Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2018 10:53:34 PM EDT
I am working on a little horse trading on armslist and a guy just emailed me with a trade offer of an Egyptian Hakim for my 642-1 snubnose.

I know of them, but have never handled one.  I know they smash thumbs.

Assuming this is an above board deal, are there anymore deals on 8mm these days?  I know I've missed the boat on surplus.

Financially, seems like a trade in my favor.  A Hakim could be some fun for a bit.

I just inherited a Turkish Mauser, so my curiosity is slightly peaked.

Pics forthcoming
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
8mm Mauser chambering of the Swede AG42 Ljungman rifle; gas system stolen by Stoner for the AR10/AR15

If it is half as well made as the AG42's I've handled, DO IT...

Read the AG42 manual, your thumbs will thank you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
While not of my own experience, the gas tube can rot out pretty nicely if not maintained...  but they are really cool, and on my list of "I will get someday"
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and it's a hoot at the range. Heavy weight plus the brake makes recoil almost non-existent. You won't make any friends off to your side though. Concussion is massive and it throws cases 40'  even on the lowest gas setting.

Stick with steel or bredan cases as it's not worth reloading for. It destroys brass.

Ammo is pretty much limited to commercial stuff sitting around 40 CPR from new mfg non corrosive stuff.

For trade value, I picked mine up on GunBroker last fall for $400. Needed cleaning and new gas valve spring but other than that it is in great condition.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
They look fucking hilarious to shoot, and the prices are creeping up steadily. Like many firearms, now is the time to get one if you want one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Is Hakim Arabic for each yo fingers? Buddy had one years ago that was terrifying like a table saw.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Hakim Arabic for each yo fingers? Buddy had one years ago that was terrifying like a table saw.
View Quote
Yes. Very bitey. Safety on when loading.

Great rifles, though.

OP will need to find a Rasheed now, though, too... they're a little rarer...
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The Hakim’s mechanics are so brutal that by comparison the Garand thumb is a gentle kiss on the cheek.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8mm Mauser chambering of the Swede AG42 Ljungman rifle; gas system stolen by Stoner for the AR10/AR15
View Quote
And both "stole" from earlier French designs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top