Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 3:57:49 PM EDT
This is my first foray into night vision, so pardon the question if it's dumb.  I just got my RNVGs...Gen 3 WP, 24um tubes, should be GTG.  Up close, the detail level is incredible.  I can focus to about 20-30 yards out, but everything beyond that is very blurry.  I can't get a 100 yard target into focus no matter what, and the stars are like blurry orbs.  I have 20/20 vision and I've even tried using the on board illuminator, but it's still blurry.  Is this normal?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you attempted to rotate the frontmost optical element (furthest from your eyes as worn) the "objective lens" to focus it? The lens has some rectangular crenelations around the circumference of the lens to grab.

There are also adjusters for diopter (vision correction) on the "ocular lens assembly" which are the ones closer to your eye.

Just to confirm you're not making a Silly user error. You need to adjust both back and front lenses; back to your eyes (set once and forget), and the front for the scene you're viewing, although in practical use you will mostly set it to long distance (infinity) and just leave it there.

If you cannot adjust the objective lens because it's stuck/won't turn there are several reasons why this could happen mostly having to do with improper assembly but it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
So that front lens DOES spin...

I'm an idiot. Thank you to all who replied..
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

lol.

Try to find some guys local to you that are into NV. That will accelerate your learning more than anything else.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggest in addition to what is written above, the following:

After adjusting the objective lens, and then touching up the eyepiece lens for best sharpness (make a note of the setting), you then turn to something you can read, say a license plate or the bookshelf, and readjust the eyepiece for best readability of the letters (make a note of that setting too if it is different). I mark both settings with a yellow tape dot so I can preset to either, depending on whether I am looking at stars or the real world.
Your eyes have defects that your brain corrects automatically, the night vision screws that up a little, and this method helps alleviate some of that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I got my PVS14 and was disappointed that he mounted over my left eye and posted on here about a new j-arm before I figured out that it released and flipped to the right side.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't feel bad at all, it's a learning process. My buddy that lives out of state that I talked into getting a PVS14 called me right after he got it. He had never looked through any nvd before, and he seemed less enthusiastic about it than I expected, and kept asking me about IR illuminators. Turns out he never took the pin hole objective lens cover off Once we figured this out he was like "Woooooowwwww!" which was more the response I was expecting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top