Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2020 8:13:23 PM EDT
Just a quick 5 minute video I did on CLR .22 stainless baffle cleaning for what its worth.
Go easy on me

CLR Stainless Steel Suppressor Baffle Cleaning AAC Element 2
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm gonna try this on my Mask baffles tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm gonna try this on my Mask baffles tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!
View Quote
post the results, i have a dirty mask too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job, OP.

I know CLR and aluminum is a bad mix, but if your can is sealed and has no aluminum parts is there any reason why you shouldn't submerge the entire can into a tube filled with CLR?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good job, OP.

I know CLR and aluminum is a bad mix, but if your can is sealed and has no aluminum parts is there any reason why you shouldn't submerge the entire can into a tube filled with CLR?
View Quote
To protect the exterior finish you can use a rubber cork on one end in order to just pour CLR into it. Ive also used a 3/8" bolt either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 ith an O ring to seal up the threaded end
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To protect the exterior finish you can use a rubber cork on one end in order to just pour CLR into it. Ive also used a 3/8" bolt either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24 ith an O ring to seal up the threaded end
View Quote
That is a good idea.

I may start doing this on my sealed cans as preventative maintenance every 1k rounds or so.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought I read that CLR can hurt stainless cans. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought I read that CLR can hurt stainless cans. Any truth to that?
View Quote
TBAC tech notes recommend against using CLR on their SS baffle stacks. Conversely, AAC has stated that they approve of CLR as an accepted method of cleaning. I’m not a metallurgist so I’m merely trusting in AAC’s documented approval of process since they’ll be the ones to warranty it. I believe TBAC stated in a forum post, I think snipers hide, that CLR compromises the integrity of the SS.
Again, I’m not a metallurgist but can only report on my first hand experience that CLR has had no visible adverse effects on my SS baffles
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I started a thread about using CLR and my ultrasonic back in December here: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?92285-Ultrasonic-cleaning-w-CLR

In desperation, I used it on my anodized aluminum tube and it didn't harm it...yeah I know you shouldn't do that but I was about to do more damage with my screwdriver and sanding drum on my Dremel...

Joe at Curtis Tactical is the one that advised me to use CLR and the Ultrasonic on his 17-4 SS baffles.  He is the manufacturer so I'm going by his advice and it worked awesome for me.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

I assume treat the left over CLR  solution the same as you would with the "dip" and dispose it properly?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

TBAC tech notes recommend against using CLR on their SS baffle stacks. Conversely, AAC has stated that they approve of CLR as an accepted method of cleaning. I’m not a metallurgist so I’m merely trusting in AAC’s documented approval of process since they’ll be the ones to warranty it. I believe TBAC stated in a forum post, I think snipers hide, that CLR compromises the integrity of the SS.
Again, I’m not a metallurgist but can only report on my first hand experience that CLR has had no visible adverse effects on my SS baffles
View Quote
CLR may have changed their formula over the years. What’s currently sold seems to be safe on stainless steels.  It’s possible the legacy formula was harsher.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

CLR may have changed their formula over the years. What’s currently sold seems to be safe on stainless steels.  It’s possible the legacy formula was harsher.
View Quote
I know there is a specific CLR SS cleaner that they sell, but that just could be typical BS marketing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

post the results, i have a dirty mask too.
View Quote
Man this is definitely the method I'll use from now on. Works better than the dip method for me. Soaked baffles for 6 hours in CLR in a glass jar, then took them out and ran them in the ultrasonic cleaner for 15 minutes heated with purple power. The lead and carbon literally wipe off. I had about 1500 rounds on these baffles and it was a bitch to even get them out of the tube. Now they look brand new! Forgot to take before pictures sorry. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Man this is definitely the method I'll use from now on. Works better than the dip method for me. Soaked baffles for 6 hours in CLR in a glass jar, then took them out and ran them in the ultrasonic cleaner for 15 minutes heated with purple power. The lead and carbon literally wipe off. I had about 1500 rounds on these baffles and it was a bitch to even get them out of the tube. Now they look brand new! Forgot to take before pictures sorry. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333203/IMG_20200223_174544506_jpg-1288752.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333203/IMG_20200223_174551057_jpg-1288753.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333203/IMG_20200223_174602821_jpg-1288754.JPG
View Quote
that looks great, time to order some CLR.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks interesting. In the video you mention something about making sure you dispose of the used/waste CLR "properly"

So what exactly is the proper way to dispose of this chemical waste?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top