Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 10:31:35 PM EDT
http://shop.wiebketrading.com/rifles/semi-automatic-rifles/windham-weaponry-r16sfst-308-308-win-165-barrel-20-round

Chrome bore and chamber and all the reviews I have seen look really good. Should I grab this instead and spend the other 1500 on optic and ammo or go with the SCAR?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for a used LMT MWS...great AR10 platform...has beat the SCAR17 and HK417 with the Brits and NZ.

Sometimes you can get lucky getting them on the used market for a good price...but they have been scarce as of late.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Compared to a Windham?  Get the SCAR.  (...and I am, by no means, a fan of the SCAR )
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The scar is so light you'll be doing backflips.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you meant to say KAC SR-25 instead of SCAR-17, more comparable comparison.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you meant to say KAC SR-25 instead of SCAR-17, more comparable comparison.
View Quote
Amen.  KAC all day...every day!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The SCAR17 is the best 308 rifle presently being made IMO, but there are very good alternatives. KAC was mentioned. Windham is not a good alternative.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I will stick with my original plan
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess I will stick with my original plan
View Quote
Good choice.  Never change horses mid-stream.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
You’re going to wish you went all out instead of taking a half-measure. Save up and get what you want. The 17 is arguable the best battle rifle on the planet.

Then after getting your 17, be like me, and begin saving up for an SR-25 to go with it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Wyndham doesn't make bad rifles, but I wouldn't put them on the same quality level as a SCAR or SR-25.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep saving for the 17.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keep saving for the scar mags.
View Quote
Fixed for you
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
A windhohum over a SCAR 17, you're kidding, right

The SCAR 17 has an almost toy like appearance and is fairly large, that all goes away when the first shot is fired. For its size the rifle very light, I carried mine to an open carry rally and was not fatigued after two hours of walking and standing.

Even with the mediocre factory trigger and an ACOG I could hold 1 moa at a 100 yards. The SCAR 17 is absolute pleasure to shoot.

IMHO, the SCAR 17 is an OUTSTANDING rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
If you plan on any type of precision/accuracy orientated shooting you might as well write the SCAR off. As far as Knights all I know is I just went through a a course for work and a bunch of the former group/batt guys were saying they had a lot of reliability issues with them.  Some were active duty as recent as beginning of this year so I don't think earlier reports/issues have been fully rectified. Admittedly I don't have first hand experience but that is what I heard from dudes who's input I trust.

Our work rifles are OBR's and they're pretty damn accurate.  Averages around .8/.9" with Fed GMM; I get 1/2" or better occasionally but the no bullshit average is just under 1 moa.  The only thing is for whatever reason the oval shape of the ejector tends to gum up with high volume of fire/round count and sometimes won't eject. As long as your run it wet the issue is mitigated.

But yeah to your question: SCAR over Windham (if serious as I think its troll question lol) unless you want accuracy, then buy OBR (or Knights).
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you plan on any type of precision/accuracy orientated shooting you might as well write the SCAR off. As far as Knights all I know is I just went through a a course for work and a bunch of the former group/batt guys were saying they had a lot of reliability issues with them.  Some were active duty as recent as beginning of this year so I don't think earlier reports/issues have been fully rectified. Admittedly I don't have first hand experience but that is what I heard from dudes who's input I trust.

Our work rifles are OBR's and they're pretty damn accurate.  Averages around .8/.9" with Fed GMM; I get 1/2" or better occasionally but the no bullshit average is just under 1 moa.  The only thing is for whatever reason the oval shape of the ejector tends to gum up with high volume of fire/round count and sometimes won't eject. As long as your run it wet the issue is mitigated.

But yeah to your question: SCAR over Windham (if serious as I think its troll question lol) unless you want accuracy, then buy OBR (or Knights).
View Quote
Meh...replace the trigger on the SCAR and shoot match ammo. It's a sub MOA producer. We .mil guys are stuck with lawyer triggers and the factory SCAR trigger IS one of the worst. Shouldn't have to do that on a $3k rifle...but it is, what it is...
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t think this is giving the SCAR enough credit. I don’t doubt that the OBR or KAC PR shoot tighter, probably the other KAC variants too even. But the SCAR is a pretty straight shooting rifle. I’ve never propery benched mine with a precision scope and match ammo, but even with premium hunting ammo and a TA-11 mine does <2 MOA. Others that have shot it with better scope/ammo can no doubt do a good bit better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#18]
KAC, LMT, or SCAR

Windham is nowhere near the class of these. Like getting a Buick when you want and have the the money for a Cadillac.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Scar...
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#20]
The Scar 17 is an awesome rifle. Would love to own one someday. I love shooting it. I'd stick with the original plan.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#22]
That's not even a fair comparison. First off, that isn't even a mid grade .308 ar... and as much as I detest the SCAR, even I will admit that as long as you've got a budget for replacement optics (or not, chances are itll be a safe queen anyway), the SCAR H, is a solid platform for a modern heavy hitter.

