Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 153
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:25:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lead-slinger] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:

You guy's are forgetting one tacticle advantage to using suspenders.There will come a time in the field where you will need to unsnap the warbelt and will not want to set it down. Suspenders allow you to hang it off your shoulders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PantacUSA:
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Suspenders defeat th purpose of a belt - removing weight and pressure from your shoulders. Your hips are massive and strong. Let them carry the weight.

Can't agree with that more - we actually went out of our way to remove the suspender rings on our belt to make sure users don't incorrectly try to transfer the weight to your shoulder.  You might be able to see it from the picture, but the prototype combat belt on my photo still have suspender rings, whereas our final production units DO NOT.  Your PC is heavy enough, your shoulder don't need more.  In fact, both Crye and TYR (and probably others) invented ways to transfer weight from your PC to the belt.  The backpack crowd figured that out decades ago (all the good expedition-class backpacks have massive hip belts), and it's not too late for us to do the same!

Edit:  From years of backpacking I found my comfort zone on a ~60-80lb pack is 80% weight on the hip, 20% on the shoulder.  Human hips are engineered to bear weight, as your leg bone goes straight down to the ground and provide good stability and support.  Whereas your shoulder bone cantilever from your back bone and NOT a good load-bearing point.  In fact, your head is a better load carrier than your shoulder... except the high center of gravity make it difficult to balance and hence impractical.  Sorry I will shut up now.  

W.

You guy's are forgetting one tacticle advantage to using suspenders.There will come a time in the field where you will need to unsnap the warbelt and will not want to set it down. Suspenders allow you to hang it off your shoulders.

How does that work under a plate carrier and that under a pack? it does sound like a good idea though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Lead-slinger:

How does that work under a plate carrier and that under a pack? it does sound like a good idea though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lead-slinger:
Suspenders defeat th purpose of a belt - removing weight and pressure from your shoulders. Your hips are massive and strong. Let them carry the weight.

Can't agree with that more - we actually went out of our way to remove the suspender rings on our belt to make sure users don't incorrectly try to transfer the weight to your shoulder.  You might be able to see it from the picture, but the prototype combat belt on my photo still have suspender rings, whereas our final production units DO NOT.  Your PC is heavy enough, your shoulder don't need more.  In fact, both Crye and TYR (and probably others) invented ways to transfer weight from your PC to the belt.  The backpack crowd figured that out decades ago (all the good expedition-class backpacks have massive hip belts), and it's not too late for us to do the same!

Edit:  From years of backpacking I found my comfort zone on a ~60-80lb pack is 80% weight on the hip, 20% on the shoulder.  Human hips are engineered to bear weight, as your leg bone goes straight down to the ground and provide good stability and support.  Whereas your shoulder bone cantilever from your back bone and NOT a good load-bearing point.  In fact, your head is a better load carrier than your shoulder... except the high center of gravity make it difficult to balance and hence impractical.  Sorry I will shut up now.  

W.

I use thin suspenders. I don't have a plate carrier. But under my FLC and pack I don't notice them at all. Besides for me 90% of the time I only need to wear the belt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
anybody running G-Code holsters & RTI mounts on their belts?  

Comments, complaints, recommendations?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Medic2RN:

View Quote

I really like mine a lot.  It's pretty good for switching between pistol or just removing the pistol to put in my range bag.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:

I really like mine a lot.  It's pretty good for switching between pistol or just removing the pistol to put in my range bag.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:

Buy one. do it. now!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Maybe...

" />
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Why have both left- and right-hand versions of your holsters?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By twitch1706:
View Quote

The lefties are for an RTI Wheel I have mounted in my Suburban.  Makes long drives much more pleasant.

" />
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AD43576:

The lefties are for an RTI Wheel I have mounted in my Suburban.  Makes long drives much more pleasant.

http://<a href=http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh495/AD43576/9b815b31.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes

http://<a href=http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh495/AD43576/9b815b31.jpg</a>" />

I forgot about that.  I also have one mounted under the dash in my truck.  It's great for that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]

If push comes to shove we do offer a suspender that hooks to the MOLLE loops.  So it can be done without the rings...  Out of curiosity, what's a common scenario when you would want to remove the warbelt but not set it down?  Taking the Browns to the Super Bowl?

