Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2019 5:25:48 PM EDT
Today I went to my LGS with the intent of getting an 1895 18.5" Cowboy that I knew they had in stock.  Looked it over and decided to pass, at least for now.

I noticed several spots of rust on the surface of the barrel.  There was a lot of residue at the muzzle crown and some surface rust there.  Bore very dirty.  Some crud on the bottom of the barrel between the barrel and the mag tube.  Quite honestly it had the look of a moderately used gun even though I was assured it was new.

Is Marlin sending out crap like this?  I'm wondering if this was a returned gun that found it's way into the retail chain again.

The shop owner wasn't in today but I'll talk to him tomorrow.  If I can get it for a decent price I may go for it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, Marlin/Remington send us crappy looking “new” items all the time. The finish on most of their new guns are horrible and easily acquire surface rust.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
More than likely an older model, take a pic of serial #, Goggle up the date, or ask the owner to look it up. The last 2 years the Marlins are much better.

The stores that are getting crappy ones are getting old 'new' ones.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last 2 years the Marlins are much better.
View Quote
Maybe you are getting all the nice ones in your area but all the new ones I have seen for the past 2-4 years have been complete garbage.  I only shop for older, real Marlins, the craftsmanship is very noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a 45LC and 45/70 in the cowboy line and both were manufactured in 2001 if my memory serves me right.  Both are JM marked and have not had any problems,  Hope they are from the good years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I briefly had a Limited III which is pretty much the same gun as the cowboy and it was the only gun I've ever owned that was unpleasant to shoot. Between the light weight and plastic butt plate the recoil was punishing to the point it wasn't even fun to shoot. I've owned a guide gun in both .45-70 and .450 Marlin and neither punished me like the Limited.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up unfired 1895 LTD I from 1997....
ordered Williams 5D peep for it and 100 rounds leverevolution... will see it it shoots as good as it looks!

Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ordered Williams 5D peep for it and 100 rounds leverevolution... will see it it shoots as good as it looks!

https://i.imgur.com/pLBXpG3.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful rifle!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
So is the gun OP is talking even a current model?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I went back to the LGS today.  They still had that Marlin.  I took a good look at it.  Other than some minor cosmetic flaws it seemed pretty solid.  They were talking about sending it back to Marlin.  I offered to take it off their hands if they knocked the price down.  Owner did so I bought it.  I would just take it out in the desert and put some dings in it anyway.  Now I need to figure out what loading dies I want.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went back to the LGS today.  They still had that Marlin.  I took a good look at it.  Other than some minor cosmetic flaws it seemed pretty solid.  They were talking about sending it back to Marlin.  I offered to take it off their hands if they knocked the price down.  Owner did so I bought it.  I would just take it out in the desert and put some dings in it anyway.  Now I need to figure out what loading dies I want.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45352/20190424_125726__Medium__jpg-923444.JPG
View Quote
Redding
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to get a new Marlin 45-70 but I know my shoulder can't take it anymore, can't hardly take full power 30-30 170gr loads more than a few shots.

The new Marlins are good rifles. I like the 336 type rifle better, don't know if 47-70 comes in that style or just straight stock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/pLBXpG3.jpg
View Quote
Lucky!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd like to get a new Marlin 45-70 but I know my shoulder can't take it anymore, can't hardly take full power 30-30 170gr loads more than a few shots.

The new Marlins are good rifles. I like the 336 type rifle better, don't know if 47-70 comes in that style or just straight stock.
View Quote
This is going to be a plinker/desert toy and will be shooting mostly gallery loads.  12 grs of Unique behind a 350gr or 405gr cast bullet is lots of fun and can be shot all day without much discomfort.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m 10 weeks into total reverse replacement on my left shoulder. I’m right handed but the right one was the ‘bad’ one before the left got worse.

The concept of recoil just doesn’t sound fun, but dang I’d like to try one too.

I need to get my old 336 30/30 out & try it again, after a couple more months.

You young guys need to do what you want to do while you can. Someday you’ll get old, smoothmouthed & piss on your shoes too...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got the Berry's Bullets 150 grain plated today and will be doing reduced loads with H4895. I've done it with .308, maybe you can try this for your 30-30?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So is the gun OP is talking even a current model?
View Quote
If it's an 18 inch Cowboy, thats current production.  The LTD III mentioned earlier is the only other 18 inch Octagon 45-70 that Marlin has made.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm 10 weeks into total reverse replacement on my left shoulder. I'm right handed but the right one was the 'bad' one before the left got worse.

