BCM
User Panel

Page / 153
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
Knife behind holster?
The only thing a fixed blade is REALLY good for is weapons retention.  

Nearly EVERYTHING else can be done by good folding knife or multi-tool.

View Quote

The folder's only advantage is that it's smaller when not in use.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Blacktide:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Knife behind holster?

Well, that, and you don't look retarded trying to do mundane knife tasks.

If I had a dollar for every person I've seen try to do shit with a med to large fixed blade awkwardly, that could be done by a swiss army knife deftly, I'd have money for a nice knife.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 5:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#3]

If I had a dollar for every person I've seen try to do shit with a med to large fixed blade awkwardly, that could be done by a swiss army knife deftly, I'd have money for a nice knife.

View All Quotes
Knife behind holster?

It sounds like you just hang around a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
"Well, that, and you don't look retarded trying to do mundane knife tasks.

If I had a dollar for every person I've seen try to do shit with a med to large fixed blade awkwardly, that could be done by a swiss army knife deftly, I'd have money for a nice knife. "

Not all fixed blades are huge.

(I do have an LMF II on my belt).
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:

snip

Infantry Marines in Iraq in 2003.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]

"Well, that, and you don't look retarded trying to do mundane knife tasks.

If I had a dollar for every person I've seen try to do shit with a med to large fixed blade awkwardly, that could be done by a swiss army knife deftly, I'd have money for a nice knife. "

Not all fixed blades are huge.

(I do have an LMF II on my belt).
View Quote
Oh I know, and the LMF II is a bad ass knife.
Which is why it deserves a bad ass place, weakside where you can get it into action for weapons/ gear/ radio/ cigarette retention so when people get froggy, you can get all stabby in the face with them without losing the ability to draw and fire, or not have a firing hand on a long gun.

Having my Ka-Bar rigged like that was SUPER handy for making space.
Still opened my MRE's with a folder...

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not have a fixed blade? I don't get it.
View Quote

I think your question should be asked the other way around: Why have a fixed blade?

Most people will never have a use for a fixed blade that can't be accomplished by a folder with the same ease and utility. Most fixed blades need a dedicated sheath; my folders clip to my pocket, making them easier to carry wherever I go (with or without belt), and it's in a more convenient and easier-to-reach location.

If you want a fixed blade knife, go for it. Just be realistic about its employment.

I have a half a dozen fixed blade knives, but the only ones that are on a belt are the historical models.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By lew:
I think your question should be asked the other way around: Why have a fixed blade?

Most people will never have a use for a fixed blade that can't be accomplished by a folder with the same ease and utility. Most fixed blades need a dedicated sheath; my folders clip to my pocket, making them easier to carry wherever I go (with or without belt), and it's in a more convenient and easier-to-reach location.

If you want a fixed blade knife, go for it. Just be realistic about its employment.

I have a half a dozen fixed blade knives, but the only ones that are on a belt are the historical models.
View All Quotes

In support of your point, and to answer your question, "Why", to stab people about the head and body.

For literally everything else, there are better tools.  

General knife use?  Folder/ small fixed blade.

Prying?  Flat bar or pry bar (If you're planning on having to pry stuff, WTF would you plan on just using a knife?)

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]

In support of your point, and to answer your question, "Why", to stab people about the head and body.

For literally everything else, there are better tools.  

General knife use?  Folder/ small fixed blade.

Prying?  Flat bar or pry bar (If you're planning on having to pry stuff, WTF would you plan on just using a knife?)

View Quote

I think you nailed it.

It depends on the fixed blade. I try to leave the machete at home.

Even a small sized fixed could theoretically be used to fight with.

I carry something similar to this:

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a small Gerber fixed blade that has replaced my KaBar Mk1 as my pack/all around knife. Folders are handy, but not as strong - I wouldn't rely on one. Having a folder in addition to a small fixed blade seems rational to me however. Two is one and all that. I got that Gerber on sale, gave one away as a Christmas gift and now wish I'd bought more. Great little knife, and yes, I could fight with it if necessary. I'd rather not use the same knife I eat with to stab someone however...but that's me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Screw it I got all 3.Folder for EDC. Medium fixed blade for chopping down small trees for fort construction. And on the warbelt right behind the holster. A Leatherman super tool 300 in it's own dedicated pouch. After much thought on what I actually use the most. It came down to Folder than Multitool. And last was a fixed blade knife.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
.All comes down to mission IMHO.  As it was put to my platoon, if you're going to have a fighting knife, have a fighting knife. If it's a utility knife, while it can be pressed into fighting, use it for utility.

The funny thing is, the next day one of the guys showed up with a Rambo 2 replica knife on his gear...  Much hilarity and butthurt ensued.

But anyways, if you're putting a warbelt together for survival, and the main point of having a larger fixed blade is for things like chopping wood and such, why not use a better tool like a quality tomohawk or hatchet?  Both that would offer more utility, and could be pressed into a fighting nature.