View All Quotes

W.

If push comes to shove we do offer a suspender that hooks to the MOLLE loops.  So it can be done without the rings...  Out of curiosity, what's a common scenario when you would want to remove the warbelt but not set it down?  Taking the Browns to the Super Bowl?

This use of suspenders came to me the first winter match I shot. I was wearing bib overalls. Camo of course. With my belt over them. When natured called it was nice to be able to unclip the belt zip down the bib overalls and take care of business. Without having to drop my gear in the snow or on the out house floor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I've looked through probably most of this thread and most of the ALICE web belt thread and there seems to be two interesting differences.  

1.  Even though people now use stiff, padded MOLLE belts most people only carry 2 rifle mags instead of 6 with the ALICE system.

2.  Same thing, even though most people now use stiff, padded MOLLE belts there are usually a canteen or two of most ALICE web belts and none on the MOLLE setups.

So we've gone to a better system with the MOLLE belts that seems to be superior in comfort and modularity and yet people are carrying less magazines and zero water.

Yes, peoples needs dictates the setups.

But it hardly seems like a step forward especially for people wanting their gear to work well in for a preparedness/shtf scenario.   Most people say they are building these setups more for zombies in  Mayberry and less for fighting in Fallujah.

Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:57:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#13]
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
I've looked through probably most of this thread and most of the ALICE web belt thread and there seems to be two interesting differences.  

1.  Even though people now use stiff, padded MOLLE belts most people only carry 2 rifle mags instead of 6 with the ALICE system.

2.  Same thing, even though most people now use stiff, padded MOLLE belts there are usually a canteen or two of most ALICE web belts and none on the MOLLE setups.

So we've gone to a better system with the MOLLE belts that seems to be superior in comfort and modularity and yet people are carrying less magazines and zero water.

But it hardly seems like a step forward especially for people wanting their gear to work well in for a preparedness/shtf scenario.   Most people say they are building these setups more for zombies in  Mayberry and less for fighting in Fallujah.

View Quote

Hardly anyone wears JUST a warbelt and if they do't it's just in a training environment
My full set up has 6 rifle mags + 1 in the gun and at the capability to carry at LEAST 140oz of water and another 6 mag bandoleer in the assault pack. IMHO, water on the belt is a waste of space

Warbelt is just one piece in the puzzle
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

For my purposes the "war belt" setup is an updated LBE simply because I find it more comfortable than a chest rig or PC.  I think most people here are using it for short range trips and training sessions.  As far as the water goes Camelbaks and hydration systems negate the need for canteen setups unless, of course, you might need to carry extra water or want the canteen w/cup for cooking or shaving or whatever but that would probably require suspenders which a lot of guys here seem to find unnecessary for their purposes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]
My war belt is more of a comfortable LBE. I use it in conjunction with a TT MAV2 or an Esstac LBB so it's light on AR mags and and leans more towards sustainment... IFAK, 1qt canteen w/cup, flashlight/leatherman, etc.

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Hardly anyone wears JUST a warbelt and if they do't it's just in a training environment
My full set up has 6 rifle mags + 1 in the gun and at the capability to carry at LEAST 140oz of water and another 6 mag bandoleer in the assault pack. IMHO, water on the belt is a waste of space

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/IMG_4030-OPSEC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_4030-OPSEC.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/IMG_4030-OPSEC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_4030-OPSEC.jpg</a>

I'm not seeing any 40mm spice racks on your gear there.........

