a bit rough, so I softened them with a flat jewelers file.

Results....trigger was much more crisp with lighter pull and more positive reset.   I'm very pleased!
View Quote
Noted. When they come back in stock I will probably have to try it. I want to feed it some brass first though.

Edit: I just checked and they are back in stock
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I picked my AUG up from my FFL over the weekend. This is a sweet little piece. I haven't shot it yet but I'm hoping to in the next few weeks. The trigger is quite stiff but I didn't think it was too horrible. I'm sure I'll do an upgrade at some point.

Sights??? I will put a decent red dot or possibly an ACOG eventually but I need to let the fun account refill a bit. In the mean time I was thinking of putting some folding BUIS on to make it usable as I'd probably add some anyways eventually. Anyone have any recommendations?
View Quote
the magpul polymer buis are solid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am running the Pro's with a Blitzkreig front post.  Prettty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am running the Pro's with a Blitzkreig front post.  Prettty sweet.
View Quote
The regular height sights work fine? I had the feeling they'd be too tall.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally got to the range yesterday with my new AUG. To put it short, it preformed flawlessly and the trigger wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it could be. In fact I didn't think it was bad at all, it's a heavy trigger pull with a small bit of gritty ness at the beginning but it broke nicely. My buddy brought his Milspec PSA AR to compare and we both agreed the AUG had an edge on it. I may upgrade in the future but I'm in no rush. I put a borrowed red dot just for the day on it but the damn thing had a dead battery at the range so I really can't give an accuracy report.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Also I intend on getting an ACOG, probably a TA50 (3x24) once the ol' bank account rebounds a bit. Does anybody have a clue if I'd get a high or low mount? I've been unable to find anything about this gun/optic combo
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Spare parts kits are never a bad investment, though I'd wait until they go on sale.  A spare ratworx bolt with AR extractor might be worth having.  All low priority  really - right now Id focus on sights and magazines.   If you think 42 round mags will still be available, legal, and affordable 8 years from now, I don't.

I suggest at least 3 30's and 2 42's as a minimal inventory.

Also, for the poster who got the integrated optic - good call, but beware it's factory setting will be OMG level off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spare parts kits are never a bad investment, though I'd wait until they go on sale.  A spare ratworx bolt with AR extractor might be worth having.  All low priority  really - right now Id focus on sights and magazines.   If you think 42 round mags will still be available, legal, and affordable 8 years from now, I don't.

I suggest at least 3 30's and 2 42's as a minimal inventory.

Also, for the poster who got the integrated optic - good call, but beware it's factory setting will be OMG level off.
View Quote
I'll keep an eye out, being an AUG it's not like you can just stroll into any shop and grab parts.

I actually just picked up 4 more mags, they should be at my door today in fact. 2-30's and 2-42's. I'll have 6-30's and 4-42's total now. I'll keep bumping that up as funds allow. A couple more of each should suffice. But my priority now is to get an optic on it, like I stated above a Trijicon TA50 is my current plan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top