A more apt comparison would maybe be a LMT MWS or KAC SR25 ECC. Even then, not a fair comparison. One isn't really better than the other, just different roles. To me,  and I recognize this is personal, the sr25/mws is softer recoiling and more accurate than my SCAR H was. There is a lot of factors in that though and I did not own both at the same time. For what it's worth though I still own an SR25. I'll buy another SCAR one day, but it's very low on the list right now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Everyone compares the SCAR to rifles that are essentially purpose-built as sniper rifles. Of course the KAC is more accurate. The SCAR, in reality, is a rifle in the FAL/G3/M14 class that also happens to be almost sniper rifle-accurate. It's built to be light and reliable first. Its accuracy is just a bonus.

That said, I'm not sure that the SCAR is worth what they're going for these days. Feel the same about the KAC, though, too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#24]
SCAR gets my vote... Light recoil, light rifle, accurate out of the box, and just all around fun rifle it is one of the few rifles that always gives me a freedom boner.
Only downside of it is FNH using a 1:12 twist barrel it does not shoot as well with 175gr bullets as it does with 168gr.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#25]
What do you all think if the ddm5 rifles?  I may look more in to a mws  as well. I actually like the idea of a rifle that has similar manipulation to my ARs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go for a used LMT MWS...great AR10 platform...has beat the SCAR17 and HK417 with the Brits and NZ.

Sometimes you can get lucky getting them on the used market for a good price...but they have been scarce as of late.
View Quote
A good friend of mine, who used to be a USMC SS, stated that one of his weapon systems while deployed was the M110.  He said they were only seeing MOA+ accuracy out of them.  He said they had to take the cans off of them to get that MOA accuracy.  With the cans on, he said accuracy went TU.

After he got out of the Corps, he did some contracting work. In that position, he was issued an LMT MWS as his primary rifle.  Although the LMT came with a Milazzo-Krieger trigger, he said it was far more accurate than the Stoner rifles he had seen and used.

When you state the LMT MWS "beat the SCAR17 and HK417," what did you mean?  Was it more accurate, did it function better, etc...?  I'm just interested. I own a SCAR 17, and really like the platform, but I also don't believe it is a precision rifle, either.

ETA - I forgot to mention, if you're considering a precision gas gun, you may want to look toward a JP LRP-07.  I own one of those too, and it is the standard by which I judge "precision" gas guns by, and thus why I believe the SCAR is not a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I am not looking for a precision rig. Holding nice groups would be nice. I am happy with a 1 -2 MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Another one I have been looking at is the pig revolution. I like that is has many similar parts as pof 556 guns. However, the thin chamber had me wondering if it can handle the pressure long term.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve never understood the seething Windham hate on this site.  They build good rifles with good QC.  They have outstanding warranty and customer service.

That said, get the SCAR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a SCAR 17 and sold it, and didn't replace it because all the 308's just aren't worth the squeeze to me.

I did keep my old Armalite Ar10A4 to shoot up all my 308.

If I went with another 308, it would be AR pattern, most likely a LaRue or DD.

Again, I don't miss my Scar 16 or 17 at all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I sold both my AR10 guns for a Scar 17.  I don't miss them
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Since you have owned both... can you post some insight as to the most distinct differences, I am curious.

Recoil impulse ? Reliability ? Precision ? balance ? ergonomics ?... stuff like that.

Again, just curious , since I consider the SCAR 17 a little out of my personal price range for a single firearm... So I'd kinda like to know what I am missing. If that makes sense.
View Quote
For me it was an itch I needed to scratch.  I just got a Scar 16, wanted the 17 but didn't want to drop the coin.  So I started building a couple AR10 guns.  A 16" and 12.5" pistol.  Both were reliable and accuracy was fine, though I never used any fancy ammo.  Both had an adjustable gas block and heavy buffer.  For me the 12.5" was just too damn loud, even with a can.  But it was fun.  The 12.5" seemed to have lot more recoil compared to the full size.  Probably carbine vs. middy gas system.  But in the end, it just wasn't a scar 17.  So I sold them both, an Acog and got myself 2/3 of the way there.

The Scar seems lighter and recoil impulse feels smoother.  Especially when set to suppressed.  The barrel is currently inroute to PMM to get chopped and welded to 16".
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#36]
SR25 or LMT
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The scar is so light you'll be doing backflips.
View Quote
That, and MOA on Lace City Ball makes it a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the SCAR
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I have not been overly impressed with the accuracy on my SCAR.  I have no doubt a good AR-10 will shoot better than it.  Who makes a good AR-10, plenty of folks.  See lots of good feedback regarding accuracy on the Savage rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top