On a serious note this sums it up. Think layers. Warbelt for most is just the first thing that goes on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
well, my belt is finally done. I'm kind of sad in a bittersweet way.

its an HSGI belt
tactical tailor 2x pistol mag pouch
2 itw fastmags
tactical tailor roll up dump pouch mounted to the fast mags
tactical tailor medic pouch (actually i lied about being done, this might get replaced by an SOE IFAK pouch)
tactical tailor rifle pistol combo on my weak side
ESEE 3 Mil knife (AWESOME)
G-code OSH mounted on an RTI drop down panel

loving it so far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A while back, there was a guy (or girl) on here who had a Coyote Brown ATS war belt with a black ARES belt and HSGI tacos in black/coyote.  Possibly a GCode holster as well.  I can't seem to find it now, can somebody help me?  Just trying to get my idea again now that I have the money to build it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I notice that most belts have a rather large pouch of some kind. On the back of the belt. How do you drive a vehicle with the belt on? Or is it a none issue? I have driven with my belt on and adjusted gear accordingly. Still not ideal but I could get into and drive off with any passenger vehicle with my full load out. Sans pack of course.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I notice that most belts have a rather large pouch of some kind. On the back of the belt. How do you drive a vehicle with the belt on? Or is it a none issue? I have driven with my belt on and adjusted gear accordingly. Still not ideal but I could get into and drive off with any passenger vehicle with my full load out. Sans pack of course.
View Quote

I had one on mine and took it off because of how much it interfered with wearing a backpack/plate carrier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It is an issue. Having taken a few vehicle defense/ambush classes now, it has greatly altered how I run my gear. I know run a vehicle hyd carrier and nothing on the back of my belt.

The vehicle hyd carrier rides high on the back, and also helps when shooting from your back. With a full hyd carrier, you tend to roll to one side or another like a turtle.
Drop pistol rigs can be a pain in the ass too, depending on the vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 3:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CT-Shooter] [#23]
View All Quotes

i drive my jeep out to my range with my belt on, it sucks having the ifak in the back but it about evens out with a plate carrier with a back plate in it. still uncomfortable, especially in a small ass jeep cherokee, I'm 6'0 tall/200 its tough enough getting in and out of it comfortably without all that shit on.

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:Drop pistol rigs can be a pain in the ass too, depending on the vehicle.

this too. i was running a drop leg before, hopefully the rig i have now will be better but i doubt it for driving. kind of makes you want to mount it on your plate carrier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Without being a dick about it, let's consider the audience - most of the guys in here just wear this shit in the restroom

There's a ton of shit I've seen in these threads that makes absolutely no sense to me (or at all) - magazines rearward of 3/9, any kind of pouch directly to the rear, double stack pouches directly to 3/9, knives near pistols, retarded knives period, etc.  Like posters above said, once you get an opportunity to vet your gear it changes how things "work".
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

Without being a dick about it, let's consider the audience - most of the guys in here just wear this shit in the restroom

There's a ton of shit I've seen in these threads that makes absolutely no sense to me (or at all) - magazines rearward of 3/9, any kind of pouch directly to the rear, double stack pouches directly to 3/9, knives near pistols, retarded knives period, etc.  Like posters above said, once you get an opportunity to vet your gear it changes how things "work".
View All Quotes

Like that one guy had like 20 secondary magazines and the drop leg platforms.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By CT-Shooter:

i drive my jeep out to my range with my belt on, it sucks having the ifak in the back but it about evens out with a plate carrier with a back plate in it. still uncomfortable, especially in a small ass jeep cherokee, I'm 6'0 tall/200 its tough enough getting in and out of it comfortably without all that shit on.
this too. i was running a drop leg before, hopefully the rig i have now will be better but i doubt it for driving. kind of makes you want to mount it on your plate carrier.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:Drop pistol rigs can be a pain in the ass too, depending on the vehicle.

SF guys spend a lot of time in vehicles, hence why you see their pistols on their PCs often.

My solution was to just mount the pistol in a std height holster. As long as your strong side of the PC is mostly clear, you shouldn't have much trouble drawing it in a vehicle. Hell, the seat belt and rifle sling give more shit than anything else.

