Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2020 10:12:31 AM EDT
I can not believe Browning has discontinued the takedown BLR’s!  Those are awesome BLR’s that one can clean the bore from the breach end!  Not to mention easy to discreetly carry.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably not big sellers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
These things were F’n awesome!
https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/rifles-reviews/the-most-unique-browning-blr-lightweight-81-takedown
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago my friend tried to get Lew Bonitz to work his guide gun magic on a BLR take down in .308. Unfortunately he declined, only does Marlins...Would’ve been cool as hell with a scout rail and LPA ghost rings.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are beautiful guns.  Expect the prices to sky-rocket.

Hking
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Browning has recataloged the takedown!
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/current-production/blr-lightweight-81-stainless-takedown.html
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
They need a BLR in .350 Legend

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Those are beautiful guns.  Expect the prices to sky-rocket.

Hking
View Quote

Quoted:
Browning has recataloged the takedown!
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/current-production/blr-lightweight-81-stainless-takedown.html
View Quote

Sweet!!!   I should get one this time.  

243 or 6.5C ??  
How common is the 6.5C out in the world?  Like if I'm on a roadtrip and walk into a LGS.  Will it be there? Excluding panics.

I can't handle much recoil anymore.  I'd probably have the barrel threaded for FH.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sweet!!!   I should get one this time.  

243 or 6.5C ??  
How common is the 6.5C out in the world?  Like if I'm on a roadtrip and walk into a LGS.  Will it be there? Excluding panics.
View Quote

6.5 Creedmoor is super common nowadays.  It should be just as common as 308 Win, 270 Win, 30-06, etc.  I've been to hardware stores out in the middle of nowhere in Michigan that sell ammo and they always have 6.5 Creedmoor.

Four or five years ago hunting ammo was kind of hard to come by for it, but it's been gaining so much popularity so fast that there are a plethora of hunting loads for the Creedmoor.  I like the round so much I all but dumped the 308 for bolt guns.  I like it as a BR cartridge, but in a rifle more geared for precision I'd take a Creedmoor 7 days of the week and twice on Sunday.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine is chambered in .358 Win.
Simple cartridge to reload in a wide range of power.  Neck up and trim .308 Win.  Load readily available bullets.

It's a great woods gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

6.5 Creedmoor is super common nowadays.  It should be just as common as 308 Win, 270 Win, 30-06, etc.  I've been to hardware stores out in the middle of nowhere in Michigan that sell ammo and they always have 6.5 Creedmoor.

Four or five years ago hunting ammo was kind of hard to come by for it, but it's been gaining so much popularity so fast that there are a plethora of hunting loads for the Creedmoor.  I like the round so much I all but dumped the 308 for bolt guns.  I like it as a BR cartridge, but in a rifle more geared for precision I'd take a Creedmoor 7 days of the week and twice on Sunday.

View Quote
 i am intrigued.   No bench rest here.  I'd probably sight in with Fed Fusion and use it for everything.  

Quoted:
Simple cartridge to reload in a wide range of power.  Neck up and trim .308 Win.  Load readily available bullets.

It's a great woods gun.
View Quote

Where I am with 243.

Honestly if Browning released a 6.5G or 7.62x39 I'd go towards that. Just because of the low recoil.  Between my neck, chest & shoulder. I can't take much any more.

The takedown feature is what I want most.  Travel & camp. Deer, pigs, bear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I was always partial to the pistol grip models myself.  They used to make a takedown of that as well, but discontinued it years ago.  I managed to find one in 300WSM back when they were available.

https://www.browning.com/content/browning/en/products/firearms/rifles/blr/discontinued/blr-lightweight-takedown-pistol-grip.html

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a great woods gun.

Quoted:
i am intrigued.   No bench rest here.  I'd probably sight in with Fed Fusion and use it for everything.  

Where I am with 243.

Honestly if Browning released a 6.5G or 7.62x39 I'd go towards that. Just because of the low recoil.  Between my neck, chest & shoulder. I can't take much any more.

The takedown feature is what I want most.  Travel & camp. Deer, pigs, bear.

You definitely don't want .358 Win.  It's a thumper.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a Henry Long Ranger in .308 last July. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Browning. I'm not interested in take down or a gray wood finish. Price range is about the same.  :(
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Yup; see the 10/14/20 post. Hopefully, it stays cataloged for years to come!
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I purchased a Henry Long Ranger in .308 last July. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Browning. I'm not interested in take down or a gray wood finish. Price range is about the same.  :(
View Quote

I really wanted a BLR in 308 in the worst way, but settled for a Henry Long Ranger for one reason. The BLR 308 has a 1in12" twist which means 168 grain bullet would be the heaviest that might work. Nothing heavier for sure. That eliminates my bear and elk rounds in 308. The Henry Long Ranger comes with a 1 in 10" twist, which will shoot anything in 308. It doesn't break in half like the BLR, but being boxed into smaller loads was a no go for me with the BLR. I know some will say a 1 in 12 twist is all you need for any 308 load, but they're wrong. Hornady's 168gr Superformance won't stabilize in a 1in 12" twist. I know that from experience. So it's too bad Browning chose such a light twist for what reason? Most 308 rifles like the Remington model 700 are 1 in 11 twist. The Henry long Ranger handles my 180gr Hornady Accubonds just fine.  

I'm just putting this out there to let anybody thinking of spending that much money on a BLR 308 know that it has it's limitations on what it will shoot. I'm not saying the Henry is better in any other aspect. It may or may not be be, but it will shoot sub MOA out to 500 yards with a scope and 168gr Match Kings. That and it takes magazines like the BLR for fast loading and unloading.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
A friend has a stainless BLR in .223.  Gorgeous rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
That gives me a 404 error?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]
4 years ago, it was about a 1 year wait for my .308 stainless takedown. It is the one rifle i will never sell.
Did I need a take down. Heck no, its judt cool as hell.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So 300WM is probably a pretty rough ride in a BLR lightweight?

For some reason I've always loved the idea of a magnum levergun...a lightweight, packable takedown checks all the boxes including the "unpleasant to shoot box"...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For some reason I've always loved the idea of a magnum levergun...a lightweight, packable takedown checks all the boxes including the "unpleasant to shoot box"...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven’t shot my .300 Win Mag BLR that much but when I last did it felt comparable to my 1903 Springfield.  Of course one has a steel pad versus some nice cushy rubber.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I haven’t shot my .300 Win Mag BLR that much but when I last did it felt comparable to my 1903 Springfield.  Of course one has a steel pad versus some nice cushy rubber.
View Quote

Haha, you're not helping me out here...I'm thinking I may have to get one, may never have a chance again. Magnum lever guns probably don't get a lot of sales...I just wish I could get my hands on a BLR somewhere so I could know how it feels before I buy...

And I wouldn't mind having one in .308 or .243 as well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top