Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2018 12:27:07 PM EDT
Just purchased my first lever action rifle last night how’d I do? Bought it on gun broker have not received it yet. Does anyone have experience with this model? Can’t seem to find any reviews or unboxing videos at all on this model.

44 magnum
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just purchased my first lever action rifle last night how’d I do? Bought it on gun broker have not received it yet. Does anyone have experience with this model?

44 magnum
View Quote
Damn, that's sweet.

A trapper 44 is at the top of my want list.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, that's sweet.

A trapper 44 is at the top of my want list.
View Quote
Nice sounds like it’s a good one! It’s a very low SN within the first 10
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
iv seen a few of the new Winchesters at the gun shop, and they are beautiful. damn sure not cheap though. I REALLY like the safety positions on the new Winchesters, vs the super ugly safeties on the older Winchesters and current marlins.

I will probably be cutting down my marlin 20" .44 mag, to create this. a threaded, compact, suppressor friendly .44 lever action.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
iv seen a few of the new Winchesters at the gun shop, and they are beautiful. damn sure not cheap though. I REALLY like the safety positions on the new Winchesters, vs the super ugly safeties on the older Winchesters and current marlins.

I will probably be cutting down my marlin 20" .44 mag, to create this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92687/marlin-1894-1_jpg-789991.JPG
View Quote
Wow that’s a great looking rifle! Never thought about a suppressor on a lever action but great idea! Too bad I can’t have that in CA
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for some possible info... other Winchester 1892 trapper owners?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a takedown, too.

Nice.  I need one.
View Quote
Found a few out there for sale but not many 2 in 45 Colt and 1 in 357 gun broker
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking at one in 45 colt. Does anyone know what kind of loads these can handle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been looking at one in 45 colt. Does anyone know what kind of loads these can handle.
View Quote
The 45 colt I seen has a SN of 16 nice low number and beautiful wood.

45 colt
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Those are made by Miroku, who made the Browning lever guns as well as Citori and BSS shotguns.  Super nice guns.

I have a recent Winchester 1873 Limited trapper in 357. As soon as I saw it I started figuring out how to pay for it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those are made by Miroku, who made the Browning lever guns as well as Citori and BSS shotguns.  Super nice guns.

I have a recent Winchester 1873 Limited trapper in 357. As soon as I saw it I started figuring out how to pay for it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/BA62AB63-210C-400B-9043-0277228ADC74-682928.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/2ED5C833-718D-407F-B597-0C477A337349-682926.jpg
View Quote
Wow that has got to be one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow that has got to be one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen.
View Quote
Nothing else I have measures up.

I’m hoping to find a 45 Colt 1866 or 1873 too.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
This Browning B92 in 44 Magnum was also made by Miroku.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Another great looking rifle the gold trigger really stands out in a good way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweeeeeeeeet!

I like the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
You'll love it.  I haven't had a Trapper, but I had the 1892 Short Rifle in 44 Magnum.  Awesome rifle.  Excellent quality, superb finish, and very accurate.  You'll love it as the trapper is a nicer variant.

I've had 3 new Winchester (Miroku made) rifles: the 1892, an 1886, and I currently have a 94 Sporter in 30-30 that is dead nuts accurate.  They are, IMO, the finest production lever guns out right now.  The quality blows Henry and Marlin out of the water.  Aside from going custom or one of the super expensive Italian clones, you're not going to outdo a current Winchester lever action.

The only bad thing about them is if you like to hunt they're almost too nice of a gun to take out and bang up in the field.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Another great looking rifle the gold trigger really stands out in a good way.
View Quote
Thanks, this one has a cool story too.  Bought it from an old man at a Salt Lake City gunshow. He was nearly 90 and said it was finally time to move back to the lower 48 after 40+ years in Alaska. He said this rifle sat on pegs above the cabin door and was his primary bear defense at the cabin.  I feel privileged to own it.  It’s got some honest blue wear, but was obviously well cared for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You'll love it.  I haven't had a Trapper, but I had the 1892 Short Rifle in 44 Magnum.  Awesome rifle.  Excellent quality, superb finish, and very accurate.  You'll love it as the trapper is a nicer variant.