Protip: Use a cheap crappy rubber band to secure your rifle sling to your barrel or gas block while stowed in the vehicle. The first round fired will burn off the rubber band, or a light tug on the sling will break it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Protip: Use a cheap crappy rubber band to secure your rifle sling to your barrel or gas block while stowed in the vehicle. The first round fired will burn off the rubber band, or a light tug on the sling will break it.

View Quote

I'm retarded - can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Well thankfully we have a sight were we can ask questions. And receive good input from people with experience. It has shortened my learning curve. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Well thankfully we have a sight were we can ask questions. And receive good input from people with experience. It has shortened my learning curve. Thanks
View Quote

Funny you mention that, I was just telling a friend of mine I figured out shit the expensive way because I only dress down for shooting comps and classes
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Absolutely.

I'm still used to the older web gear and used to duty gear.

I'm learn something every time I come here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Yes I sure can. I'm out of town until the 12th, and then I'll post it up.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

ill be putting mine to the test today we will see how it goes. this thing is constantly changing.

excuse my ignorance but what is the disadvantage to having a knife mounted behind the pistol like i have mine? pic is on page 87. i see your point about having a pouch on the very rear, especially in my case, that pouch is too big, but i don't see any other good real estate for an ifak, do you suggest not running one on the belt at all? thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 11:04:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sconnieVLP] [#33]
[div style='text-align: center;']

View All Quotes

I'll be home this evening, I'll take a pic of what he's talking about. I actually use a chicks hair band though

ETA: My setup is slightly different, but the same general idea. The hairband stays on the forearm and I can tuck the sling into it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Are you sure that 1911 will go bang with all that lint by the firing pin
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
excuse my ignorance but what is the disadvantage to having a knife mounted behind the pistol like i have mine? pic is on page 87. i see your point about having a pouch on the very rear, especially in my case, that pouch is too big, but i don't see any other good real estate for an ifak, do you suggest not running one on the belt at all? thanks.
View Quote

I see two big reasons:
1) Makes the knife much harder to draw
2) In panic, you might accidentally grab the knife instead of the pistol or vice-versa.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#36]
YoteSlayer, what exactly did you use to mount the RTI to the plastic console. I have thought about doing same but worried about pulling the screws out and busting the plastic.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]

ill be putting mine to the test today we will see how it goes. this thing is constantly changing.

View All Quotes

The reason folks knock it is two fold.  The first reason is that if you could get to the knife, you could get to the pistol - so why draw a blade when you can draw a pistol?  The second reason stated is that if you are fighting to keep retention of your pistol, the knife needs to be a weak hand draw; such that your strong hand is clamping down on the pistol to keep it in the holster and your weak hand draws the blade and slashes at the attacker to get him off your weapon.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mxpatriot51:

The reason folks knock it is two fold.  The first reason is that if you could get to the knife, you could get to the pistol - so why draw a blade when you can draw a pistol?  The second reason stated is that if you are fighting to keep retention of your pistol, the knife needs to be a weak hand draw; such that your strong hand is clamping down on the pistol to keep it in the holster and your weak hand draws the blade and slashes at the attacker to get him off your weapon.  

View All Quotes

I learn something new all the time here.  I will be moving my knife to weak hand side.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

I learn something new all the time here.  I will be moving my knife to weak hand side.
View All Quotes

Your entire argument is based on the assumption that the knife is a defensive weapon - a totally retarded assumption, 98% of the time. A RAT RC4 is not a fighting knife. If your knife is a Kabar TDI or a COld steel safe maker, then yes, and the argument can be made for weak side carry.

My RC4 is mounted behind my pistol at a 4 o'clock position. The pistol is on a RTI drop leg so it's a solid 9" from the knife - no chance of accidentally grabbing the wrong item.
The knife, for me, is a tool and my kit is for SHTF, not the hills of a'stan. In SHTF, a medium sized fixed blade is a vital tool

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Your entire argument is based on the assumption that the knife is a defensive weapon - a totally retarded assumption, 98% of the time. A RAT RC4 is not a fighting knife. If your knife is a Kabar TDI or a COld steel safe maker, then yes, and the argument can be made for weak side carry.