Morg308 above me agrees that fixed blades are handy, but not as strong.   I also agree with that.  But if you're using as a KNIFE, it's not as big of a deal.  Sort of like if you use a shovel as a shovel, it will never break.  But when you use it as a pick or mattox it will.
Right tool for the job and all that.
To be clear on my opinion, I'm all for big "fuck off" fighting knives, if they are intended to be used in the right role.  For everything else, there's master-card (or a better tool).
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have given some thought to this knife debate.  My opinion (for what its worth, ya i know not much) is if you first line is for for SHTF, a knife can make sense, there is a lot a knife can do other then just fighting.  A lot depends on your mission / set up / preferences, and a lot of good points have been made...but saying a knife on first line is not good practice is just not true.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember the Seal's that rescued the Ship Captain from Pirates a few years back.
When they boarded to boat one of the Seals killed one of the pirates with a knife.

Who would of thunk that a knife would be carried on a Hostage Rescue Mission and then,
used to take out a bad guy with it.

With all the latest and greatest high tech weapons available to the Seals, one was taken out with
a tool.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1fromtx:
Remember the Seal's that rescued the Ship Captain from Pirates a few years back.
When they boarded to boat one of the Seals killed one of the pirates with a knife.

Who would of thunk that a knife would be carried on a Hostage Rescue Mission and then,

With all the latest and greatest high tech weapons available to the Seals, one was taken out with
a tool.
View Quote

No one in here is a SEAL.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#17]

a tool.
View Quote
Think he had it mounted behind his pistol holster?

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

a tool.

No,

He carried it between his teeth.
He's a Seal damnit !
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

I was hoping to get a good multi-page, slug-fest argument going, but you took the wind out o' me sails.

Now, what's the best way to attach a katana to a chest rig?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaskForce] [#21]

I was hoping to get a good multi-page, slug-fest argument going, but you took the wind out o' me sails.

View All Quotes

Sorry to disappoint, I know that feel bro.

I suppose I could call you a dick and say that folders are for pansies?  Nahh, the moments passed.

ETA: Pic thread: Probably already posted this somewhere, oh well:

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 9:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarHead94] [#22]

I suppose I could call you a dick and say that folders are for pansies?  Nahh, the moments passed.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/enderwood/IMG_20130825_134955_290_zps77b194d3.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/enderwood/IMG_20130825_134955_290_zps77b194d3.jpg

I have been very vocal about my disdain for a big fixed blade knife on a warbelt, but that's the most sensible looking placement as I've seen if you just gotta have one. I wish I could have liked my LMFII, but I ended up selling it. Gonna get a TDI for my belt rig.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JarHead94:

I have been very vocal about my disdain for a big fixed blade knife on a warbelt, but that's the most sensible looking placement as I've seen if you just gotta have one. I wish I could have liked my LMFII, but I ended up selling it. Gonna get a TDI for my belt rig.
View Quote

The TDI looks like a fantastic knife, considered getting one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JarHead94:

I've had one for a long time, I keep it tucked under my admin pouch, SOB, where it takes up zero room, and can reach it with either hand easily.
Maybe not the best place for a retention blade, but I doub't I'll ever be needing it for that...
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

JB Weld
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#28]

BUT WHERE IS YOUR BOK AND KNIFE

I've been eyeballing something with the RCS Moduloader paddles too but haven't convinced myself to go with that over the outer belt setup I got now.  The Moduloaders / TACOs are cool as shit though.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks bcauz3y! I like it so far; it's very convenient, just clip it on and go.

Haha, sweatpants. Gotta throw me under the bus too eh?

Well, I use that RCS Moduloader paddle setup when I don't want to lug my war belt around. But there's a BOK on my war belt, in my range bag, in my EDC backpack, in my car, at home, and yeah

And I do have a few knives here and there. But CA sucks, so at most, I'll have a folder and/or multi-tool.

I should probably put my flame suit on, huh?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
I like it.

KISS

View All Quotes

Good choice on the belt too, I love my DSG belts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
" />

mine from the last carbine class I took, with some extras

OH...and I added a knife..because it's cool here

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Castrolr1:
http://<a href=http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp351/castrolr1/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps1d4d3f68.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

Sneaky camo, OD glock, OMG what is that day glow orange thing hiding behind that tree!
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]

http://<a href=http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp351/castrolr1/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps1d4d3f68.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

What knife is that?

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:09:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Castrolr1] [#34]

What knife is that?

View All Quotes

What knife is that?

ESSE 3
And I'll never lose it
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]

ESSE 3
And I'll never lose it
View All Quotes

What knife is that?

