Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2021 11:08:38 AM EDT

I've been meaning to 'cull the herd' of my collection for several years now, and I finally have a coworker that's into guns/collecting/hunting that I might be able to sell to. Some of the items I want to get rid of ( like an AR-180b and DR-200 ) I can somewhat look up.

The gun in question is a Bushmaster Dissipator upper with A2 handle, fluted heavy barrel, on either a DPMS lower with a ACE Skeleton stock, or a Rock River Arms collapsible (prefer to get rid of the ACE one) Doubtful if it has 100 rounds through it, and everything purchased prior to '08 if that matters.

I remember what I paid for them as my 'base value', but with the gun buying panic, prices are all over the map on a good day. I don't want to be a price gouging dick, but also don't want to be a chump either. I was thinking of $800ish (including a mag or two). Good, bad, Ugly, what say ye ?

Before anyone says keep it cause blah, blah, Xiden, blah, blah, I can sell half my collection and still have an 'arsenal', and I haven't been into shooting/guns for over 10 years (other hobbies/interest).

Thankx
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I've been meaning to 'cull the herd' of my collection for several years now, and I finally have a coworker that's into guns/collecting/hunting that I might be able to sell to. Some of the items I want to get rid of ( like an AR-180b and DR-200 ) I can somewhat look up.

The gun in question is a Bushmaster Dissipator upper with A2 handle, fluted heavy barrel, on either a DPMS lower with a ACE Skeleton stock, or a Rock River Arms collapsible (prefer to get rid of the ACE one) Doubtful if it has 100 rounds through it, and everything purchased prior to '08 if that matters.

I remember what I paid for them as my 'base value', but with the gun buying panic, prices are all over the map on a good day. I don't want to be a price gouging dick, but also don't want to be a chump either. I was thinking of $800ish (including a mag or two). Good, bad, Ugly, what say ye ?

Before anyone says keep it cause blah, blah, Xiden, blah, blah, I can sell half my collection and still have an 'arsenal', and I haven't been into shooting/guns for over 10 years (other hobbies/interest).

Thankx
View Quote

I don’t know how nice your ACE stock is, but we have $700 new AR’s back on the shelf locally.

There was a time I really liked the dissipator uppers. But I was new into guns and assumed heavy profile barrels would be by default more accurate than lighter profile barrels. So that ship has sailed for me. It’s a niche upper for a collector in my eyes, not a first gun for a noob. Frankly, I’d feel bad capitalizing on a noob’s inexperience to sell him what might not be the best fit for him as his first AR unless there are just no better options locally.

So for my $ I’d just see it as a used AR and look to buy at about 75% of what could buy a new one for. Maybe tack on a few $’s if I was just hot and bothered over the stock.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a pretty fair price in today's market.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same boat back during the last panic.  I had a bunch of part guns with different receivers, barrels, uppers, etc.  Everyone wanted "brand name" complete guns.  I looked at the brand name they were looking to buy and knocked 300-500 off what I had to sell.  1/2 of them took it, the other 1/2 went off to continue searching.  Of those 1/2, 1/2 came back to ask to buy it a couple weeks later and get told "Sorry, it already sold".

I'm seeing Ar's back in stock for 700-800 in places, so you may have missed your best window.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
For a current price example, I sold a complete Cav Arms Mk 2 w/ LPK & buffer to a dealer at a show this weekend for $250.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don’t know how nice your ACE stock is, but we have $700 new AR’s back on the shelf locally.

There was a time I really liked the dissipator uppers. But I was new into guns and assumed heavy profile barrels were be default more accurate than lighter profile barrels. So that ship has sailed for me. It’s a niche upper for a collector in my eyes, not a first gun for a noob. Frankly, I’d feel bad capitalizing on a noob’s inexperience to sell him what might not be the best fit for him as his first AR unless there are just no better options locally.

So for my $ I’d just see it as a used AR and look to buy at about 75% of what could buy a new one for. Maybe tack on a few $’s if I was just hot and bothered over the stock.
View Quote

The stock is perfectly fine ( I got it simply for wanting something 'different', same for the Dissi ) He's not really a 'noob', he wants an AR platform in case of CW2 (no seriously), and I've mentioned in the past about wanting to sell off some, and as far as " I’d feel bad capitalizing on a noob’s inexperience " this guy is a cheep ass motherfucker, and loves to brag about his great deals (for our Christmas Bonus, we all got $500 amazon gift cards, and one guy is basically homeless, he gave him $300 for it-all of us looked at him like when he bragged about it) , and I really don't want to deal with him, but he has friends and family that are in the market also. I have no ideal why he never has gone to the store and just got one, he's probably hoping to 'rip me off'.