I've had 3 new Winchester (Miroku made) rifles: the 1892, an 1886, and I currently have a 94 Sporter in 30-30 that is dead nuts accurate.  They are, IMO, the finest production lever guns out right now.  The quality blows Henry and Marlin out of the water.  Aside from going custom or one of the super expensive Italian clones, you're not going to outdo a current Winchester lever action.

The only bad thing about them is if you like to hunt they're almost too nice of a gun to take out and bang up in the field.
View Quote
Thanks for the great information very glad to hear that. I’m not looking to take it hunting, what I was looking for was something nice I could pass down someday. I come from very little and seeing all the cool stuff AR15.com members inherited I wanted something in my family that could be passed down through generations to come.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks, this one has a cool story too.  Bought it from an old man at a Salt Lake City gunshow. He was nearly 90 and said it was finally time to move back to the lower 48 after 40+ years in Alaska. He said this rifle sat on pegs above the cabin door and was his primary bear defense at the cabin.  I feel privileged to own it.  It’s got some honest blue wear, but was obviously well cared for.
View Quote
Wow that is great still looks relatively new. Would have never guessed it more than likely took some grizzlies out and who knows what else!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow that is great still looks relatively new. Would have never guessed it more than likely took some grizzlies out and who knows what else!
View Quote
The B92s were made in the mid 1980s.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
They made those a few years ago in 45 Colt, 44 Mag., and .357 Mag.  They were blued.  The new ones have the case colored receivers and look great.
I wish they had made them w/the straight stock and round barrel to make them lighter in takedown, but they just made fixed barreled ones that way.  Keep oil on the connection points, where the two pieces meet together, as that part is "in the white" (unblued) I believe, so it doesn't rust there.
I suggest one of the Skinner scabbards http://www.skinnersights.com/scabbards_20.html; they have two, The "flat takedown" case, and the "folding takedown" case, which allows you to have a pouch for a 50rd box of ammo.  I have the first case and it's great for the takedown Winchesters.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a Winchester/Miroku 92 Trapper (not a takedown) in .45 Colt, very handy little levergun. I hate the factory front sight but that is an easy swap.

Quoted:
View Quote
The Winchester 92 is the strongest pistol caliber lever gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They made those a few years ago in 45 Colt, 44 Mag., and .357 Mag.  They were blued.  The new ones have the case colored receivers and look great.
I wish they had made them w/the straight stock and round barrel to make them lighter in takedown, but they just made fixed barreled ones that way.  Keep oil on the connection points, where the two pieces meet together, as that part is "in the white" (unblued) I believe, so it doesn't rust there.
I suggest one of the Skinner scabbards http://www.skinnersights.com/scabbards_20.html; they have two, The "flat takedown" case, and the "folding takedown" case, which allows you to have a pouch for a 50rd box of ammo.  I have the first case and it's great for the takedown Winchesters.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply those scabbards look great! I was thinking of buying or building a wall mounted display case for it as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got a Winchester/Miroku 92 Trapper (not a takedown) in .45 Colt, very handy little levergun. I hate the factory front sight but that is an easy swap.

The Winchester 92 is the strongest pistol caliber lever gun.
View Quote
Can’t wait to see it it arrives at my FFL on Wednesday unfortunately the Navy will have me on the other side of the country for a few weeks beginning this weekend ...
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just purchased my first lever action rifle last night how'd I do? Bought it on gun broker have not received it yet. Does anyone have experience with this model? Can't seem to find any reviews or unboxing videos at all on this model.

44 magnum https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/476203/1AFCD35C-2BFF-43BD-AAF4-CE0F59B6A688-790299.jpg
View Quote
I bought one too OP. Winchester did a 2010 shot show special as well. I have one of the 357 mag versions from that year. Blued though. And the wood isn't quite as sexy.

As soon as I saw the 2018 44 mag I picked that up as well. Pricey but beautiful rifles.

