Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2022 2:06:20 AM EDT
Trying to figure out which way to go. All my guns have Surefire IR PRO 6-volt scout lights and I'm about to get back into NV. I know the differences between DBAL-A3 and DBAL-I2 as far as slaved IR pointers. This question is about IR flood only, nothing in the visible spectrum.

Does the Surefire put out more IR than the DBAL-A3?

I'm considering going with non-slaved DBAL-I2's due to being a lot less money than the DBAL-A3's. Using the pointer from the DBAL-I2 and flood from the Surefire.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
While I've  never used a IR PRO ot does have the same IR output as the 600V series lights. The A3 IR throw is an anemic 60-70 yards if that in urban lighting. The 600V is slightly better to maybe 80-90 yards. IMHO you'd be better served with a D2 since the illuminator
can reach out to 500 yards plus.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Trying to figure out which way to go. All my guns have Surefire IR PRO 6-volt scout lights and I'm about to get back into NV. I know the differences between DBAL-A3 and DBAL-I2 as far as slaved IR pointers. This question is about IR flood only, nothing in the visible spectrum.

Does the Surefire put out more IR than the DBAL-A3?

I'm considering going with non-slaved DBAL-I2's due to being a lot less money than the DBAL-A3's. Using the pointer from the DBAL-I2 and flood from the Surefire.
View Quote

The I2 and A3 are trash. Don’t buy either. Get the D2 if you want a DBAL. 9hole reviews did a great review on them.

The Best IR Device? A Comparison | DBAL, ATPIAL, VAMPIRE, PERST, MAWL
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Had an A3 shortly and was less than impressed with the illum. Do yourself a favor and get a mawl or FP unit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had an A3 shortly and was less than impressed with the illum. Do yourself a favor and get a mawl or FP unit.
View Quote

Or a D2. D2 with a diffuser is tits.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up buying a DBAL-A3 and a DBAL-D2 today. I'll be putting the DBAL-A3 on the MP5, DBAL-D2's on everything else. Now I need 3 more D2's and 5 Diffusers.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The I2 and A3 are trash. Don’t buy either. Get the D2 if you want a DBAL. 9hole reviews did a great review on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFkpJcsngqQ
View Quote

Excellent video, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I've  never used a IR PRO ot does have the same IR output as the 600V series lights. The A3 IR throw is an anemic 60-70 yards if that in urban lighting. The 600V is slightly better to maybe 80-90 yards.
View Quote

This, but maybe you can squeak out the SF IR light to 150 or so in dark rural settings.

My DBAL A3's are my least favorite, poorest performing, most expensive laser/illum setups (partly because I didn't get great deal on them).   At $900 they're underwhelming.  At $1200-1300 they're kinda crap.   I have all mine on short range stuff where the limitations don't really matter.

Tip: if the illum beam looks spotty, you need to clean the lens.  Not like with a cleaner or anything, just carefully wipe it off.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, but maybe you can squeak out the SF IR light to 150 or so in dark rural settings.

My DBAL A3's are my least favorite, poorest performing, most expensive laser/illum setups (partly because I didn't get great deal on them).   At $900 they're underwhelming.  At $1200-1300 they're kinda crap.   I have all mine on short range stuff where the limitations don't really matter.

Tip: if the illum beam looks spotty, you need to clean the lens.  Not like with a cleaner or anything, just carefully wipe it off.

View Quote

You maybe able to eek out 125-150 in a near dark environment, but I like the ability to blow through white lit areas into dark places. The A3, 9007, APTIAL-C have their place when it comes to indoors or when your capabilities to reach past 70 yards are not needed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
In actual near complete darkness, perhaps the A3 is somewhat useful but man, in an urban setting, I found the A3 to be almost useless.  With ambient light, there just isn't enough power to really illuminate anything.  It ends up looking like a giant laser pointer that doesn't really show any measure of detail.

The D2 is the way to go for anything that will work with its size.

I've also found LED illuminators to actually work like flash lights up close and find them to be preferential to neutered laser based illuminators.  They seem to add more detail to what i'm observing under the NODS than the laser.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Own a FP DBAL-A3 and use the TNVC DBAL TAPS Sync with it. Hate to be the one to say this however, the MAWL C1 does a much better job with IR Flood.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Own a FP DBAL-A3 and use the TNVC DBAL TAPS Sync with it. Hate to be the one to say this however, the MAWL C1 does a much better job with IR Flood.
View Quote

I have a FP A3 as well and I disagree. Side by side, the MAWL under performs and the laser itself gets washed out. The FP A3 is better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

That's a mountain side in Colorado maybe about 600 yards or farther.

Its a Perst 3 though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top