Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2018 12:09:07 PM EDT
Hey all,

Just getting started into reloading here so I am running into a few things that may be normal but figured I would check with y'all. I ran 200 rounds of WWB through my 1911 during the break in process and have now begun prepping the brass for reloading. When depriming, three cases did not fit into the shell holder; all were WWB. All other headstamps fit perfectly, as did all of the other Winchester brass.

Is this something that you have noticed before?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed this with a bunch of calibers, including 9x19, .45 ACP, and .223 Rem.  The culprit is usually a damaged head.  Dinged, dented, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What brand shell holder?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing that may play into it not being inflicted by the extractor is.....Winchester subs out some of their production.  
I know S&B 45 ACP brass has a thicker rim.  But, not so much preclude using a regular shell holder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What brand shell holder?
View Quote
Hornady.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bent rim on a hard pull out of a chamber causing the rim not to fit into the shell holder.

If you take a good look at the rim, will notice a nastly bur in the top of rim from the extractor, and is half of the problem.

So you can clean up the case rim, but since 45ACP brass is so plentiful, when you run across a few cases like this, just throw those pieces of brass away.

Also to point out, if the cases where fine, and now a problem on the second loadings, really need to check your extractor, and the loads since they may be going way over pressure.

Good write up on extractor cleaning and tuning,
[url]https://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm[/
View Quote
Thank you. Rims show no noted burrs. I'm not worried about losing some brass, was just curious. This was once-fired factory WWB brass that is being prepped for reloading for the first time. Extractor is properly tensioned.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...When depriming, three cases did not fit into the shell holder; all were WWB. ...
View Quote
Did you check to see whether the primer had backed out slightly and was causing the case to bind in the jaws of the shell holder?  Most of the time when that happens to me, the cause is a slightly backed-out primer.  If that is the cause, just use a pin punch and mallet to drive the primer out of the case and then carefully observe whether the primer pocket is loose when you re-prime the case.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
A bent rim cam also keep a case from sliding into the shell holder.

I just toss these in the scrap bucket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top