Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2022 7:27:48 PM EDT
Like the title says, we need to allreciate how awesome the Calico M951/Liberty series is.

Its the PCC with the least recoil, on par with the MPX and i feel even lower than the MP5 in that aspect.

It had a vertical foregrip that interfaced with holes in the forend, as well as a sliding multiple position stock.
Also a weaver scope mount and a “bridge” style mount for a laser. All in the 80’s.

Its helical magazine was revolutionary (pun intended) in making a high capacity magazine in a very small form factor.

As well as other design choices which helped combat recoil.

Fun fact: Calico SMG variants originally ran at 2500 RPM which would empty the 100 round magazine in about a second, until it was slowed down to 1000 RPM.

Theres a very 80’s VhS rip of a Calico promo video on Youtube.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had every one they ever produced. I still have that wood stocked "Spaceballs" rifle. None of them work worth a damn, the mags are the problem.

I wish they did work....good idea but they are gone and forgotten for a reason.
View Quote

But they arent gone, the company is still producing new guns, and updating older models if you send one in. I’m guessing mine must be broken because its functioning fine, and Ian has made a couple videos showing his working reliably.

If you wanna dump that wood stocked one sometime let me know, if its reasonable i might be interested.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Like the title says, we need to allreciate how awesome the Calico M951/Liberty series is.

Its the PCC with the least recoil, on par with the MPX and i feel even lower than the MP5 in that aspect.

It had a vertical foregrip that interfaced with holes in the forend, as well as a sliding multiple position stock.
Also a weaver scope mount and a “bridge” style mount for a laser. All in the 80’s.

Its helical magazine was revolutionary (pun intended) in making a high capacity magazine in a very small form factor.

As well as other design choices which helped combat recoil.

Fun fact: Calico SMG variants originally ran at 2500 RPM which would empty the 100 round magazine in about a second, until it was slowed down to 1000 RPM.

Theres a very 80’s VhS rip of a Calico promo video on Youtube.

View Quote

One of those designs that look great on paper--like bullpups.

Fixed rear sight on the magazine makes the sights near useless beyond pistol range. Magazines fail regularly and the pistol grip assembly on the full autos cracked so they were shunned by police and military as unreliable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fixed rear sight on the magazine makes the sights near useless beyond pistol range. Magazines fail regularly and the pistol grip assembly on the full autos cracked so they were shunned by police and military as unreliable.
View Quote

The sights dont seem any worse than the sights on something like an AK which is a post and notch sight, also if the sights are an issue they’ve always offered a sight mount.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've had every one they ever produced. I still have that wood stocked "Spaceballs" rifle. None of them work worth a damn, the mags are the problem.

View Quote

He shot my hair!
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The magazines were super finicky. Drum mags are problematic at best. Anything I can say about drum magazines has already been said here so just watch the video:

Why Drum Magazines are a Bad Idea

And that's all regular drum mags. The additional complication of it snaking around the tube the way the Callico did likely makes all the points Ian makes even more difficult to make.

It's a cool curio but as a practical PCC it's just not a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And that's all regular drum mags. The additional complication of it snaking around the tube the way the Callico did likely makes all the points Ian makes even more difficult to make.

It's a cool curio but as a practical PCC it's just not a good idea.
View Quote

He also had a video with it running fine on his PCC course, but then had some issues with a light primer strike, however it fed fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the Calico for the interesting design and form factor. But like others have called out, I’ve heard of more reliability issues than I would be comfortable with, and the rear sight on the mag would be a no-go for me, personally. I thought the concept of a helical magazine was interesting, and the Russian Bizon SMG is the only other one I’m aware of to use that design. What’s more, it was cool they used a roller delayed blowback action. It seems like the Calico checked off all the boxes of having potential, but like the AR18/180, it just never took off.

Interesting to note, one of the books I have on roller delayed blowback guns has a section on the Calico. There’s a picture of Boris Yeltsin holding one, and the caption said the owner of Calico was unsure of how, since he was unaware of any transaction that would have resulted in Yeltsin getting his hands on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]
They are still around, and they make an upper for the M11/9 that uses their mags.

Their new quad rail is horrifically huge.

I've wondered for years if someone was going to try copying their gun, but flipping the design upside down for a bottom mounted drum like the Bizon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, my experience was a crap-tastic whiz bang.  I'm NEVER going back.

