Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2020 12:36:29 AM EDT
How is it, and how does it compare with the other name brands?

Specifically, I'm looking at this, their Woolshell jacket. Now that I live in Montana, I need to buy some more cold weather gear. I freaking love my TAD Stealth Hoodie, but now they only make them in sizes for guys who don't lift.

I'd look at wearing that Woolshell as a mid layer. I would love to find a decent heavy outdoor parka, especially with a removable goretex shell, but no luck yet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few of their wool base layer shirts and they're awesome.  Soft, comfortable wool and well sewn together.  Fit is decent, I'm thin but the cut is not too tight but not too loose either.

I don't have experience with their mid or outer layers but in general Varusteleka sells quality clothes.  Plus, they're Finnish so they probably know cold weather clothing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, so I got my Woolshell jacket, and I also bought their TST Level 5 Thermal Anorak.

The Woolshell jacket appears very nice, it is thinner than I thought it would be.  It's a similar cut to my favorite TAD Stealth Hoodie, but a little more generous in length and waist.  The wool is very comfortable.  It feels like the same size and weight as a normal cotton sweatshirt.  The sizing is somewhat generous, but it has an athletic cut.  I bought a XXL, I have a big chest and long arms.  It's actually conservative in the arm length, which I am very glad for.  Big fan of this so far.

The Thermal Anorak is a nifty design.  It's a pullover, and it's designed to fit over your plate carrier/chest rig.  Yes.  It's YUUUUGE.  Don't think that you can buy this and wear it around town, unless you want to look like Stay Puft the Marshmallow Man.  It has a panel that can zip down so you can access your rig without removal.  If you approach this as a garment that you can toss on while in a static position or during a security halt, that's what it will excel for.  It feels like my Kifaru Woobie, and just from wearing it in the house, it is very warm.  It will squeeze down to about the size of a football, but you'd probably want to dedicate a pouch or compression sack just for this.  I'm pretty happy with this purchase, but time will tell.

Best part-not made in CHY-na.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the update.  I've really been wanting to get some of their wool stuff, but sizing always stops me.  Too expensive to get the wrong size.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 5'11", a (mostly) muscular (cough) 255 (cough), though I seriously don't look like it (I am drought and famine resistant at the present moment in time).  6'3" armspan.  Big chest and lats mean that I can't wear skinny guy non-lifting cardiobro stuff.  I got the XXL in both.  I probably could have gotten away with an XL, especially in the anorak, but I am happy with what I chose.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really liking the looks of that wool shirt.  I'm also ape-armed, about a 6'1 wing span and 5'9" tall, so I usually get large-tall and have a mile of it hanging below my waist so it fits in the arms.  I also lift (or used to) so my back is wide and my belly isn't huge, so I'll also probably get a size XL to it's not too tight.

finding something with pit-zips and well laid out pockets and seams is tough, this looks perfect.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
@SCW

Unlike many products, this actually seems like they took an athletic cut and kept it that way through the X-sizes. It is still big enough to not feel skin tight, but also not too loose and floppy.

It does drive me nuts that the zipper is on a different side. That's really why Europe sucks.

I would describe the XXL as a "relaxed athletic fit" on me. The hood is gigantic. It's meant to be able to go over a helmet. It certainly could. It is hard to wear without one unless you're wearing a ball cap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top