Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2022 5:22:21 PM EDT
Is there anything special about this? I tried looking online but the only thing I could find is that they are Winchester.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Cartridge cases are nickel plated so you can leave then in leather belt loops without them turning green from corrosion, usually done in the old black powder calibers like 45/70, 30/30, 38WCF, 44WCF and 45 Colt. Not sure why you would nickel plate 223 cases.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
From my understanding for reloading they are the same as normal winchester cases.  It seems that a lot of manufacturers are using nickel plated cases for defense/duty ammo, not sure what the reason is though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there anything special about this? I tried looking online but the only thing I could find is that they are Winchester.

View Quote

Avoid them for an AR and they are the cases I most often get stuck in dies.  I hate nickel plated cases for reloading but for SD factory pistol ammo I actually look for it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems that a lot of manufacturers are using nickel plated cases for defense/duty ammo, not sure what the reason is though.
View Quote

Corrosion resistance.  Hornady even offered some of their TAP ammunition in black-nickel plated cases.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Molon nailed it. Plus the harder surface of nickel cases supposedly allows cases to feed from the mag and into the chamber more easily.

One thing- I never trim nickel cases, I feel it gives the nickel a place to start flaking, and I have seen trimmed nickel cases that have flaked. However, do what you want to do. If a nickel case needs trimming I throw it into a bag and sell it at gun shows when I have enough of them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Did/does the military use nickel plated?

I guess what's got wondering about them is the WMA. The other Winchester nickel cases I've used have always said Winchester and not WMA. Are these just old cases?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Good point made about the trimming giving the cases a place to start losing some of the coating. I've trimmed TONS of them and never felt it was an issue, but the brass case mouth is noticeable once trimmed.

I like to save them and convert to 300blk as a way to more easily identify the stuff I've loaded hotter than others. I.e., Barnes tac tx bullets go into the nickel cases and 147/150s go into brass. The projectile is obviously different, but I like being able to tell them apart from across the room.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have nickel cases that I have loaded so many times they are barely able to tell they are nickel anymore. I have never ever had a case peal the nickel away from the case.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have nickel cases that I have loaded so many times they are barely able to tell they are nickel anymore. I have never ever had a case peal the nickel away from the case.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat.
The only difference I've ever noticed between nickel and brass, the nickel doesn't seem to ever need trimming.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did/does the military use nickel plated?

I guess what's got wondering about them is the WMA. The other Winchester nickel cases I've used have always said Winchester and not WMA. Are these just old cases?
View Quote

WMA is Winchester’s Oxford, MS facility.  They make a LOT of stuff that isn’t exactly “military.”  For example, .40 S&W and 9mm “training only” ammunition; this stuff is dyed purple to identify it as not for duty use.  All of it I’ve seen has had a WMA headstamp.  Note that SOME of the .40 training rounds started out as nickel plated, others as plain brass.  The purple dye is a PITA when wet tumbling, because it “does things” to the non-dyed cases in the same load.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Avoid them for an AR and they are the cases I most often get stuck in dies.  I hate nickel plated cases for reloading but for SD factory pistol ammo I actually look for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Ni cases stick in dies unless they are lubed well
I cull them out and don’t use them
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Corrosion resistance.  Hornady even offered some of their TAP ammunition in black-nickel plated cases.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/hornady_black_nickel_cases_002-2479731.jpg

View Quote
interesting , i always thought it was mainly for easy id purpose's

when loading a mag into a gun easy to see if it's brass (training) or nickel (duty)
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've also not experienced any nickle cases flaking... just wearing the nickle off.

I've got a nickle coated Gov Remington 1911 that flaked. Think it might have been caused from Hoppe's #9 getting to the copper coating under the nickle.

Have some 223 nickle plated cases I haven't loaded yet. Got them for something easy to ID with a specific load just for kicks. I was ordering other cases and just added them with free shipping. Not something I would normally look to order.

We were always issued nickle cased ammo for our wheel guns back in the day. Thought it was for corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used Federal nickel plated .223 brass and found it easier to resize than brass. I'm using Imperial Sizing Die Wax, which probably makes the difference.

Trimming is much harder on my carbide blades (Gracey MatchPrep using Bob Jones carbide three-way cutters).

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Electroplated nickel CAN flake, like on pistols.  The process starts with a thin copper plating on the steel, which makes it easier to actually electroplate with nickel.  It’s not trivial to electroplate copper onto steel (it requires a cyanide bath as the electrolyte), but once the copper is bound to the steel, nickel will bind to the copper.  This is the crux of the matter: if there’s a flaw in either the nickel layer or the copper layer, and anything gets to the copper itself, the plating breaks down.  And that flaw could simply be holster wear.

Modern cartridge cases are electroless plated; this is a purely chemical reaction that applies a controllable thickness of a nickel alloy evenly over the entire surface of the part.  It should not be able to flake, since there are no intermediate layers.  It CAN wear through, though.  I have some old cases that have been cleaned so many times that you can kinda tell they were once nickel, but not so much now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I see I should have saved some of those old cases that flaked off at the case mouth. I had problems with handgun and rifle cases.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seen plating come off nickel plated handgun brass.  I shot the 38's till the case split.  
Federal Match Brass used to be all nickel plated stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't really come across many rifle cases that are nickel, but with .357 magnum it's very common.  They will stick as described, but it's a minor issue.  I too have reloaded .357 so many times that the nickel gets cleaned off in the tumbler,  never had any cases that flaked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top