My RC4 is mounted behind my pistol at a 4 o'clock position. The pistol is on a RTI drop leg so it's a solid 9" from the knife - no chance of accidentally grabbing the wrong item.
The knife, for me, is a tool and my kit is for SHTF, not the hills of a'stan. In SHTF, a medium sized fixed blade is a vital tool

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/IMG_3573.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_3573.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/IMG_3573.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_3573.jpg</a>

Have you considered an ankle holster?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#41]

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/IMG_3573.jpg
View Quote

Good post, and 100% on the money.

Go ask the guys who've seen action, and they'll tell you that they used their knives to open MREs and extract stuck cases, and that's about it.

There is no excuse for grabbing the wrong item from your belt. My duty rig has a baton beside my pistol, and I will never screw that up. It's a simple training issue.

If you are grabbing the wrong stuff, you need to train more.

Also, regarding the knife as a retention measure, IMO, that is a bad move. If you are fighting for your pistol, you need BOTH hands on it. The second you take a hand off to try to grab and deploy your knife, you'll lose your pistol. Also, slashing/stabbing is not a fight stopper unless you hit something vital, and we know how that goes.

If you are concerned about retention, get training in doing so.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

If you are concerned about retention, use a level 3 holster, not an open-top competition holster
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:03:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sweatpants] [#43]

Go ask the guys who've seen action, and they'll tell you that they used their knives to open MREs and extract stuck cases, and that's about it.
There is no excuse for grabbing the wrong item from your belt. My duty rig has a baton beside my pistol, and I will never screw that up. It's a simple training issue.
Also, regarding the knife as a retention measure, IMO, that is a bad move. If you are fighting for your pistol, you need BOTH hands on it. The second you take a hand off to try to grab and deploy your knife, you'll lose your pistol. Also, slashing/stabbing is not a fight stopper unless you hit something vital, and we know how that goes.

View All Quotes

I'm not going to get into an debate about this - I agree with your statement about training and vetting equipment.  

Based on my personal experience, training, and shared knowledge by those much more experienced and invested in combatives - what is posted above is very bad advice.  Repeating the mantra of "training" will not magically disappear a liability in the path to your pistol.  Regarding entangled fighting - you need one hand to address retention and the other to address distance.  In the context of shooting people, your hands are a bad weapon, your knife is a slightly better weapon ... you need to create distance to engage your superior weapon.  In the context of entangled fighting - the knife is superior at killing people.  If you're using both hands for retention you're decreasing your ability to fight successfully.

If a knife isn't an offensive weapon, and it isn't a defensive weapon - what is it doing on your first line belt?  Knives on first line gear for SHTF?  You're going to wear assaulter's gear for SHTF?  

P.S.  TDIs and Safe Makers are probably one of the most retarded knives I've seen for killing people with.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mxpatriot51] [#44]

View Quote

We are discussing gear that is used in the business of killing people, that is the basis for the advice that I gave.  Take it or leave it, I don't give a shit.  

I never kept a knife on my belt.  Didn't feel I needed it and I was in close proximity to booger eaters on a daily basis.  The guy who asked the question wanted to know reasons to not carry a blade strong side, that's what I gave him.  

If you want to carry a useful tool for SHTF, ditch the fixed blade and pick up a claw hammer.  A claw hammer smashes windows and pries open doors a hell of a lot better than a knife, and attracts a whole lot less attention than a fighting knife.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dinnertime] [#45]

View All Quotes

I seem to remember a officer murdering a suspect in the subway because he pulled his pistol thinking it was his taser, I bet he thought he would never screw that up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

When SHTF and you get an adrenaline dump, training can go by the wayside. You revert to gross motor skills. That's why you don't mix up lights or mutitools up with your pistol mags. When reaching back for your sidearm, you feel something solid enter your palm -- grip and pull. Except it's not your sidearm, it's your knife.

