Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2018 12:17:17 PM EDT
I have a Remington 870 Tac-14 and was thinking about Form 1'ing it and making a nice SBS.   Anyone done this yet?    Pics?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious as to why?

Why not both?

SBS a full size shotgun for when you want a stock; TAC-14 for when you don’t.

I have an SBS in the bedroom and a couple of TAC-14s strategically hidden in other rooms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just sent in my form 1 to do exactly that. I’ve got two tac 14s so i figured just make one into an SBS.  I have a 18.5 already but wanted to keep that one the way it is.  If you want to see how it’ll look just check out Chris Bakers Short and Stout video of his SBS on the Lilucky Gunner site.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been wanting to do the same thing.

I also thought about asking my local dealer to make an AOW from one as it would only be a $5 tax.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Sort of. Currently waiting on a Form 1 approval to SBS my Mossberg Shockwave 20ga.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been wanting to do the same thing.

I also thought about asking my local dealer to make an AOW from one as it would only be a $5 tax.
View Quote
Please clarify what you want to have your local dealer do?  If he puts a stock on it, it becomes an SBS, not an AOW and the transfer tax would then be $200 not $5.   Also if a dealer creates an AOW he has to be an 07/SOT not just a class III dealer.

Just don't want to see anyone get jammed up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Please clarify what you want to have your local dealer do?  If he puts a stock on it, it becomes an SBS, not an AOW and the transfer tax would then be $200 not $5.   Also if a dealer creates an AOW he has to be an 07/SOT not just a class III dealer.

View Quote
He's an SOT.  I thought about asking him to put a traditional grip on one, so it would be shorter.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He's an SOT.  I thought about asking him to put a traditional grip on one, so it would be shorter.
View Quote
Ah, I get it now.  You're talking about the SOT changing the birdshead grip out for a traditional pistol grip.  I thought you were talking about adding a shoulder stock.  Then yes, I believe the grip change would reclassify it as an AOW because of it's shorter overall length, and yes your SOT could transfer it to you on a Form4 as an AOW.  You are correct, the cost for the transfer tax would only be $5.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered a TAC-14 with the plan of turning it into a SBS. Other than just buying an already registered SBS this seems like the easiest route. Send in form 1, enjoy in current form, receive form 1, engrave, replace birds head grip with stock, enjoy more.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
My local shop just got in some Tac-14's that are box magazine fed.  Now that would make a cool SBS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your "dealer" needs to be licensed as an 07FFL "Manufacturer" with SOT in order to Form 2 your Shockwave or Tac14 into an AOW. An 01FFL "Dealer" with an SOT can't use Form 2's to manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been wanting to do the same thing, trying to luck out and find a used tac 14 on the cheap to start with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I am considering converting one Remington TAC-14 to SBS with a Remington Factory Top folding police stock.  I like the look of that stock for some reason despite it not being the most comfortable/practical stock.  I have an 18 police 870 with that same stock and can use it well enough to enjoy shooting with it- (note with 2 3/4 ammo anyway).  shooting that stock with 3 inch mags can sometimes develop a flinch and cheek pain after a few rounds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm considering buying a wood TAC-14 and Form-1, then add a spare police top folder stock.  Sadly that stock is less comfortable than many braces
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I will echo the recommendation of a police trade-in. Police gun will have better components and finish.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Curious as to why?

Why not both?

SBS a full size shotgun for when you want a stock; TAC-14 for when you don't.
View Quote
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the law, but after you get a tax stamp for a Remmy TAC-14 or Mossy Shockwave to make an SBS, can't you still go back and forth from SBS to a "firearm" at will by removing the stock and restoring the original Shockwave Raptor grip?

I am incorrect.  This is clarified here
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I just SBSd mine with the fab defense side folder. I really like it. I’ll take a pic
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just SBSd mine with the fab defense side folder. I really like it. I’ll take a pic
View Quote
@teddypewtholay

Where the pic?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My F1 came back end of May.

Here's the TAC14 I mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/Rem870SBS-635438.JPG
View Quote
I just ordered a TAC14 so I can do this!

Looks good!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@teddypewtholay

Where the pic?
View Quote
Sorry forgot about this post. See if this works. Don’t know why posting photos is such a PITA here.

TAC 14 sbs
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm considering buying a wood TAC-14 and Form-1, then add a spare police top folder stock.  Sadly that stock is less comfortable than many braces
View Quote
I have no issues at the shoulder, it's more comfortable than any other stock due to the width of the buttplate.  What it does to my cheek is entirely a different story.  I think that stock would go well on a tac-14.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not save the $200 and put an SB Tactical brace on? I've done that with a shockwave, a TAC-14, and I'm waiting for the right adapter to do it on my TAC-13... The SBA 4 and SBA 3 "braces" are great! Solid, nice cheek weld.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry, double post
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I finally efiled a form 1 for my TAC-14 (and a second for my 20 gauge Shockwave actually). Prints will go in the mail tomorrow.

So, my question:  Can anyone suggest a good place to have my 14” barrel cut down to 12.5”?  Or anywhere to buy a 12.5” 870 barrel?  I’m sticking with the 4-shot magazine and going with the shorter barrel rather than sticking with the 14” barrel and adding a +1 extension.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Rose Action Sports. He’s the resident shotgun barrel expert. He’ll cut and thread for chokes.

@GunCat

Quoted:
Well, I finally efiled a form 1 for my TAC-14 (and a second for my 20 gauge Shockwave actually). Prints will go in the mail tomorrow.

So, my question:  Can anyone suggest a good place to have my 14” barrel cut down to 12.5”?  Or anywhere to buy a 12.5” 870 barrel?  I’m sticking with the 4-shot magazine and going with the shorter barrel rather than sticking with the 14” barrel and adding a +1 extension.

Thanks!
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top