Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2017 6:00:07 PM EDT
I saw a 1940s era Winchester Model 94 chambered in 32 win special for sale at a local shop.  The condition was good with a significant amount of patina but no real rust.  The wood was nice.  The caliber is 32 win special, which ive never heard of.  Side by side, it looks. A lot like a 30-30.  Ballistic data shows its a little better than 30-30.   How much should I expect to pay for this?   Price was $850 which I think was high for a 94.  But I’m not sure if 32 is a desirable or rare chambering for that rifle tha would justify the higher price
Any comments on the price and that caliber?    I’d probably use the rifle for hunting next year
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I saw a 1940s era Winchester Model 94 chambered in 32 win special for sale at a local shop.  The condition was good with a significant amount of patina but no real rust.  The wood was nice.  The caliber is 32 win special, which ive never heard of.  Side by side, it looks. A lot like a 30-30.  Ballistic data shows its a little better than 30-30.   How much should I expect to pay for this?   Price was $850 which I think was high for a 94.  But I’m not sure if 32 is a desirable or rare chambering for that rifle tha would justify the higher price
Any comments on the price and that caliber?    I’d probably use the rifle for hunting next year
View Quote
Anything like this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Check gunbroker and compare prices of the two calibers.

I thought I remembered those generally going for less than a 30/30.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
DR, no, nothing like that.  Was it stolen?

As for 32, how does that caliber rate?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought my first rifle when I was 12, I worked all summer mowing lawns etc because our neighbor had a .32 win special that he needed to get rid of, his wife gave it to him as a wedding present while he was stationed in Texas but now she wanted it out of the house because they had a kid, he fired it 10 times according to him but she bought it used at a pawn shop in 1952.
Now, almost 42 years later it is still my favorite rifle and I have a safe full of firearms. I have killed many, many deer with it, never failed me.....ever.
That being said it may not be the best gun for you if you just want to deer hunt with it. The one problem with it is if you decide to scope it you have to get a side mount as the shell ejects out the top, side mounts just look stupid.
They are worth more then the 30-30's and being from the 40's it is one of the well made Winchesters.
That being said I think they are asking too much, if your not going to collect it(it is barley collectible) I would not go over $700 for it.
Retail for a 30-30 is around $600 but they can be had for $450 at auctions etc.(94's of that vintage)
Also if you decide to do alot of shooting with it, 30-30 rounds are cheaper most of the time. I have never had a problem finding shells for the .32------ yet.
Bottom line is: it will serve you well for deer hunting but for less money you could get a 30-30 or a .35 Marlin or even a 30-30 Henry new.
I would not buy a modern Winchester lever gun when there are so many well built levers around.
Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
32ws is sometimes a PITA to find but not a huge deal if you plan ahead. not like you are going to shoot 200 rounds every weekend .

Just about identical ballistics as a 30-30
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing wrong with that gun and that cartridge.
But that is collectors grade price.
Shop around and your should be able to find a Modle 94 in 30/30 or 32WinSpl. For $500.00 or less.
And I'd stick with the pre 64 Winchesters. Or newer angle eject.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Saddle ring carbine?  My 94 .32 win was made in 1921,  I paid about $365 or so iirc, that was about 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
If I remember the only reason the 32 was made was so people could still reload with black powder, something the 30-30 couldn't be done with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top