The concept of recoil just doesn't sound fun, but dang I'd like to try one too.

You young guys need to do what you want to do while you can. Someday you'll get old, smoothmouthed & piss on your shoes too...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 10 weeks into total reverse replacement on my left shoulder. I'm right handed but the right one was the 'bad' one before the left got worse.

The concept of recoil just doesn't sound fun, but dang I'd like to try one too.

You young guys need to do what you want to do while you can. Someday you'll get old, smoothmouthed & piss on your shoes too...
One of the best riflemen I know (Presidents 100) switched to shooting lefty about four years ago.  He is left eye dominant and absolutely crushes an NRA Match.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One of the best riflemen I know (Presidents 100) switched to shooting lefty about four years ago.  He is left eye dominant and absolutely crushes an NRA Match.
View Quote
Oddly I’m left eye dominant too, but holding recoil on the replaced left shoulder is forever off limits. I’ll never even be able to put my billfold in my left rear pocket again...

Fellows, seriously take care of yourselves & enjoy what you have while you have it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got the Berry's Bullets 150 grain plated today and will be doing reduced loads with H4895. I've done it with .308, maybe you can try this for your 30-30?
View Quote
I load Speers 130gr Hot Cor, saves my shoulder and works great on whitetails, got a decent BC too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oddly I’m left eye dominant too, but holding recoil on the replaced left shoulder is forever off limits. I’ll never even be able to put my billfold in my left rear pocket again...

Fellows, seriously take care of yourselves & enjoy what you have while you have it!
View Quote
You to huh? My shoulder after is about as good as it was before surgery, it never gets any better it seems, a few rounds with anything bigger that 223 -17rem

And it's toast for days, can't bend it, can't reach with it, has no power like as in lift anything, DR says give it time. I had it done a year ago , Whut/
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You to huh? My shoulder after is about as good as it was before surgery, it never gets any better it seems, a few rounds with anything bigger that 223 -17rem

And it's toast for days, can't bend it, can't reach with it, has no power like as in lift anything, DR says give it time. I had it done a year ago , Whut/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could not move mine in any direction for three months before surgery, so I’m about 1000 times better off than I was. The constant pain is gone. Nary a bit since surgery. Stiffness & soreness, sure, but no real pain. I just don’t want to fuck it up again!

I have no rotator cuff left, so there’s never going to be any strength left, in certain directions. I understand that. As long as the pain is gone & the range of motion is improved, I’m happy

Yours right or left? Total reverse?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
It sounds like some physical therapy is needed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I load Speers 130gr Hot Cor, saves my shoulder and works great on whitetails, got a decent BC too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice! Yeah, these are just plinking, fun stuff on paper
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe you are getting all the nice ones in your area but all the new ones I have seen for the past 2-4 years have been complete garbage.  I only shop for older, real Marlins, the craftsmanship is very noticeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last 2 years the Marlins are much better.
I bought a new one 2 years ago and it has none of the issues the OP mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I could not move mine in any direction for three months before surgery, so I’m about 1000 times better off than I was. The constant pain is gone. Nary a bit since surgery. Stiffness & soreness, sure, but no real pain. I just don’t want to fuck it up again!

I have no rotator cuff left, so there’s never going to be any strength left, in certain directions. I understand that. As long as the pain is gone & the range of motion is improved, I’m happy

Yours right or left? Total reverse?
View Quote
Right, and it's Ok as long as I stay away from my 308's and shoot left handed, which I am getting pretty good at, LOL If I do shoot a few 308's right handed

My shoulder is done for days, 30-30 not so bad. I have to learn to shoot and do other things with my left arm, just hard to remember all the time.

If I behave, it gets pretty good, but about the time I'm thinking it's going to get better, well it's not going too, Pulling, lifting, wrenching, all of this stuff fucks it up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean like I did all last summer? 3 times a week. Remember it is better until I fuck it up, I want to be able to shoot again from that shoulder. It's not going to happen. Living in the rhubarb makes that a pain in the ass bad enough & the fact I hate it, xcept the little blonde that was my trainer.

Left shoulder like I said, works pretty good,  shooting shotguns, 308's, so am done for my right side but I am getting pretty good switching to the left.

