Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2021 5:37:01 PM EDT
My budget build currently wears a $20 Walmart mount holding an incandescent Surefire G2 Nitrolon, that I activate through thumb on tailcap, old school, I guess. It was also cheap since a buddy gave me the light. So, to upgrade..
I just found Battery Junction for lower cost CR123A batteries and stumbled on the flashlight section. I am fond of SureFire, and saw on that I'm not sure if it would be a good choice for a home mounted light...because it seems bright enough to start fires!

https://www.batteryjunction.com/surefire-m640df-weaponlight.html
SureFire M640DF Dual Fuel Scout Light Pro LED Weapon Light - 1500 Lumens - Includes 1 x 18650, MLOK Mount and Z68 Tailcap
View Quote

1500 lumens? In the house? 1.5 hours with the long dong battery, 1.25 with 2 CR123A.  If I get the Biden hush money, think that is a good value at $296? Or do you have a better idea? I am all ears, ladies and gentlemen.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked real hard at those but ended up going with a cloud defensive rein and it's been awesome. The surefires do seem to be incredibly popular though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Arisaka/malkoff lights are better IMO.
I own both.
https://arisakadefense.com/complete-light/
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
There's endless information out there about M600DFs.

That being said, no it's not too bright to use inside the home, especially if you use it properly. $300 is pretty steep though. In that price range, you can get a Modlite which is superior.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Modlite plhv2 with their mod button lite and a arisaka inline or side mount. Nuff said
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The Duel Fuels are nice but they don't work worth a damn with the Surefire tape switches. The issues are well documented.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Arisaka m600 call it good or if you want more compact, go m300
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I only have direct long lasting experience with Surefire and Inforce's APL and WML.  

For home defense or anything pistol I recommend Surefire without reservation.  Highly dependable combat proven brand.

I will say that I am highly interested in Modlite's new Dual Fuel OKW light head.  I'm also very interested in the Malkoff EX IR 700 for IR use.  

What I wouldn't give for a Dual Fuel that had the OKW's output, but had the Malkoff's EX IR 700 IR capability with the ability to switch over like a Surefire Vampire from white light to IR.  Oh, and could play well with all Surefire and Unity remote switches, that would be nice.  Plus, since I'm dreaming here it would be so cool if a light like that had a run time of greater than 2 hours.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Last weekend I found an old Surefire 500A light/handguard combo I picked up in a horse trade many moons ago, still had the retail sticker on it, $499 full boat-- stuck it on an M4 type I'm building for a grandboy-- we have come a loooong way, baby, a ViTac mount and a P6 outperforms it at a tenth the weight and cost
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire G2x (or 6p w/ Sportac drop-in bulb) in lo-pro scope mount on a section of pic rail does everything I need.

I have no use for tape switches.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#11]
@armoredman  If you're spending the govt hush money get the best.  Go Modlite since its basically 'free' (to you).  Its only a little more than the surefire is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Go check the EE, Rooftop sells New PLHv2s for less than that site wants for that 600DF (300$ is crazy!), and others frequently post their used ones up for less as well. The PLHv2 is incredible. You will NOT be disappointed in it. If you are worried about batteries, just buy a few spare 18650s and a good charger. Modlite requires a specific battery output for their lights to function at full strength — you need a minimum of 10 amps, but 14 or more is best. I bought some Acebeam IMR 20a 3.6v 3100mAh Li-Ion batteries off of Battery Junction and they work great in my Modlites.

The 600DF is cool out to, like, 75m, but beyond that you really notice a drop in performance. The PLHv2 is good to at least 200m, and the OKW out well past 400m, but that PLHv2 has much more spill to it, which makes it even better for home defense. Not that the 600DF is bad, or that the OKW wont do the job, but the PLHv2 is heads above both for HD usage.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
If your government or contractor though you might want to consider carefully whether you want a light that requires unique batteries from everything else. There is definitely something to be said for standardization. Also, what will your colleagues be using and what batteries will those take?

You start using a light regularly during the day throughout the night you’ll go through batteries like you wouldn’t believe especially in cold temps and even more especially if you want full power performance.

Modlites look amazing, but I haven’t considered them seriously until they came out with their dual fuel options.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Duel Fuels are nice but they don't work worth a damn with the Surefire tape switches. The issues are well documented.
View Quote

Which Duel Fuels, the Surefires DFs?