Also have a 1999 built takedown 1886 in 44/70 at Turnbull. Supposedly being finished up right now. Had them chop the barrel from 26" to 20", color case harden and remove the tang safety. Next are both 1892 trapper takedowns.

Of course right after I bought it and sent it in, Winchester released a limited run of exactly that. 20" 1886 takedowns. Oh well.

Now I want one of those 1873 trappers. And an 1886 saddle ring. And a 20" 1892 44mag carbine...
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I bought one too OP. Winchester did a 2010 shot show special as well. I have one of the 357 mag versions from that year. Blued though. And the wood isn't quite as sexy.

As soon as I saw the 2018 44 mag I picked that up as well. Pricey but beautiful rifles.

Also have a 1999 built takedown 1886 in 44/70 at Turnbull. Supposedly being finished up right now. Had them chop the barrel from 26" to 20", color case harden and remove the tang safety. Next are both 1892 trapper takedowns.

Of course right after I bought it and sent it in, Winchester released a limited run of exactly that. 20" 1886 takedowns. Oh well.

Now I want one of those 1873 trappers. And an 1886 saddle ring. And a 20" 1892 44mag carbine...
View Quote
@binthere

Nice! How do you like the 2018? Have you received it yet? How nice is it? Worth the extra price?

By the way you gotta share some pictures of those lever guns they sound amazing! Must see!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nice! How do you like the 2018? Have you received it yet? How nice is it? Worth the extra price?

By the way you gotta share some pictures of those lever guns they sound amazing! Must see!
View Quote
The 2018 is absolutely beautiful. The wood is amazing. Haven't shot it yet though. To me the price is totally worth it. I've pretty much sold off all of my cheaper guns and have been slowly replacing them with fewer, but better quality.

Not to knock the Rossi crowd or anything but these miroku winchesters really do it for me in a way that the others don't.

I could probably post a couple pics of the .357 but I'd have to get home to my iPad for that. Don't really have any pics of the 1886 or the new 44 mag 1892. Sorry. It's boxed up and I'm going to send it out soon to Turnbull.

Then I'm heading overseas again and won't be back until next fall. Once they are all back in my hands I'll probably do a thread here to show them off.

I'm hoping I'll get that 1886 back before I leave though. Sent it to them last March. Still waiting. Can't wait to see it myself. Then I'll have to finally go on that caribou hunt...

Edit for my original post. 45/70. Not 44/70.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The 2018 is absolutely beautiful. The wood is amazing. Haven't shot it yet though. To me the price is totally worth it. I've pretty much sold off all of my cheaper guns and have been slowly replacing them with fewer, but better quality.

Not to knock the Rossi crowd or anything but these miroku winchesters really do it for me in a way that the others don't.

I could probably post a couple pics of the .357 but I'd have to get home to my iPad for that. Don't really have any pics of the 1886 or the new 44 mag 1892. Sorry. It's boxed up and I'm going to send it out soon to Turnbull.

Then I'm heading overseas again and won't be back until next fall. Once they are all back in my hands I'll probably do a thread here to show them off.

I'm hoping I'll get that 1886 back before I leave though. Sent it to them last March. Still waiting. Can't wait to see it myself. Then I'll have to finally go on that caribou hunt...

Edit for my original post. 45/70. Not 44/70.
View Quote
That’s great so what will Turnbull be doing to the 1892? Mine arrives at FFL tomorrow unfortunately I won’t see it for another month l, Navy has me across the country for the month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s great so what will Turnbull be doing to the 1892? Mine arrives at FFL tomorrow unfortunately I won’t see it for another month l, Navy has me across the country for the month.
View Quote
I'll have them get rid of the tang safeties and return to original spec half cock. That requires rewelding the the two piece firing pin back into a single piece and some other slight mods.

Then the receiver needs to be refinished. So they'll re-color case harden the receiver and put a clear cerakote on to protect it.

I'm kinda torn if I'll have them reblue the 357 or not. It does look good blued. And it is a good way to tell it apart from the 44. But I'm not sure yet.

Honestly though, none of this is really required. The tang safety isn't that big of a deal. I'm just picky.