ESSE 3
And I'll never lose it

Great minds think alike. I bought one just like it for mowing and working outside. I figure it I drop it, I can find it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Knife behind holster?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing until I stumbled across this picture in another thread:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/4852/1204944-1259783593895.jpg

Does anyone know what belt/blade he is working?  
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Dlow:
I was wondering the same thing until I stumbled across this picture in another thread:

View All Quotes

Knife behind holster?

I did the same thing with a Schrade 49'er....  

What you would not see on me at least, was the Ka-bar on my other side that was for stabbing people.

But, if all it takes is a single picture to legitimize something for you, more power too ya.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

You could call me an asshole and that might make me feel better.

Does that Gerber poke ya in the ribs at all? Either way, it's a cool knife.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By sweatpants:

I'm retarded - can you post a pic?
View All Quotes

Protip: Use a cheap crappy rubber band to secure your rifle sling to your barrel or gas block while stowed in the vehicle. The first round fired will burn off the rubber band, or a light tug on the sling will break it.

The bayonete was too long for the pic

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#40]
]Protip: Use a cheap crappy rubber band to secure your rifle sling to your barrel or gas block while stowed in the vehicle. The first round fired will burn off the rubber band, or a light tug on the sling will break it.

View Quote

What kinda of crazy ammo are you using that would get the barrel hot enough to melt a rubber band in one round?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By RDTCU:
What kinda of crazy ammo are you using that would get the barrel hot enough to melt a rubber band in one round?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

]Protip: Use a cheap crappy rubber band to secure your rifle sling to your barrel or gas block while stowed in the vehicle. The first round fired will burn off the rubber band, or a light tug on the sling will break it.

First string of rounds.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#42]

What you would not see on me at least, was the Ka-bar on my other side that was for stabbing people.

But, if all it takes is a single picture to legitimize something for you, more power too ya.

View All Quotes
Knife behind holster?

Not so much any picture in general.
That guy has the look of a professional in his craft.
While I'm not in LE or the Military I can appreciate someone who has hands been there. Maybe I'm taking too much out of a photo. But I'm here to learn from those who do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Protip: Use a cheap crappy rubber band to secure your rifle sling to your barrel or gas block while stowed in the vehicle. The first round fired will burn off the rubber band, or a light tug on the sling will break it.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/23EDF841-D8EE-4870-A37E-F342A3C8B273-432-0000006DC2E4AD4C_zpsacd1dd8a.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/B4F238CD-378C-4993-B574-0AB2D29138CD-432-0000006DCA6A6FA8_zps47ec398e.jpg?t=1384301541

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/E4317699-B94B-4C49-83C8-9C07EF70BA6D-432-0000006DD2852D4A_zps90db62ac.jpg

The bayonete was too long for the pic

Really digging the porn sheets.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:

Really digging the porn sheets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Siccmade] [#45]
Anyone have a binocular case on there belt? what are you guys using? I am wanting somthing for my nikon 10x40 binoculars and a  range finder
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 10:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RevOcelot] [#46]
Took advantage of SKD's veterans day sale and picked up a few items.

HSGI suregrip
HSGI riggers belt
2 pistol tacos
mini eod pouch

Had an x2r taco leftover from my plate carrier that I put on there for either 2 pmags or for holding my Gerber multitool as well as my ESEE 4.  Have to order a G Code SOC holster for my g17 w/ tlr1hl

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Added an HSGI bleeder, still needs a holster and maybe a knife/multitool
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Shay_Ellafrits:
<a href="http://s892.photobucket.com/user/Shay_Ellafrits/media/B0060C81-6C2A-4A0D-8027-D27C1D8D9EBA-665-000000E6C89A2337_zps57a90782.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/Shay_Ellafrits/B0060C81-6C2A-4A0D-8027-D27C1D8D9EBA-665-000000E6C89A2337_zps57a90782.jpg</a>

View Quote

are you a new yorker that can't own a pistol?
What dump pouch? Looks pretty long
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 10:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#49]
HSGI Battle Belt
First Spear riggers belt on the interior
Emdom Drop Pouch
Pig Alpha Gloves
USGI Army IFAK
Looking for a holster and mag pouches for my Sig 938, no luck yet, probably will have to custom make them.

Expanded view of the USGI Army IFAK. I added the QuickClot and 5.5" mini medical shears

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Originally Posted By Shay_Ellafrits:
<a href="http://s892.photobucket.com/user/Shay_Ellafrits/media/B0060C81-6C2A-4A0D-8027-D27C1D8D9EBA-665-000000E6C89A2337_zps57a90782.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/Shay_Ellafrits/B0060C81-6C2A-4A0D-8027-D27C1D8D9EBA-665-000000E6C89A2337_zps57a90782.jpg</a>

I'm 19, and stationed in DC for work, can't own one yet.

Tactical Tailor role up dump pouch.

Moved a taco to my belt, like less stuff on my PC.
Page / 153
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top