Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/6/2020 7:57:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
@Hansohnbrothers, since you're on the front lines, what are your thoughts on whether or not this passes?

And if it does pass, will yall still be able to stay in VA and sell suppressors to people in free states?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag
This is fucking depressing
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
We VA residents are working to fight it.  The prevailing prediction is that it stands good odds of passing in the house but likely die in the Senate.  At least one Democratic Senator has gone on record to state he won't vote for either of the AWBs filed this session.  But he's a politician, and we all know the best way to tell if a politician is lying . . .

The personal impact to me just on silencers is that I own 9 of them, all purchased through Silencer Shop.  The most recent purchase is still pending so I'm not sure what will happen to that one.  Guess I'd be out at least a tax stamp . . .

The others will be safely stored out of state.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I pray the Virginia congress actually pays attention to their constituents.  Good luck Virginia patriots.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We don't normally post political things, but this is very important to our community and we need everyone's help.

The bill, as currently drafted, includes an outright ban on suppressors in Virginia, effective January 1, 2021, with no grandfather provision for currently possessed suppressors. It will also affect ownership of “assault firearms” and standard capacity magazines.

We strongly urge all Virginians to contact their representatives from the ASA's website immediately! Even if you aren't in Virginia, please help us spread the word and tell as many people as possible!

The hearing is at 8 AM EST 2/7 (tomorrow). If you are in the area, please show up in person.

Contact information for the Virginia House Public Safety Committee can be found here on the ASA's website: https://americansuppressorassociation.com/virginia-suppressor-ban-hearing-tomorrow/
View Quote
Word is they updated the bill as follows:

Changed mag ban from 10+ to 12+ Capacity.  Anything 12+ must be moved out of state or surrendered to the police.  Any mags with removable end plates that could be modified to accept more than 12 rounds (meaning almost all) is also banned.

They will no longer require registration of “assault weapons”.  But the rules on where you can have them I mentioned in another thread are still on... ie, needing property owner’s permission, etc.  Transport in locked case unloaded...

Threaded barrels on pistols are still banned outright, as are silencers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
That's fucking crazy. I wish there was something we could all do to help. Lets just pray the Senate does the sensible thing and trashes it

If not come and take them is appropriate here...Sadly were going to be seeing more and more of this type of thing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are hard questions to answer.  There is a good chance it will pass the House, the Senate is the last stop to kill it and there is a possibility to do so there.  As for us continuing to sell, the bill isn't very clear on that part.  We are a manufacturer so we may still be able to sell cans out of state depending on the manufacturer exemption interpretation.  There are also options within our distribution chain that we are considering.  Worst case scenario, we will continue to sell accessories at a minimum. Lots of maybes I know.  We can't leave the Commonwealth for another 8 years minimum due to other obligations.

Sucks regardless.  
View Quote
Good luck. If you need help starting a new branch in the deeply 2A friendly state of Wyoming, I'm your man
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course the government has exempted itself from any of these prohibitions...

Good luck Virginians - give them hell.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those are hard questions to answer.  There is a good chance it will pass the House, the Senate is the last stop to kill it and there is a possibility to do so there.  As for us continuing to sell, the bill isn't very clear on that part.  We are a manufacturer so we may still be able to sell cans out of state depending on the manufacturer exemption interpretation.  There are also options within our distribution chain that we are considering.  Worst case scenario, we will continue to sell accessories at a minimum. Lots of maybes I know.  We can't leave the Commonwealth for another 8 years minimum due to other obligations.

Sucks regardless.  
View Quote
Yes it does suck, especially when it messes with a man's livelihood too.

I've had nothing but good experiences purchasing from yall, and fully expect to be purchasing more suppressors from you in the coming years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Word is they updated the bill as follows:

Changed mag ban from 10+ to 12+ Capacity.  Anything 12+ must be moved out of state or surrendered to the police. Any mags with removable end plates that could be modified to accept more than 12 rounds (meaning almost all) is also banned.

They will no longer require registration of “assault weapons”.  But the rules on where you can have them I mentioned in another thread are still on... ie, needing property owner’s permission, etc.  Transport in locked case unloaded...

Threaded barrels on pistols are still banned outright, as are silencers.
View Quote
The part I highlighted in red is just over the top.  I can't believe they actually think that is a fantastic idea.   What the !@#$......  Why even bother upping the ban from 10 rounds to 12 when your practically cutting off probably two thirds of the magazines out there in common usage with the removable floor plate clause? Goddamn I hope y'all can stop this nonsense bullshit your being subjected to,  Good luck with the fight.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Surrender these items to the police? Hahahaha!!!! What a fucking joke!!!! Try to enforce that. I fucking dare you!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We don't normally post political things, but this is very important to our community and we need everyone's help.

The bill, as currently drafted, includes an outright ban on suppressors in Virginia, effective January 1, 2021, with no grandfather provision for currently possessed suppressors. It will also affect ownership of “assault firearms” and standard capacity magazines.

