Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2018 1:53:39 PM EDT
After buying my Z5P, I have not shot my 9mm SBR.  I would like to sell it to make room in the safe for something else.  As far as I know I can do one of the following:

1. Sell as SBR on Form 4
2. Put pistol brace back on and sell as firearm
3. Sell upper and lower seperately
4. Part out the whole thing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but 2-4 shouldn't require any involvement with the NFA branch correct?

What do you think is the best way for me to sell this?  Thanks in advance for your input.

Photo of SBR.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
At most I'd pull the upper off and sell it.   Put the registered lower back in the safe and save it.   Then you'll have it when you want to do another one without waiting a year and paying $200.

It sounds like you did it on a Form 1.   I can't see someone's previous F1 lower with their info engraved on it as having much value.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess is 2 or 4 would sell faster. Maybe 2 more-so over 4. Depends on the price point.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At most I'd pull the upper off and sell it.   Put the registered lower back in the safe and save it.   Then you'll have it when you want to do another one without waiting a year and paying $200.

It sounds like you did it on a Form 1.   I can't see someone's previous F1 lower with their info engraved on it as having much value.
View Quote
It was done on a form 1.  My trust info is engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard so not very visible.  The upper is the easy part, I'm sure it would sell if priced right.   The dedicated 9mm lower sitting in the safe will likely never be built into something else.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
This...

If you do decide to part it out as a NON-SBR and sell the lower, I think there is a form you are supposed to fill out and and file with the ATF or maybe just a letter instructing them to remove that lower from their database of Registered firearms...

Yea, here is something from that Prince Law Firm about it...
https://blog.princelaw.com/2009/03/25/batfe-letter-requesting-removal-of-a-sbrsbs-from-the-nfrtr/
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was done on a form 1.  My trust info is engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard so not very visible.  The upper is the easy part, I'm sure it would sell if priced right.   The dedicated 9mm lower sitting in the safe will likely never be built into something else.
View Quote
You may think that now, but unless you just hit 70 yrs old, plans can change.  Save that stripped lower in the corner of your safe.  That looks like a nice one to keep.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You may think that now, but unless you just hit 70 yrs old, plans can change.  Save that stripped lower in the corner of your safe.  That looks like a nice one to keep.
View Quote
This, or if you have kids or forsee them in the future (hell even a best bud, ect...) just keep it tucked away in the darkness. you can strip it down and sell all of the other bits and just keep the stripped receiver.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of how visible it is, lowers generally aren't that expensive, and a one time NFA item that's now a pistol would have a low value to me if I was buying it.   With the time and $ cost you can't get back I still say you're better off either taking the intact lower and storing it, or stripping it and selling everything but the lower.   I wouldn't strip it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the all the input gents.  I guess you're right.  I'm 44 with kids and my oldest daughter shoots with me.  She may want it when she's old enough.  I'm going to keep the lower and will most likely sell the rest.  I appreciate your time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
one reason to give preference to form 1 basic AR lowers that are compatible with 5.56 magazines...  unless you just get out of guns altogether, should always find a use for one of those...

Been looking at some pistol mag lowers, but think I will just put on an arm brace.  or find a mag block setup for one of my regular SBR lowers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the lower, sell the upper & parts

The NFA lower has no value to anyone except for you
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Sell everything but the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty sure that's what he's going to do...

Quoted:
Thanks for the all the input gents.  I guess you're right.  I'm 44 with kids and my oldest daughter shoots with me.  She may want it when she's old enough.  I'm going to keep the lower and will most likely sell the rest.  I appreciate your time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Sell the upper and you can part out everything except the stripped receiver which takes up almost no room.
If down the road you decide to run it as a SBR its there you just have to add the parts back in.
Very nice looking 9mm SBR BTW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top