I can lift my right arm above my head which I couldn't do before surgery, but I have to do my part. It's hard to relearn. Bolt action rifles and pump action shotguns,

From left side I can work good, semi auto's suck from left side unless I have a craving for hot gas & unburned powder shot in my face. AR's in 223 is OK right handed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nice! Yeah, these are just plinking, fun stuff on paper
View Quote
Not for me, the 130gr load is my deer load.They shoot into a 1 1/2 on paper with 35grs cfe223 they are not my plinkers but full power loads for my 30-30. Took a whitetail at 270yds last fall with one!
For plinkers I use Speers 110gr hp with 31grs of AA2015, I can shoot a few of both of these loads right handed. The 110gr load is just plain stupid out of My marlin,
on how good these little buggers shoot.

Never thought I could get groups out of a lever action like these 2 loads. I have 2 30-30's the other one is a Winchester Model 94 Trapper, but it don't shoot like the Marlin. It's nice to handle, it's shorter and nicer to carry, no scope on it, never will be. It likes 150gr bullets better, but my right shoulder don't!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
By definition, a total reverse replacement is a whole different animal than a ‘normal’ joint replacement. Where we once had the socket on the shoulder & the ball of the joint on the upper arm, this is now reversed with the socket on the arm & the ball on the shoulder. It’s done where there is too much damage to the rotator cuff to repair it. The rotator cuff holds the joint together in a normal shoulder, as well as giving muscle strength in certain directions & motions.

With the rotator cuff gone, other muscles hold the reversed joint together for ‘normal’ joint movements. However there are weak angles that will just be  permanent & have to be dealt with. For instance we can no longer safely reach behind us with the effected arm without some danger of the dislocating the new joint - little holding it together at that angle. So, heavy recoil in the wrong spot can be a HUGE no-no!

Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I took my new 1895CB out in the desert yesterday and put a few rounds through it.  I forgot how much NOT-fun it was to put factory 45/70 through a light weight rifle with hard butt plate.  10 rounds was enough.  It was fun but I'll be glad when my loading components arrive so I can put together my plinking rounds.

I'll need to drift the sights a little.  Group was ok but it shot about 5" to the left at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I took my new 1895CB out in the desert yesterday and put a few rounds through it.  I forgot how much NOT-fun it was to put factory 45/70 through a light weight rifle with hard butt plate.  10 rounds was enough.  It was fun but I'll be glad when my loading components arrive so I can put together my plinking rounds.

I'll need to drift the sights a little.  Group was ok but it shot about 5" to the left at 50 yards.
View Quote
The 45-70 is a pussycat with factory loads.  Try some loads from Garrett, Buffalo Bore or some heavy handloads next time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The 45-70 is a pussycat with factory loads.  Try some loads from Garrett, Buffalo Bore or some heavy handloads next time.
View Quote
Lol!  No!  I'm an old guy now with shoulders that have gone through surgery and PT.  Not gonna do that on purpose.

Been there though.  Many years ago I went through a LEO Shotgun Instructor Course.  Put a lot of 12 ga slugs and double-ought buckshot through a riot gun over a week period.   Also played with stout 45-70 loads in a Marlin GG I had.  Fun, but not something I want to do any more.  Especially with a gun that is just a plinker and jack rabbit killer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol!  No!  I'm an old guy now with shoulders that have gone through surgery and PT.  Not gonna do that on purpose.

Been there though.  Many years ago I went through a LEO Shotgun Instructor Course.  Put a lot of 12 ga slugs and double-ought buckshot through a riot gun over a week period.   Also played with stout 45-70 loads in a Marlin GG I had.  Fun, but not something I want to do any more.  Especially with a gun that is just a plinker and jack rabbit killer.
View Quote
I know what you mean.  I’m feeling the years every morning when I get up.  My problems are in my back and neck.  I’ve already sold my 338 and should probably sell my 45-70s too. I haven’t hunted with anything except handguns since 2009.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I know what you mean.  I’m feeling the years every morning when I get up.  My problems are in my back and neck.  I’ve already sold my 338 and should probably sell my 45-70s too. I haven’t hunted with anything except handguns since 2009.
View Quote
Getting old sucks!

I wonder what .45/70 would be like in a heavy, long barreled Sharps?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Getting old sucks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting old sucks!

