Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2020 1:00:52 PM EDT
I haven't seen one for sale in a while so I'm having trouble determining a good selling price in the current market.  Current owner wants the moon for it, so I'm trying to find a reasonable price to offer.

It's a M16A1, in about 80% condition.  Works great, has some scuffs and scratches.

Anyone have any experience with this version?

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure it’s not a re-weld
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking an NFA registered full auto M16?  If so I'd recommend getting on Sturmgewehr.com and asking around,

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it is on a form 4.

How to tell if it is a re-weld?

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
X-Ray it
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The RR market seemed weak about a year or so ago. I saw a couple colts in the low-20’s.  unless there’s something special about Hydramatics, 18-22k if it’s not a reweld.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it is on a form 4.

View Quote

Is it cerakoted or hardcoated?

7075 doesn’t weld so awesome and when someone who can weld one pretty does, the anodizing won’t look quite identical in the weld zones.  Different alloys anodize and take dye a bit differently.

If it’s anno’d clean and even, I wouldn’t bother xraying. If it’s cerakoted, I’d be more suspicious.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, it is on a form 4.

View Quote

Typically the rewelds will lack the manufacturer markings on the left side over the FCG pocket. Some have been re-engraved, in which case you need to know how to discern roll markings from engraving or have it x-rayed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Typically the rewelds will lack the manufacturer markings on the left side over the FCG pocket. Some have been re-engraved, in which case you need to know how to discern roll markings from engraving or have it x-rayed.
View Quote

Hydramatics are only marked on the (L) side of the magwell.......no other markings on the receiver.

Who is the manufacturer listed as on the paperwork?

Might want to pull the pistol grip and see if there re any markings hidden under there...... there are substantially more Hydramatic rewelds than factory uncut guns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hydramatics are only marked on the (L) side of the magwell.......no other markings on the receiver.

Might want to pull the pistol grip and see if there re any markings hidden under there...... there are substantially more Hydramatic rewelds than factory uncut guns.
View Quote

Indeed, you are correct. I was thinking of H&R rewelds.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 5:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a government owed Hydramatic. If you need photos of an original, email me I’ll take some pictures.
Someone told me once that there were only 12-14 Hydramatics in registry. Not including the rebuilt ones. I would think that would make them one of the more valuable ones out there. I did look at a reweld once. It was duracoated and the paperwork did not list GM as the manufacturer. I know sometimes paperwork can get changed over time but after the bust they made a few years ago where some SOT got caught switching cheaper MGs for high dollar MGs I heard they started verifying every one they see. But the paperwork for the one you’re looking at may not have been seen by the ATF in some time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hydra Matic  GM is listed as the manufacturer.

The pistol tang under the grip is marked J Stemple.  

Duracoat finish I believe.  It's definitely not anodized.

I'm thinking reweld, but a good one. Runs great, no missing letters or numbers on the left side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
You are correct, it is definitely a reweld. John Stemple was the actual manufacturer, as he’s the one who welded the two scrap receiver “halves” back into a functional receiver.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]
So what might be the  current market value?

Shooter grade, reweld.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So what might be the  current market value?

Shooter grade, reweld.
View Quote
Probably about $20k. Maybe someone is willing to go more, but I just see it as another transferrable M16.

IIRC factory originals were asking about $80k a year or so ago.  Not sure any sold, but the big dealer I saw wanted quite the premium for it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Excellent thread, I'm also in the market for a transferable shooter grade M-16.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Reweld M16s are going for $18k on Strum these days. Been a couple of them pop up in the last month.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top