Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2020 2:43:54 PM EDT
So I got a brand new chrome lined barrel, the first chrome lined barrel I've ever owned.
There's weird looking marks on the brass.
It looks like stretch marks.
The little marks running the long way parallel with the case.
What are they and are they normal?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Rough chamber
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely not normal.

Clean your chamber and polish with JB Bore paste.

Retest

If still scratching, polish with 1,000 grit wet/dry sand paper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a flexhone tool, would that work?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Fpni
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a flexhone tool, would that work?
View Quote

@thorn653
Hold up
Whats your function like?
ETA
Or how about the general everything about the setup
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@thorn653
Hold up
Whats your function like?
ETA
Or how about the general everything about the setup
View Quote
11.5 upper with a Expo arms barrel from Primary Arms (only 11.5 I could find at the time).
Have a Superlative Arms AGB and running through a YHM Turbo.
I did end up taking some Flitz polish and a chamber mop very slowly and it got rid of most of the lines on the cases now.
But there's still some up front closer to the neck.
I just don't want to over do it and mess it up.
It functions fine, just never seen this on any of my other AR's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I would stop now unless you're planning on excessively reloading the brass. The friction of using it will clean-up all but the worst barrels and over polishing could lead to premature throat erosion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are seeing deep extractor marks on the brass as well, thats your carrier group prematurely unlocking while the brass is still gripping the walls from pressure. Eliminate that before you go doing anything else that you cant undo. With an AGB, im guessing you have it tuned well already so, hope everything smoothes out
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree that it is from a chamber that is not well polished. Each of my 5.56 chambers leave their own unique marks on the brass. The low-end barrel on my last build leaves marks much like the ones shown in the OP. So far, it has not been an issue either firing or reloading the brass. Cosmetic more than anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
As others say, cosmetic and likely will wear in with time.  Though being chrome lined, might take a little extra time; but not long.

As to the brass, you can still reload that if you want to - that's not going to cause any problems.

Though, if you have any steel cased ammo; I'd run that for the next few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I am getting the same marks on my brass.

From one of my 6920’s

Which supposedly have chrome lined barrels.

The black mark is from a sharpie marker stripe I put on the cases while they are still on the stripper clips.  Makes it easier for me to pick up MY brass when I am done shooting.

You can just barely see the dent from the ejection port or brass deflector.

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I am getting the same marks on my brass.

From one of my 6920's

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/49ABE0FE-6785-429B-B3C1-203F5E51A769-1593186.jpg

Which supposedly have chrome lined barrels.

The black mark is from a sharpie marker stripe I put on the cases while they are still on the stripper clips.  Makes it easier for me to pick up MY brass when I am done shooting.

You can just barely see the dent from the ejection port or brass deflector.

View Quote
Good to know I'm not the only one!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As others say, cosmetic and likely will wear in with time.  Though being chrome lined, might take a little extra time; but not long.

As to the brass, you can still reload that if you want to - that's not going to cause any problems.

Though, if you have any steel cased ammo; I'd run that for the next few hundred rounds.
View Quote

@lazyengineer
Would the steel case "polish" the chamber quicker than brass cased ammo?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@lazyengineer
Would the steel case "polish" the chamber quicker than brass cased ammo?
View Quote

Maybe. Aluminum probably would, but to be honest, I'm just not sure with steel.  I don't see it "polishing" much less than brass though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top