We strongly urge all Virginians to contact their representatives from the ASA's website immediately! Even if you aren't in Virginia, please help us spread the word and tell as many people as possible!

The hearing is at 8 AM EST 2/7 (tomorrow). If you are in the area, please show up in person.

Contact information for the Virginia House Public Safety Committee can be found here on the ASA's website: https://americansuppressorassociation.com/virginia-suppressor-ban-hearing-tomorrow/
View Quote
Jesus christ

northam bloomberg and the chronies cant take a hint after the 1/20/2020 rally

Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of course the government has exempted itself from any of these prohibitions...

Good luck Virginians - give them hell.
View Quote
I hope ammo and firearm manufacturers and vendors just stop selling to virgnia if these laws pass

no ammo

no firearms to state or dept's that are in not in 2nd amendment santuarys

no class 3 etc..........

example

va state police or arlington county police call and order some m4's or mags or suppressors

vendor tells them its there policy not to sell to departments that infringe on rights ( pound sand )
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I pray the Virginia congress actually pays attention to their constituents.  Good luck Virginia patriots.
View Quote
It's kind of pathetic the way we all gun owners keep begging for leniency instead of refusing to comply.  But we're so disorganized & we don't have anywhere near the public (& legal) sympathy, nor a representative figurehead like the civil rights movement had.

I'm not sure what it would take to tip the balance in our favor.  It's just sad that we're all so timid with our reps.  Doesn't appear that they're too concerned about us.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#16]
This is such fing bullshit.

That’s all I’ve got.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Surrender these items to the police? Hahahaha!!!! What a fucking joke!!!! Try to enforce that. I fucking dare you!!!!
View Quote
The registered NFA stuff is problematic.  Which is a lesson for registering semi “assault weapons” everywhere.

I suppose reconfigurable SBRs could be claimed they were modified to Title 1 and removed from the state. I’d also suppose some Form 1 builders of both SBRs and suppressors might claim they haven’t yet built items.  NFA items held in trusts give some flexability with out of state trustees.

I can see 10 round compliant magazines getting scooped up if this passes.

I hope they recognize that criminalizing your political opposition isn’t a good long term strategy for peaceable coexistence.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]
The fact that every single ban or restriction type bill exempts the police and government really pisses me off.

SCOTUS ruled the police have no liability if they fail to stop violence against a citizen, and no responsibility to even do so!  So why do they get better arms?  Are their lives more important?  Apparently the gov thinks so!

Most police in my opinion are good people and would try to help a person in danger, but the reality is police usually arrive when the shooting is over and it is time to roll out the body bags and take witness statements.

Regular citizens are the ones on the front lines, defending themselves against violent criminals, often all by themselves, and thus need the best weapons we can build, buy or import!

We need to hammer politicians over this!  Demand they answer the above questions.  Get them on video stammering, trying to spin it to make it look good...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The registered NFA stuff is problematic.  Which is a lesson for registering semi “assault weapons” everywhere.

I suppose reconfigurable SBRs could be claimed they were modified to Title 1 and removed from the state. I’d also suppose some Form 1 builders of both SBRs and suppressors might claim they haven’t yet built items.  NFA items held in trusts give some flexability with out of state trustees.

I can see 10 round compliant magazines getting scooped up if this passes.

I hope they recognize that criminalizing your political opposition isn’t a good long term strategy for peaceable coexistence.
View Quote
I’m not talking about them knowing what we have, I’m talking about them actually trying to confiscate it. I’m not trying to sound like some kind of internet toughguy, but that would be unprecedented. The amount of effort on their part would be overwhelming. And honestly they’d need the National Guard to come along to help them enforce that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hope ammo and firearm manufacturers and vendors just stop selling to virgnia if these laws pass

no ammo

no firearms to state or dept's that are in not in 2nd amendment santuarys

no class 3 etc..........

example

va state police or arlington county police call and order some m4's or mags or suppressors

vendor tells them its there policy not to sell to departments that infringe on rights ( pound sand )
View Quote
This would be the very best possible reaction from the 2A community.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Hansohnbrothers, since you're on the front lines, what are your thoughts on whether or not this passes?

And if it does pass, will yall still be able to stay in VA and sell suppressors to people in free states?
View Quote
That $200 stamp is out the window with no compensation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#24]
They passed it...
So the idiots want to start a war with the “commoners”...
This comment from someone earlier sums it up nicely...

Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m not talking about them knowing what we have, I’m talking about them actually trying to confiscate it. I’m not trying to sound like some kind of internet toughguy, but that would be unprecedented. The amount of effort on their part would be overwhelming. And honestly they’d need the National Guard to come along to help them enforce that.
View Quote
Yeah, that’s a problem of scale for the gun prohibitionists. As with alcohol and drugs, it’s easy to predict they won’t be effective in the aggregate. But for the individual at risk the weight of prosecution can be pressing.  So individual coping strategies will be created.  Massive civil disobedience is the best strategy. The police who enforce this need to be shunned, voted out of office, made social pariahs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Y'all have lots of lakes and boats down in Virginia right?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Ridiculous notion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The silencer section was modified.