Go check out Defanging the Snake by Vonak. Slicing an opponent's wrist or any number of a series of spots on the body can cause someone to bleed out in 20-30 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#47]
I feel like we're having 4 conversations here

Originally Posted By RDTCU:

If you are concerned about retention, use a level 3 holster, not an open-top competition holster
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

We're talking about fighting - pistol is pulled, you're at point blank range. They were discussing removing one hand from the pistol to grab the knife.

SNIP

SNIP

I'm not going to get into an debate about this - I agree with your statement about training and vetting equipment.  

Based on my personal experience, training, and shared knowledge by those much more experienced and invested in combatives - what is posted above is very bad advice.  Repeating the mantra of "training" will not magically disappear a liability in the path to your pistol.  Regarding entangled fighting - you need one hand to address retention and the other to address distance.  In the context of shooting people, your hands are a bad weapon, your knife is a slightly better weapon ... you need to create distance to engage your superior weapon.  In the context of entangled fighting - the knife is superior at killing people.  If you're using both hands for retention you're decreasing your ability to fight successfully.

If a knife isn't an offensive weapon, and it isn't a defensive weapon - what is it doing on your first line belt? It's semantics but this would be 2nd line. Ares gun belt and CCW should be first line Knives on first line gear for SHTF?  You're going to wear assaulter's gear for SHTF? If it's bad enough that I want a warbelt and PC, then yes. I want a fixed blade handy. And no, this is not plan A SHTF apparel.  

P.S.  TDIs and Safe Makers are probably one of the most retarded knives I've seen for killing people with. I'm not sure kabar or cold steel would claim they are for killing. I envision them both as last ditch "get off me" weapons just designed to earn you another 5 seconds of fight time to come up with a better strategy.

ETA: Pic thread: PantacUSA Adaptive combat belt

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#48]

We are discussing gear that is used in the business of killing people, that is the basis for the advice that I gave.  Take it or leave it, I don't give a shit.  Don't get defensive, I wasn't attacking you. I apologize if it came off that way.

I never kept a knife on my belt.  Didn't feel I needed it and I was in close proximity to booger eaters on a daily basis.  The guy who asked the question wanted to know reasons to not carry a blade strong side, that's what I gave him.  

If you want to carry a useful tool for SHTF, ditch the fixed blade and pick up a claw hammer Not a bad tool to have in the assault pack or the truck. Not feasible for the warbelt. It's all compromises..  A claw hammer smashes windows and pries open doors a hell of a lot better than a knife, and attracts a whole lot less attention than a fighting knife. Out of curiousity, would you call all 4" fixed blades "fighting knives"?

View All Quotes

We are discussing gear that is used in the business of killing people, that is the basis for the advice that I gave.  Take it or leave it, I don't give a shit.  Don't get defensive, I wasn't attacking you. I apologize if it came off that way.

If you want to carry a useful tool for SHTF, ditch the fixed blade and pick up a claw hammer Not a bad tool to have in the assault pack or the truck. Not feasible for the warbelt. It's all compromises..  A claw hammer smashes windows and pries open doors a hell of a lot better than a knife, and attracts a whole lot less attention than a fighting knife. Out of curiousity, would you call all 4" fixed blades "fighting knives"?

Originally Posted By Dinnertime:

I seem to remember a officer murdering a suspect in the subway because he pulled his pistol thinking it was his taser, I bet he thought he would never screw that up.

He probably had a serious training (lack there of) issue
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Dinnertime:

Sort of like your knowledge of knife fighting?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

When SHTF and you get an adrenaline dump, training can go by the wayside. You revert to gross motor skills. That's why you don't mix up lights or mutitools up with your pistol mags. When reaching back for your sidearm, you feel something solid enter your palm -- grip and pull. Except it's not your sidearm, it's your knife.

Go check out Defanging the Snake by Vonak. Slicing an opponent's wrist or any number of a series of spots on the body can cause someone to bleed out in 20-30 seconds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

Holy shit, pick an argument. Either you will have none of your fine motor skills and training goes out the window or you have all of your skills and you can execute a pinpoint slice or stab
You can't have you cake and eat it too, sorry.
Page / 153
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top