I already appreciated it too much.  Couldn't get it gone fast enough.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The ones I sold at my gun shop in the late 1980s all worked - .22 and 9mm. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like... Bullpups?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Hi-Point-9mm-carbines/48-531026/#i5770279
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]
       I have one of the wood stocked .22 versions and it has worked fine although I don't shoot it very often.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But they arent gone, the company is still producing new guns, and updating older models if you send one in. I’m guessing mine must be broken because its functioning fine, and Ian has made a couple videos showing his working reliably.

If you wanna dump that wood stocked one sometime let me know, if its reasonable i might be interested.
View Quote

What number is this Calico? Has to be at least the fourth or fifth by now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish mine was full auto
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Our rental full auto hasn’t had any issues - fun little gun for sure
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Always thought they were neat, but then i shot a few. What a cruel joke of a gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Starts at about 1:20

Download full Movie Stone Cold

Early 90s a friend had a Calico 9mm rifle that fired bursts, especially when it hadn't been cleaned for a while. Attn ATF: that friend is already dead and his dog is too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel like I'm one of the only people to have zero issues with the mags - assuming they're clean and wound correctly.

I personally didn't like the guns themselves but I've built other guns/uppers which use the mags with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't shoot mine much, but it has never jammed on me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I feel like I'm one of the only people to have zero issues with the mags - assuming they're clean and wound correctly.

I personally didn't like the guns themselves but I've built other guns/uppers which use the mags with no issues.
View Quote

Gonna need you to elaborate on that last part.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome Video above.

Pre-ban tactical carbine model with multi-position sliding stock, FH/muzzle brake, and fwd "Kelly" grip.
The charging handle is on the left side of the receiver/frame.

The best mags were the smoke semi-translucent. 23 turns for the 100 rdr. (over torquing would break the spring).
147 gr. bullets were reliable, as well as +P due to the HK MP5 style DRB action.

They made a Weaver style rail for above the barrel/handguard and a Weaver optic rail above the mag.
C-More railway was the lowest profile RDS to use to prevent that crazy optic height over bore issue.
The ban era solid fixed stock is shown in this pic, as is the plain muzzle.
You can also see the bolt stop/BHO just above the right side of the trigger. The safety lever is forward of the trigger.

They made an ambidextrous nylon Uzi style shoulder harness for the M-950 pistol, which allowed for strong side carry of the pistol loaded with a 50 rd. mag. and an adjustable pouch for a spare 50 or 100 round helical magazine on the support side.
Male end snap buttons screwed in on the back optic mount holes, and the holster used female end snaps.
This pic shows the crank style magazine loading device.

They made a cordura nylon gravity fed brass catcher that slipped over the bottom ejection port that held up to 100 empty casings.

For the early 1.0 models and ban-era models, an OEM UZI flash hider works great on their muzzle.
The set screws will fit into the notch where Calico used a roll pin for securing their muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

@ Slimjim
I saw a ROF regulator grip assembly at a gunshow in the late 80s, but didn't purchase it. I can only imagine what it would be worth today.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Have had one in 9mm since the 90s, came with a 50 and 100 round mag but the 100 was missing one of the ribs that hold the two halves together so I've only ever shot it with the 50. Can't ever recall a malfunction, recoil is super light and accuracy is very good. Gets out about once a year for fun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Have had one in 9mm since the 90s, came with a 50 and 100 round mag but the 100 was missing one of the ribs that hold the two halves together so I've only ever shot it with the 50. Can't ever recall a malfunction, recoil is super light and accuracy is very good. Gets out about once a year for fun.
View Quote

@seamasterpro
https://calicofirearms.com/product/9mm-100rd-magazine-maintenance-kits-9-mr-100/
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
They need to update for 2022. Move the magazine underneath ala the Bizon. Fix the reliability issues and
it would be a good seller.

Maybe even a 5.7mm version would be cool.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  They need to update for 2022. Move the magazine underneath ala the Bizon. Fix the reliability issues and
it would be a good seller.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/47/a6/0847a67be0fbdc823fbb828e7990d291.jpg

Maybe even a 5.7mm version would be cool.
View Quote

Please no.  We have enough incompatible 5.7x28mm magazines as it is.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Please no.  We have enough incompatible 5.7x28mm magazines as it is.
View Quote

True,  but it would compete with the p90’s 50 round magazines.  45acp is also under represented, but it would weigh a ton!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top