I always say “gettin Old ain’t for sissies”. ;)

I had a medium weight C. Sharps Arms in 45-70.  I only shot blackpowder equivalent loads in it, recoil wasn’t bad at all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I always say “gettin Old ain’t for sissies”. ;)

I had a medium weight C. Sharps Arms in 45-70.  I only shot blackpowder equivalent loads in it, recoil wasn’t bad at all.
View Quote
Brother in law has a couple of Sharps replicas. He’s had his rotator cuff done on his right side. We’ve talked about trying to shoot them someday, but I think we might want to start with lighter calibers first. We both have .30/30 carbines & .38/55 rifles we can try too...
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You young guys need to do what you want to do while you can. Someday you’ll get old, smoothmouthed & piss on your shoes too...
View Quote
You can piss on your shoes?  Lucky bastard..,
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Shoot them off the bench on a sled then if you have shoulder issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Brother in law has a couple of Sharps replicas. He’s had his rotator cuff done on his right side. We’ve talked about trying to shoot them someday, but I think we might want to start with lighter calibers first. We both have .30/30 carbines & .38/55 rifles we can try too...
View Quote
The Sharps is much more pleasant to shoot than a 30-30 levergun. If nothing else, shoot them from a sled.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can piss on your shoes?  Lucky bastard..,
View Quote
Big feet & lean forward. Hard to miss..
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Sharps is much more pleasant to shoot than a 30-30 levergun. If nothing else, shoot them from a sled.
View Quote
Sled is what I’ve been using to sight in slug gun for deer (Illinois thing). Kinda takes a little fun out of it, but it’s better than not shooting or pain.

Wife’s brother & I basically grew up together. We used to shoot quite a lot our whole lives & never gave recoil a thought..
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shoot them off the bench on a sled then if you have shoulder issues.
View Quote
I got a sled and it sits in the hunting cabin, nobody ever uses it including me, I hate it, nothing about it that stands out besides it's big, heavy, clumsy a PIA to use.

Nothing about it resembles actual use in the field, or shooting from the bench. What's the point, it's like shooting a handgun in a ransom rest, big woop.

That's why I shoot left handed from the bench, it's an art.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jackrabbits with .45-70?

Nothing like killing them and saying "screw you" at the same time. I shot a squirrel with my .45-70 Contender once. I'd imagine jackrabbits would be a similar result. For the sake of yoyr wallet I hope you use cast reloads for it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
The beauty of the 45-70 is that you don't NEED the heavy loads to make it effective. The black powder equivalent loads are pussycats to shoot, but they had enough power for buffalo in the 1800s and they have enough power today.  I've shot whitetails and feral hogs with the 45-70, unfortunately nothing larger.  I've also shot coyotes and a bobcat with it.  The 45-70 is much more "fur friendly" than modern high velocity rounds.

The 30-30 guns almost all have no recoil pad.  The 1895 below had a Pachamyr pad installed by a previous owner.  I find a 30-30 with no pad much more painful to shoot than standard loads in this 1895.  My problems are in my neck and back, a 10 year old fusion in my neck scares me every time I shoot a shotgun or anything with much recoil.

If you want a pistol grip stock, look for an 1895 Sporter.  Mine is a very early gun from the mid 1970s, but newer ones had a PG stock.

I killed the red hog with a Remington factory load, 405 JSP moving very slowly.  Bang-Flop, the hog barely even kicked.  I chose the 45-70 because my grandson was along, and the 45-70 is the quietest of my rifles, at least with that load.

Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The beauty of the 45-70 is that you don't NEED the heavy loads to make it effective. The black powder equivalent loads are pussycats to shoot, but they had enough power for buffalo in the 1800s and they have enough power today.  I've shot whitetails and feral hogs with the 45-70, unfortunately nothing larger.  I've also shot coyotes and a bobcat with it.  The 45-70 is much more "fur friendly" than modern high velocity rounds.

https://i.imgur.com/zPvV2.jpg
View Quote
Exactly. I use mine on deer, 405 grain cast with a trapdoor-safe charge of 4064. Works great, and very cheap to shoot(with a cheap source of lead, it's cheaper than CCI .22 Magnum)
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yes, Marlin/Remington send us crappy looking “new” items all the time. The finish on most of their new guns are horrible and easily acquire surface rust.
View Quote
Every marlin I’ve bought that was made 2018 or later has been just as good as the older ones that I’ve owned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top