Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2017 7:35:59 PM EDT
Lately I've been wanting a big knife for camping.  All I have is a Mora and a few folders now.  I've been thinking about either a kurkri or a seax.  I don't really know though.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, you said BIG knife.  NM.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This or some flavor of the ESEE chunky blades.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Tops BOB  https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPS-Black-BOB-Brothers-of-Bushcraft-FIELDCRAFT-Fixed-Knife-Sheath-TPBROSBLK10/372144488687?epid=664646609&hash=item56a58a40ef:g:SHwAAOSwm7pZ1t8a:sc:USPSFirstClass!50314!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPS-Micarta-EL-CHETE-Straight-1095-Carbon-Fixed-Blade-Knife-Sheath-ELCH-01/372158869040?epid=856370750&hash=item56a665ae30:g:~woAAOSw6kVZ3nH2:sc:USPSPriority!50314!US!-1

I prefer an axe for most camping tasks. these would be two very good choices well worth what they cost and about half what you will pay for them on Amazon. Razor Sharp. see videos on Youtube.

https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/gransfors-bruks-inc/small-forest-axe-5755

https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/gransfors-bruks-inc/wildlife-hatchet-5753

https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/gransfors-bruks-inc/swedish-carving-axe-5758 ---- My favorite
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure this qualifies, but I've had my eye on this one for a while.

Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Knife

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Kabar Becker BK9.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I recognize the attraction to big blades and have several.

That said a folding saw like a Silky Big Boy 2000 or similar is far safer and more efficient than any kind of big blade or axe.

The amount of energy necessary to process firewood with a hand axe, kukri,big knife is exponentially higher than with a saw and the rate at which it can be processed is also much lower than with a saw.

Saws like the Silky(they make many) are light, durable and compact. Hacking away with a knife or hand axe is an inherently dangerous past time and when you are a long way from an ER that is a consideration as accidents do happen.

Lots of videos on YouTube
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Becker BK10
Yur welcome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kabar Becker BK9.
View Quote
This. Get the micarta replacement grip slabs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Esee 6
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
For a big functional knife, look at the Finnish Skrama knife. Less than $100 shipped with leather sheath or less than $70 shipped for just the plastic liner. They come instock all the time and sell out in a few days. Seems to be about a two week cycle for instock.

The Best Bushcraft Knife! - Tera¨va¨ Skrama Bush Knife (Varusteleka) - Review
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been eyeing this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWRFHKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_VlknAb3Q7REDR

But have still been looking for a seax with decent steel that isn't a one off piece.  Unfortunately I can't afford $300 for a new blade.

Something like this though:

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bigger BK 7
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
ESEE Junglas
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to really go big, busse battle mistress.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Some pretty sweet Gerbers out there, LMF2
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ESEE Junglas
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Not big fans of the kukris here I guess?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A Becker BK10 and Bahco folding saw probably weighs as much as a Kukri.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have the ka-bar "machete" kukhri and I love it.  Pretty easy to sharpen,  chops well,  and is easy to choke up on and get after some fine detail with if necessary. I've done batoning with it without issue.  Usually,  I carry it and a Mora Companion or #2 and consider that all to be good.
That said,
Having a machete style big knife makes sense in central FL,  where things need to be hacked on the trail.  If I lived in more deciduous woods,  I'd opt for the Mora/ saw combo. Saws are awesome for wood processing.  I carry a camping saw in my pack for chunking things up,  the large saw mentioned a few posts up could easily replace my large knife in the right circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Then maybe I just need something a little more solid than my mora to supplement my axe and maybe add a folding saw?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Then maybe I just need something a little more solid than my mora to supplement my axe and maybe add a folding saw?
View Quote
I think your Mora is fine,  get a Garberg if rat tail tang knives scare you. In AZ, a saw makes more sense than a large knife,  other than large knives are awesome on their own merit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I love kukri, I've been loving kukri since before kukri were cool.

BUT I'll still take a saw.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For a big functional knife, look at the Finnish Skrama knife. Less than $100 shipped with leather sheath or less than $70 shipped for just the plastic liner. They come instock all the time and sell out in a few days. Seems to be about a two week cycle for instock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NicYWWI9P2M
View Quote
That looks like a hell of a deal. Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think your Mora is fine,  get a Garberg if rat tail tang knives scare you. In AZ, a saw makes more sense than a large knife,  other than large knives are awesome on their own merit.
View Quote
The Mora is great, I just find that I don't end up using it very much.  We are only allowed to use dead fall around here when we camp, so I don't do much feathering/carving/delicate work.  Everything is pretty rotten through.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I love big blades (the smallest is the A2 which is a hair shorter than 8"):

However, they actually need a lot of dedication to really maximize their value.  I often get by with a smaller fixed blade (like a Mora) and a saw for 90% of my cutting needs.  During the winter months, and when I know a fire is going to be used more often for cooking or leisure, I often add an axe.  During the spring and summer time, I often find a machete a good addition as I need to deal with briars and leafier vegetation.

A large fixed blade (9+inch blade) is a very versatile tool, but as mentioned, it needs a ton of dedication to really make the size and weight worth the effort.  I've found I really need to take "just" a large knife and maybe a smaller folder like a SAK.  If I have a smaller fixed blade, I end up using it more than the large blade.  The only downside to a large blade is carrying one.  They don't integrate will with a pack and the length can get a little cumbersome without a quality carry rig.  This is why I often prefer a smaller fixed blade that is on my belt 24/7 as opposed to a lager blade that often gets strapped to or put inside my pack.

