Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2020 12:08:35 PM EDT
Bought a Czechpoint receiver and a Vz 61 parts kit from Recon Ord.

Receiver was nice (obviously new). I did have trouble with the pin hole for the ejector retaining pin. It was burred and I initially got the pin and spring stuck down in the hole

The kit was a pretty big disappointment. Recon Ord's gun broker ad listed these as beautiful condition. Everything looked good except for the upper receiver and barrel, which are in bad shape.
The barrel shows wrench/vise marks and the  upper receiver has grind marks and a dent on the right side.

That said, everything appears functional. Definitely wouldn't return it, I just don't think it was worth the extra $100 premium compared to others available.  

I'll need to source a takedown pin as well, the one I received was not grooved for the detent and the detent/spring wouldn't fit the hole in the upper. I have no idea.
Anyone know if there are different types of takedown pins? Or a source for some?

Pics of the complete build.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Barrel and grind marks

Attachment Attached File

Takedown pin
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That take down pin doesn't look correct. It should have a groove and a flat head, not a domed head.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By timkel:
That take down pin doesn't look correct. It should have a groove and a flat head, not a domed head.

https://i.postimg.cc/XvTYk23R/Skorp203.jpg
View Quote

I was slowly coming to the same conclusion. Numrich lists that pint as the rate reducing lever pin.
I called Recon and left a voicemail to see if he can send the pin/detent/spring.

I detent and spring I was messing with was for the bolt stop in the rate reducing assembly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to build?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hitman9921:
Hard to build?
View Quote

Easy.
Just don't forget it has to be on SAFE before you try to take it down.
Or, vice versa. Never can remember which position locks it up tight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hitman9921:
Hard to build?
View Quote

It took me about an hour. That's counting the 30min of getting the ejector retaining pin un-stuck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yikes. That's really rough in comparison to the kits I bought when he first offered this batch for sale. I wonder if he's updated the pictures or descriptions since he first listed them years back.

Originally Posted By sparky923:

Easy.
Just don't forget it has to be on SAFE before you try to take it down.
Or, vice versa. Never can remember which position locks it up tight. 
View Quote

Safe extends the bolt hold open/closed. I'm not sure what to call that dual-purpose part but with the safety engaged the bolt isn't moving.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the look of these guns, there is nothing like them. what did you use for the trigger guard rivet?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By porkchop8u:
I love the look of these guns, there is nothing like them. what did you use for the trigger guard rivet?
View Quote

@porkchop8u

The kit from Recon came with the correct rivet. Most kits don't, from what I've read.

It squashed real nice with a basic flat punch. For something I was mildly worried about, the rivet was no problem.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
So Recon hasn't returned my calls for a week.
Does anybody know of a source for the takedown pin, detent, and spring?

I have a bolt holding it together right now

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the pin anyway.

They're currently OOS on the plunger and spring.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Here's the pin anyway.

They're currently OOS on the plunger and spring.
View Quote

Thanks. I could make a plunger with no issue, and I have shitloads of generic compression springs.

I contacted the guy that monitors GunBroker for Recon and he said he'd have the owner call me. If I don't here back tomorrow, I'm gonna order that pin from Czechpoint.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Man that's just odd. I hope Jerry is okay. He's a good guy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Man that's just odd. I hope Jerry is okay. He's a good guy.
View Quote

All my interactions with him have been positive.

The poor condition of the kit is very strange considering the high price, but I could have gotten something that was leftovers from other kits.

Not calling me back is definitely out of character for him.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:30:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm debating buying the receiver and kit for a weekend project or just buying the completed gun from them. I also have no plans to sbr it soon so not sure if its even worth purchasing... stock just makes that's gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go for the kit. Building it is fun.

Alternatively just buy a complete pistol from Czechpoint. Only way to have it factory threaded.

Really though - once you play with it a while you'll want to SBR it for that stock goodness.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've thought about building a second unthreaded one.  I love how smooth they shoot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zutmeloda2003:
I'm debating buying the receiver and kit for a weekend project or just buying the completed gun from them. I also have no plans to sbr it soon so not sure if its even worth purchasing... stock just makes that's gun.
View Quote

Building it is half the fun. It helps you understand function of the firearm better as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Recon got back to me today. My missing parts will be sent soon.

I still need to get ammo for this little beast
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]
UPDATE

Recon Ord. delivers.

Replacement parts have arrived and the build is finally complete.

After talking with Recon and identifying what I needed, Jerry got my parts out ASAP at no cost to me. We discussed the condition of the kit and he wanted to replace the upper for me, but I'm ok with it as is, and all the parts other than the upper were brand new.

I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading this understands that Recon Ord/Jerry are good to go and live up to their great reputation.
Jerry is out there doing all the hard work, so we can have nice things like this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit: Some Skorpion/Scorpion pron.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Still need to put in rivet. Im also thinking about painting the receiver to better match the parts kit. Not sure if its worth the hassle but it will bug me if i dont. Easy build though fun to assemble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uDtRsmp5XrUgEnZu7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top