Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2018 10:53:26 PM EDT
I want to modify a couple of burst groups to enable select fire with an RLL. I’ve found a lot of information online on how to do it but surprisingly haven’t found a video of someone making the modifications. Is anyone aware of a video that shows this being done?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to modify a couple of burst groups to enable select fire with an RLL. I’ve found a lot of information online on how to do it but surprisingly haven’t found a video of someone making the modifications. Is anyone aware of a video that shows this being done?
View Quote
That'd be a longish video to simply show a few quick alterations with a grinder or dremel or other tool. Have you done a picture search simply to see the changes?

I just did s google image search and the very first image when searching for "rll burst kit modifications" shows side by side pictures of the alterations made to a standard burst fcg.

I'm not aware of any videos showing it being done, but it's not hard and I'd be willing to help you via email or pm if you can't figure it out from the side by side pictures.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That'd be a longish video to simply show a few quick alterations with a grinder or dremel or other tool. Have you done a picture search simply to see the changes?

I just did s google image search and the very first image when searching for "rll burst kit modifications" shows side by side pictures of the alterations made to a standard burst fcg.

I'm not aware of any videos showing it being done, but it's not hard and I'd be willing to help you via email or pm if you can't figure it out from the side by side pictures.
View Quote
Hey Circuits thanks for the reply. I’ve searched the net and seen pictures showing modified and unmodified parts side by side. I think I have an idea of what to do but am not very handy, so thought over the years someone may have videoed the process or key parts of it. I will send you an email if you don’t mind. I really appreciate your offer to help!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this what you were looking for in a previous post of mine?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Modified_Semi_Disconnector_for_Select_Fire_w_RLL/23-447954/#i4460794
View Quote
Hello esox. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for having made this. It is very helpful!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys question.... can I use a semi auto hammer for this or do I need to use the burst hammer?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guys question.... can I use a semi auto hammer for this or do I need to use the burst hammer?
View Quote
If you have an unaltered burst hammer, you'll likely have to grind the auto sear tab off the top end, otherwise it can hit the body of the link during normal operation.

If you have an earlier semi hammer, it may have the narrow original/A1-style disconnector ledge, which may or may not properly engage the burst disconnector (which functions as your surrogate auto sear in this configuration). Best hammer for LL select-fire is a burst hammer with the tab ground off, or semi hammer based upon the wide-disconnector forging.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never had a problem with any semi hammers that I have used.  I think most milspec-style hammers nowadays seem to be wide enough.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Esox and Circuits, thanks so much for your feedback. So how can I tell if the semi hammer will work? Should I throw the link in and hand cycle the action to see if the semi and auto positions work?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Esox and Circuits, thanks so much for your feedback. So how can I tell if the semi hammer will work? Should I throw the link in and hand cycle the action to see if the semi and auto positions work?
View Quote
Just look at the disconnector ledge. If it's wide enough to grab two disconnectors it'll be fine, if it's too narrow you may want to look for a different hammer, or get a burst hammer and modify it yourself.

Assembling it and function testing will also let you know.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok thank you very much. You both have been a huge help!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Guys thanks again. So far things are coming together pretty nicely. I got the 3rd burst parts modified and into the lower. Granted I've only cycled it by hand but it seems to work just fine with the semi hammer. The last thing for me to do is clearance the rear lug on the upper. Do I use a file for this? If so is there a particular type that will work best? I would like to do this without making the lug look like it's been butchered!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have any gunsmiths with machine shops to shave it off?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have any gunsmiths with machine shops to shave it off?
View Quote
Not off hand although there is probably one in the area, just not sure of who/where. One gunsmith told me to just use a file but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it. I don't want to do it and have it look half ass.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Aluminum is relatively soft. You can do it easily by hand with a standard mill file. You can make it look good if you can keep your strokes even and level.

I'd recommend clamping your upper upside down if you have a clamshell for it, and that will give you a steady level base to work from if you choose to hand file it.

If you've got a steady hand and a good eye you can do it very quickly on a bench grinder, but it'd be easy to accidentally take too much if you're not super steady and careful.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there a real risk with taking too much off? Other than the whole thing I mean
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I did mine about 10 yrs ago with bench grinder.
Just go easy and you should be fine.

Quoted:
Guys thanks again. So far things are coming together pretty nicely. I got the 3rd burst parts modified and into the lower. Granted I've only cycled it by hand but it seems to work just fine with the semi hammer. The last thing for me to do is clearance the rear lug on the upper. Do I use a file for this? If so is there a particular type that will work best? I would like to do this without making the lug look like it's been butchered!
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't bring it to a gunsmith or machine shop...that is way overkill.  A reputable smith or machinist would laugh at you, chop it down, hand it back, and send you on your merry way.  A bad one would charge you for it.

One minute or less carefully with a bench grinder or ten minutes carefully with a hand file is all you need.  All you are doing is removing 0.40" off about half a square inch of aluminum...its easy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Double post. Can’t delete this. Ignore ??
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top