Most fixed blades under 9" are just not necessarily decent choppers and even longer blades aren't always competitive with a decent axe or as efficient as a saw.  Of course, the value of a big knife is doing small knife chores, which axes and saws don't compare with.  Some other nice aspects is that a large fixed blade is more than a cutting tool; they can be used to baton wood, dig, hammer, and pry.  Those aren't tasks you would do to any significant extent with a Mora or most smaller fixed blades.  The big question, are you willing to use your large fixed blade for those tasks?  The more specialized tools you pack, the least need you have for a big fixed blade.

There's a lot of romance and marketing for larger fixed blades and many of the "survival" shows advertise them.  I'm an old acolyte from the late Ron Hood, and if you watch some of his older videos you'll see just how versatile a large fixed blade can be...if you really plan to make it your primary tool and dedicate the time to use it to its potential.

All that said, If I'm doing any type of "primitive" outings, I mostly go with a smaller fixed blade and a saw.  If I need a "chopper" it's either an axe (or tomahawk) or machete (or kukri):

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not sure this qualifies, but I've had my eye on this one for a while.

Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Knife

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/516/516055.jpg
View Quote
FWIW

I have the same knife... Holds a real good edge, darned nice knife..

That being said, I've been eyeing one of these..
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Esse 5 or 6.  I have the 5 and have used it to chop and split small wood many times, and with only a quick hone it still push cuts paper with ease.  Impressive for such a thick blade.  I like to keep it in my truck what for the glass breaker on the butt end.

The Junglas is also cool but truly massive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#30]
BK9 and a soldering iron.

Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I recognize the attraction to big blades and have several.

That said a folding saw like a Silky Big Boy 2000 or similar is far safer and more efficient than any kind of big blade or axe.

The amount of energy necessary to process firewood with a hand axe, kukri,big knife is exponentially higher than with a saw and the rate at which it can be processed is also much lower than with a saw.

Saws like the Silky(they make many) are light, durable and compact. Hacking away with a knife or hand axe is an inherently dangerous past time and when you are a long way from an ER that is a consideration as accidents do happen.

Lots of videos on YouTube
View Quote
Yep, that is cool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Martindale Golok No. 2

Kabar Cutlass Machete

ESEE Junglas
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Do the folding saws have any benefits over the folding bow saw types?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quicker to deploy and store no assembly required, more reach, can be used to undercut a log on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a Silky Gomboy last Christmas, just to have.

I want a Junglas in venom green, next.

Again, just to have.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would only add the narrow profile helps when cutting saplings close to the ground or collecting green bows under the tight confines of a tree.  When notching or doing smaller cuts for traps or shelter poles, they are pretty handy as well.  Your typical bow saw will be far more efficient when cutting larger logs, but the folding saws are quite versatile as well.

If I had the choice, I would have both my Dustrude collapsible bow saw (I have the 24" blade, but they have a 30" model), which is a supreme cutter...and pair that with my little pocket Silky 130 folding saw for those really tight cutting chores or smaller cutting tasks.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#37]
For most camp chores I use my smaller knife like a Mora but a big camp knife like the BK9 is very handy. They are not something you are going to use much car camping but I realized their utility the first time I had the BK9 on a primitive campout.  For wood processing, clearing the campsite, and making shelters they excel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#38]
There is a smaller ESEE Junglas out this year.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lately I've been wanting a big knife for camping.  All I have is a Mora and a few folders now.  I've been thinking about either a kurkri or a seax.  I don't really know though.  Any thoughts?
View Quote
WILKINSON SWORD DARTMOOR SURVIVAL KNIFE CSK185

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I have the Ontario RTAK I think it is called.  Holy heck that is a big very sharp knife.  Have not used it for much yet but it seems solid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I think you guys have me sold on a silky saw and a skrama.

Unfortunately, after work kicking my ass this week in preparation of being off next week i guess i missed the skramas being in stock. Doh!

Hopefully they show back up in stock soon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am.  Have a couple of Kukri's from The Khukri House on order now which brings my total to more than I need.

Khukri House

But man I just love this blades.  They are work horses.

Here are a few of mine including a Zombie Tools "Vakra" kukri.  I love their blades too.
" />
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NicYWWI9P2M
View Quote
Sold out while I was adding it to my cart.
Just found on Blade Forums...now I need the mini as well.
Thanx!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sold out while I was adding it to my cart.
Just found on Blade Forums...now I need the mini as well.
Thanx!!!
View Quote
Are there more available on BF?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are there more available on BF?
View Quote
The guy has a Finnish 140 Pukko...that's all that's left.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I am.  Have a couple of Kukri's from The Khukri House on order now which brings my total to more than I need.

Khukri House

But man I just love this blades.  They are work horses.

Here are a few of mine including a Zombie Tools "Vakra" kukri.  I love their blades too.
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j406/hightower762/MyKukris_zpskwz4kejr.jpg
View Quote
Photobucket sucks. And so does navigating that site but man, they do make some awesome knives. I need to order another one...I like the "USA" line that have hilts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I really like my TOPS Tahoma.
There are some Youtube videos explaining the different features. Personally I have not found much use the sharpened top edge or the pot handle doohicky. You can get it with the top edge unsharpened (which is only a couple inches anyway). Plenty of heft for chopping and long enough for batoning. The interesting thing is the hole in the blade is .30, naturally it can be used in the traditional ways but can also be used to pop out bullets to get the gun powder for starting fires if needed.
ETA: Not my pic
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess i sat on the couch himming and hawwing one too many nights, because my wife got me this for Christmas:

Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess i sat on the couch himming and hawwing one too many nights, because my wife got me this for Christmas:

https://i.imgur.com/nq5nl5v.jpg
View Quote
That’s a beauty
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about either a kurkri or a seax.
View Quote
<
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top