Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2020 10:49:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless its all/mostly WRA it shouldn't command a premium...

Yes it's lower number made but is some of the worst machining and finishing.  I have a correct(ed) '44 WRA.  It hasn't seen the range in maybe 15 years.  I should probably shoot it more...lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I bought a WRA barrel for my 41 Winchester. The barrel has higher TE/ME numbers but it shoots well. The WRA barrel was not very expensive, at all.

Let's discuss the value of a winchester receiver with a WRA barrel and without a wra barrel. Would a Winchester with a wra barrel with higher numbers be worth more because it's a wra or would it be worth less because of the numbers? I know some guys take numbers to heart while others don't care as long as its what they are looking for and it shoots well. I use the rifle for blasting at steel out to 300 yards but mainly for 100 range drills. Thoughts?
View Quote
I have two M1s that were built on Winchester receivers.   They both have Winchester bolts; one has a Criterion barrel and the other has a Springfield Armory barrel.

Both these rifles shoot well and both are fun to shoot.   If I could have found a Winchester barrel, I still would have used a new commercial barrel or a NOS Springfield barrel.

The thing is that the rifle was only original once.   Unless everything is original WRA, it's just a rebuilt rifle.  And in all honesty I don't think that the Winchester receivers are as good as the others that I have.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its almost all winchester.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it's lower number made but is some of the worst machining and finishing.  I have a correct(ed) '44 WRA.  It hasn't seen the range in maybe 15 years.  I should probably shoot it more...lol
Yeah but not original WRA...its just worth the sum of the parts...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its not 100% correct winchester for its manufacture date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but not original WRA...its just worth the sum of the parts...
Its not 100% correct winchester for its manufacture date.
Right...then its just WRA in name and the value is in breaking it down for parts.  Not as a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have two M1s that were built on Winchester receivers.   They both have Winchester bolts; one has a Criterion barrel and the other has a Springfield Armory barrel.

Both these rifles shoot well and both are fun to shoot.   If I could have found a Winchester barrel, I still would have used a new commercial barrel or a NOS Springfield barrel.

The thing is that the rifle was only original once.   Unless everything is original WRA, it's just a rebuilt rifle.  And in all honesty I don't think that the Winchester receivers are as good as the others that I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I bought a WRA barrel for my 41 Winchester. The barrel has higher TE/ME numbers but it shoots well. The WRA barrel was not very expensive, at all.

Let's discuss the value of a winchester receiver with a WRA barrel and without a wra barrel. Would a Winchester with a wra barrel with higher numbers be worth more because it's a wra or would it be worth less because of the numbers? I know some guys take numbers to heart while others don't care as long as its what they are looking for and it shoots well. I use the rifle for blasting at steel out to 300 yards but mainly for 100 range drills. Thoughts?

I have two cmp WRA rifles.   One of them is missing two machining operations, basically lightening, shaping cuts aft of the op rod handle slot.

Add in in the poor machining marks.  One WRA I sent back for replacement was in Greek service, they silver soldered a barrel that wouldn’t draw tight.  I think Winchester slipped a short faced receiver in to the army and stock barrels wouldn’t draw tight at TDC.  The Greeks soldered it at TDC.  I wouldn’t found it but the shot so poorly I was really looking it over to figure it out.   Sent that one back and they built me another from parts, including lock bars.

I would like a VG WRA barrel but there are only so many.   That said any barrel that shoots well is good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
For a collector a WRA with an appropriate WRA barrel is worth more than one with an SA, LMR, HRA or aftermarket barrel.  As a shooter only the TE/ME numbers really matter.

A properly restored WRA rifle is worth more than a typical rebuild but not as much as an untouched all original rifle.  You'll never get your money back from a restoration though especially on a Winnie or an IHC.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have two cmp WRA rifles.   One of them is missing two machining operations, basically lightening, shaping cuts aft of the op rod handle slot.

Add in in the poor machining marks.  One WRA I sent back for replacement was in Greek service, they silver soldered a barrel that wouldn’t draw tight.  I think Winchester slipped a short faced receiver in to the army and stock barrels wouldn’t draw tight at TDC.

View Quote
This is not a greek repair and is not silver soldered. If a receiver was out of spec but otherwise serviceable US arsenals chromed the receiver face for proper barrel draw. I have seen this done on other manufacture garands not just WRA. I have seen it done also on SA and IHC rifles
Instead of throwing out parts arsenals would repair salvage them. As another example, when bullet guide lugs would wear out of spec the would chrome the tip of the lug to build up material. If you ever see a bullet guide with a shiny tip this is one of them. When refinished the chrome will not take parkerizing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top