18.2-308.11. Import, sale, transfer, etc., of silencers; penalty.A. For purposes of this section, "silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a firearm, including any part or combination of parts designed or intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device.
B. It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, or purchase a silencer, provided that a person may transfer a silencer in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.
View Quote
So they’re grandfathered in?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

18.2-308.11. Import, sale, transfer, etc., of silencers; penalty.A. For purposes of this section, "silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a firearm, including any part or combination of parts designed or intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device.
B. It is unlawful for any person to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, or purchase a silencer, provided that a person may transfer a silencer in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.
View Quote
I don’t get it
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#31]
VIrginia Capitol and State Police Eject Citizens from House Committee after assault weapon ban vote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don’t get it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t get it
Was trying to figure that out as well.... It's illegal to import, sell, transfer, manufacture or purchase, except that you can transfer (but apparently not any of the other activities) in accordance with the NFA.... If no one can purchase or sell, how can anyone transfer?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
You can keep silencers you have or transfer them according to federal law.  You cannot get more, or manufacture more.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's not how I read it. All legal as long as NFA is followed.
View Quote
What do you read? I see grandfathered in...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can keep silencers you have or transfer them according to federal law.  You cannot get more, or manufacture more.
Very curious on this. Just wondering if i need ti do 10 form 1s now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#37]
An NFA sale has long been commonly known as a "transfer".  Hopefully that's the way every dealer looks at it and make them (the anti-gunners) explain to a jury how following the NFA transfer process doesn't fall under the NFA transfer exception.

I'm with hansohnbros, this section is a null law that just means they can charge you with a state crime now if you have an unregistered suppressor.  They can now tell the rabid anti-gun zealot voters "we made silencers illegal!  Now you won't get shot by ninja assassins!"

Although I guess it could have the net effect of making form 1 builds illegal, since that's not a transfer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't see anything about grandfathering.

View Quote
I hope I am wrong but the way that reads to me is, you can keep what you have or you can transfer it per NFA process but no buying. selling or importing of anything new?

I don't understand why they even care about suppressors? Its fucking stupid that they are regulated at all
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I hope I am wrong but the way that reads to me is, you can keep what you have or you can transfer it per NFA process but no buying. selling or importing of anything new?

I don't understand why they even care about suppressors? Its fucking stupid that they are regulated at all
View Quote
That’s how I read it too.

Why? Not sure, was it Virginia that had a shooting involving a silencer? Maybe I remember wrong. There’s not a constitutional/valid reason anyway.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because it’s a low hanging fruit and another inch toward their goal of banning everything.  Regardless of whether they truly believe the Hollywood quiet BS or not, they want it all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This makes it unlawful to "import, sell, transfer, manufacture, or purchase a silencer", outside of the NFA process.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not sure, was it Virginia that had a shooting involving a silencer?
View Quote
Not that I recall or heard about? The only shooting in recent memory that I know about that involved a suppressor was in Texas and the fact that the shooter had a suppressor had no real bearing on what transpired.

All this shows is how misinformed and ignorant the anti's are when it comes to anything firearm related. It looks scary so it must be scary and all scary things need to be banned regardless of facts, logic or common sense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not that I recall or heard about? The only shooting in recent memory that I know about that involved a suppressor was in Texas and the fact that the shooter had a suppressor had no real bearing on what transpired.

All this shows is how misinformed and ignorant the anti's are when it comes to anything firearm related. It looks scary so it must be scary and all scary things need to be banned regardless of facts, logic or common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure, was it Virginia that had a shooting involving a silencer?

It was the shooting in VA Beach last year.  Guy had two.45s, one with a suppressor.  People “claimed” that because of the suppressor, they either couldn’t hear the shots or failed to identify them as gunshots, allowing him to shoot more people and preventing the LE who responded from finding him quicker.  It’s BS, but that’s the story they told.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This makes it unlawful to "import, sell, transfer, manufacture, or purchase a silencer", outside of the NFA process.
View Quote
Could be but I doubt it because if in fact that is what they are saying, why write a new law to that doesn't add anything to the current federal law?

Either way, how does such a poorly written law even make it past committee? Even if I was all for banning suppressors I would reject this because of how poorly its written.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It was the shooting in VA Beach last year.  Guy had two.45s, one with a suppressor.  People “claimed” that because of the suppressor, they either couldn’t hear the shots or failed to identify them as gunshots, allowing him to shoot more people and preventing the LE who responded from finding him quicker.  It’s BS, but that’s the story they told.
View Quote
I didn't know about that shooting but the part I highlighted is BS. I just had to watch an "Active Shooter" training video for work and it stated that in ALL active shooter cases there are people who fail to recognize gunshots for what they are because their only "experience" hearing gunshots is from movies and movies do not accurately represent what gun shots actually sound like.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top