Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2018 12:58:52 AM EDT
Finally got my hands on Veteran's MFG Level III+ and IIIA+ panels:
https://vetsmfg.com/product-category/armor-plates/
Anyone have any test requests on those two panels? Seems some of these thicker UHMWPE plates are stopping M855A1 (Tactical Scorpion Gear Extreme III+ for example), so i'm going to test M855 and M855A1. Veteran's also claims the III+ plate will stop 338 calibers.  I see they are not NIJ cert'd, and the one thing that concerns me is that the labels state not to expose these to temps over 140F, and I recall the NIJ standards at 190-210F?

EDIT, the TSG plate does indeed have some form of ceramic in it. From TSG
"The silicone Carbide is formed geometrically into the plate , hence our design / process patent. The Reese's peanut butter cup of the armor industry."
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Any chance for M80A1?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any chance for M80A1?
View Quote
Yep, will be testing that as well. I have a feeling it will maintain a ceramic strike face threat :D
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure that the "Tactical Scorpion Gear Extreme III+" is a PE-only plate?

The website states:  "High molecular weight polyethylene/Aramid/Carbide Hybrid"

Silicon carbide, a ceramic.

Also, note the weight.  75 ounces in 10x12" -- that's 4.7 pounds.  Which makes it heavier than many ceramic III+ plates, such as the Velocity Systems API-BZ.

The weight doesn't make sense unless the plate is either 2" thick, or contains a ceramic layer.  It looks to be around 1" thick in the video, so therefore it must be more than just PE-only.

https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-level-iii-extreme-pebody-armor-11x14-plate.html

As for a PE-only plate that will stop M855A1... I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure that the "Tactical Scorpion Gear Extreme III+" is a PE-only plate?

The website states:  "High molecular weight polyethylene/Aramid/Carbide Hybrid"

Silicon carbide, a ceramic.

Also, note the weight.  75 ounces in 10x12" -- that's 4.7 pounds.  Which makes it heavier than many ceramic III+ plates, such as the Velocity Systems API-BZ.

The weight doesn't make sense unless the plate is either 2" thick, or contains a ceramic layer.  It looks to be around 1" thick in the video, so therefore it must be more than just PE-only.

https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-level-iii-extreme-pebody-armor-11x14-plate.html

As for a PE-only plate that will stop M855A1... I'll believe it when I see it.
View Quote
I could have sworn based on the labels from an online test it said PE only. That Vet's MFG plate I tested is pure PE, and weighs 4.4oz. I'll email them and ask :D

Correct it has ceramic in it, but not the strike face it seems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top