You made a great purchase. You'll be happy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'll have them get rid of the tang safeties and return to original spec half cock. That requires rewelding the the two piece firing pin back into a single piece and some other slight mods.

Then the receiver needs to be refinished. So they'll re-color case harden the receiver and put a clear cerakote on to protect it.

I'm kinda torn if I'll have them reblue the 357 or not. It does look good blued. And it is a good way to tell it apart from the 44. But I'm not sure yet.

Honestly though, none of this is really required. The tang safety isn't that big of a deal. I'm just picky.

You made a great purchase. You'll be happy.
View Quote
Thanks very excited this is my first non modern firearm. But I’m absolutely hooked on lever action rifles now. I really want to find a late 1800’s early 1900’s piece next.

Link to gun broker actual rifle I purchased.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks very excited this is my first non modern firearm. But I’m absolutely hooked on lever action rifles now. I really want to find a late 1800’s early 1900’s piece next.

Link to gun broker actual rifle I purchased.
View Quote
Nice. I got one of the first ones released and paid a couple hundred more than that. Thought I'd almost missed out on them. I was wrong.

I had just spent two years searching for one of the 2010 shot show special 44 mag takedowns and could only find the 357.

Paid way too much for that rifle. Then I find out they were doing another special run for 2018. Had I only waited a few months. Story of my life.

Seems they released these new ones by caliber. First 44 then 357. I'm expecting 45 colt and 44/40 next.

But I can tell you that a couple years from now these rifles will be unavailable anywhere and will only go up in price if you can find someone willing to sell. If the 2010 rifles are any example. That is, in .357 and 44 mag. The other calibers can be found.

I'll see if I can get you some pics of my 1892's in the next couple days.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 EDT
[#33]
I have owned a few of the "newer" winchesters, they are beautiful but I just couldn't handle the crossbolt safeties, I wound up paying too much to have the tang safeties welded. Now I stick to the older ones but that 92 is right sexy
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Thats a nice rifle!

92 takedown is a rifle I've always wanted.

Winchester taste but a Rossi wallet
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats, that is a pretty gun.  I have a 30-30 Trapper with the tang safety and love to shoot it.  Looking forward to more photos.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thats a nice rifle!

92 takedown is a rifle I've always wanted.

Winchester taste but a Rossi wallet
View Quote
Quoted:
Congrats, that is a pretty gun.  I have a 30-30 Trapper with the tang safety and love to shoot it.  Looking forward to more photos.
View Quote
Thanks, looking forward to posting some pictures. I’m tempted to start a “post your Miroku rifle pictures” thread, not finding many pictures out there besides factory pictures.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks, looking forward to posting some pictures. I’m tempted to start a “post your Miroku rifle pictures” thread, not finding many pictures out there besides factory pictures.
View Quote
Awww man, I'm a huge fan of Miroku guns. You start a thread and I'll have to dig all 6 of them out to take pictures, the ones I have are getting overused.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats a great looking rifle!

I'm OK with the tang safety. It appears functional and you don't have to use it if you don't want. At least it's not some after thought like the Rossi or the Uber ugly Winchester crossbolt. The Marlin crossbolt isn't terrible, but the Winchester Wart!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Awww man, I'm a huge fan of Miroku guns. You start a thread and I'll have to dig all 6 of them out to take pictures, the ones I have are getting overused.
View Quote
Ok sounds like a plan I don’t have one yet but would love to see some Mirokus!

@HawkCreek your up!
Miroku picture thread!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Picked up a pair for my boys in 357 mag. They will be taught on them and used hunting. Now I'm trying to figure out what matching revolvers to pair with them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Great looking rifle.

It appears they've dried up though.  I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Great looking rifle.

It appears they've dried up though.  I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere.
View Quote
Check gunbroker for the most selection. Buds had a selection a few months back also, not sure about now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/BA62AB63-210C-400B-9043-0277228ADC74-682928.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/2ED5C833-718D-407F-B597-0C477A337349-682926.jpg
View Quote
That is pure sex!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top