Does this apply to Unity switches?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If your government or contractor though you might want to consider carefully whether you want a light that requires unique batteries from everything else. There is definitely something to be said for standardization. Also, what will your colleagues be using and what batteries will those take?
View Quote

Well, I DO work for the government, but the only flashlights they supply us with are rechargeable MagLites than went past their useful service life approximately 20 years ago. As for my coworker, they have the most incredible diversity of lights you can think of - my little Surefire G2 Nitrolon LED is mot the cheapest of them, but some of these kids went gangbusters on lights. We require no standardization of lights/battery/etc - if we are in the poop long enough for us to swap batteries, it has been a bag day beyond bad days. Now the chase teams/TSU - THEY all use CR123As, and they carry a case of them at a time, as I am told they are good for about two hours and that's it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, I DO work for the government, but the only flashlights they supply us with are rechargeable MagLites than went past their useful service life approximately 20 years ago. As for my coworker, they have the most incredible diversity of lights you can think of - my little Surefire G2 Nitrolon LED is mot the cheapest of them, but some of these kids went gangbusters on lights. We require no standardization of lights/battery/etc - if we are in the poop long enough for us to swap batteries, it has been a bag day beyond bad days. Now the chase teams/TSU - THEY all use CR123As, and they carry a case of them at a time, as I am told they are good for about two hours and that's it.
View Quote

@Armoredman  It sounds like you've got the funds, flexibility, & the availability to use whatever you please.  I'd get a Modlite Phl or even a Cloud Defensive OWL/Rein; if you don't want to deal with a tape switch the OWL would probably be best.  You could easily carry extra batteries in a Thyrm Cellvault on a carrier or bag ( https://thyrm.com/product/cellvault-18-battery-storage/).  Or get all 3 & sell the ones you don't want on the EE to help us poors.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Modlite PHL(?)

Bright as hell outdoors, but I've had no problems using it in my house.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#18]
For handheld mod light plhv2
For rifle mounted mod light okw
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m going to disagree a bit here.

What’s the area / distances / etc you will be encountering? Mission drives the gear. I have a PHLv2 on my work carbine and do not see the need for the OKW.  In my opinion, the OKW is great outdoors but the concentration of the beam is not as helpful as the spill the PHL gives you inside.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I will definitely look into that, thank you all for your help. When we get the hush money from Xiden, we will see which one of them is available. Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Pass on the 640.

M600DF - Fine, lots of spill

Modlite PLHV2 - Spill and hot spot

Modlite OKW - Mostly hot spot, outstanding punch for outside or burning through photonic barriers in urban environment

Either way just be sure to get a switch the lets the light do its thing. Unity Hotbutton, Modlite Modbutton, or Modlite Modbutton Lite
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my Unity Sync and Hot Button, the Hot Button especially.  If Unity came out with a dual lead Hot Button I'd be all about buying one.

One thing I really like is my Kinetic Design Group (KDG) MLOK Universal QD Offset Mount.  Those QD mounts are nice and make switching out flashlights ridiculously easy without having to worry about lining up the lug nuts of a traditional MLOK mount.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want low weight and only need 50 yards of realistic range and in... not a 100 yard+ light...  great for SBR, PCC, shotgun, etc. or realistic self defense use. Smokes the 500 lumen Surefire Scout 300.

Buy the following:

MALKOFF E2 SUPER head
ARISAKA 1 cell body
MALKOFF E Series click tailcap or ARISAKA temp tailcap
ARISAKA Offset Scout Mount
16340 Vapcell INR 800mah 7A cells

This is the smallest and lightest true rifle light you are going to get. Output is 900+ lumens for a single cell Scout light. The 7A Vapcell 16340 performs better than the 16650 the head was designed for.

Compared to the x300 Ultra 1000 lumen and Streamlight HLX railmount 1000 lumen it compares favorably with a noticeably larger hot spot with just a hair less candela. It is also more of a true white color.

There is litterally nothing lighter in its class and a far superior choice to single 123 cell options from Surefire, Arisaka, or Malkoff.

I have seversl Modlites too, but they are much larger, heavier, and less robust.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Just really wish someone would come out with a White/IR light that had decent white light output.  

Hate that we have to sacrifice lumens for a combo White/IR.   Although I'll say my Surefire X300V seems to have about the same throw as regular X300 just not the same brightness.  

I may just have to get a MAWL and end up adding that heavy and expensive thing on just so that I have the IR light output that I want while still have a nice white light on the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pass on the 640.

Modlite OKW - Mostly hot spot, outstanding punch for outside or burning through photonic barriers in urban environment

Either way just be sure to get a switch the lets the light do its thing. Unity Hotbutton, Modlite Modbutton, or Modlite Modbutton Lite
View Quote

Thanks!  That is a great summary and is very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pass on the 640.

If I can remember ill take a shot of all three of those^ heads in my apartment against the wall but that description is on point. Depending on which LED you choose in the modlite the color of the surefire tends to be more "warm" while both my modlites are "cool".

I just recently picked up the M600DF so i cant report much on it but my modlites are tanks and the OKW is on my main rifle with a LPVO and the PLH head is on a flashlight body that i carry in my pocket everyday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top