I'll keep the 75% of in mind.

I'm definitely regretting not trying to sell them off when I lived just a few miles from where a gun show was held every couple of months
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez.  I went to two different gun shows this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The stock is perfectly fine ( I got it simply for wanting something 'different', same for the Dissi ) He's not really a 'noob', he wants an AR platform in case of CW2 (no seriously), and I've mentioned in the past about wanting to sell off some, and as far as " I’d feel bad capitalizing on a noob’s inexperience " this guy is a cheep ass motherfucker, and loves to brag about his great deals (for our Christmas Bonus, we all got $500 amazon gift cards, and one guy is basically homeless, he gave him $300 for it-all of us looked at him like when he bragged about it) , and I really don't want to deal with him, but he has friends and family that are in the market also. I have no ideal why he never has gone to the store and just got one, he's probably hoping to 'rip me off'.

I'm definitely regretting not trying to sell them off when I lived just a few miles from where a gun show was held every couple of months
View Quote

I gotcha. If your local market is still mostly devoid of AR’s, nothing wrong with moving it at local market prices.

Personally, I’ve been amazed at what gun broker prices have been. I can usually find a gun cheaper on GB than in local shops, but it’s been the exact opposite for the last 6-9 months.

It might be worth a GB listing if you are just wanting to move it.

I’ve been tempted to cull the herd recently myself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

He sounds like a dick.. whatever you do, bleed him dry (unless you're looking for a possible repeat customer).
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always sold stuff during times like this for normal prices just because I feel like we're all gun folks so we should be trying to help each other instead of trying to get as much money as possible out of them.  

That said, this guy sounds like a real tool.  I'd tell him a grand.  If he's that much of a jackass (and the gift card thing proves he is) I wouldn't feel bad at all for taking him for as much as possible.  You get to play the part of Karma.  Since he's worried about a CW2, a grand is a small price to pay to protect yourself when the big one kicks off.

If you feel bad about it, donate the extra $200 to charity.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Geez.  I went to two different gun shows this weekend.
View Quote

Less then 10 minute's away (before) > more then an hour away (now), plus our cunt Gov still has shit locked down (I'll have to ask in the MI forum if there are still any going on.)
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've always sold stuff during times like this for normal prices just because I feel like we're all gun folks so we should be trying to help each other instead of trying to get as much money as possible out of them.  

That said, this guy sounds like a real tool.  I'd tell him a grand.  If he's that much of a jackass (and the gift card thing proves he is) I wouldn't feel bad at all for taking him for as much as possible.  You get to play the part of Karma.  Since he's worried about a CW2, a grand is a small price to pay to protect yourself when the big one kicks off.

If you feel bad about it, donate the extra $200 to charity.
View Quote

100% agree with everything
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't sell a functioning, good condition AR for less than $800.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He sounds like a dick.. whatever you do, bleed him dry (unless you're looking for a possible repeat customer).
View Quote

X2 guy sounds like a douche.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I would evaluate each major component for it's current new value

Barrel
Upper
Lower
BCG
LPK (inc. Trigger group)
buffer/tube and furniture
sights/optic

If you can't identify the mfg of something, assume it is the cheapest available.

Add all that up and that gives you a base line for what it would cost to duplicate it today.

Then deduct something for wear and tear or add something for some intrinsic premium. These are subjective values.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you have no idea. Here's the up date- Keep in mind he said he was interested in getting something, so I un-buried/dug out these guns (safe is in a closet, with a mountain of shit in front of it) and brought them to look at in the parking lot after work. He did ask me twice during work what I was asking, and I didn't tell him cause I figured it would go over better if he had it in his hands to check out first.

I referenced the fact I posted the question here to get an ideal of what it's worth might be, and told him $800 was considered a fair price, "Oh, my budget was only $500, I thought you were desperate", I proceeded to -- and went off on him, reminding him that I told him that I wasn't, and jabbed him with the 'I make more then you'

Had the ass-clown told me that in the first place, this would have been a nonstarter, and I would have brought out stuff that 'fit his budget'. He tried going around telling coworkers I was just mad cause he didn't buy my stuff, and I quickly set the record straight ! He hasn't talked to me for over a week now

So thanks everyone that gave me an idea on how to price it going forward, if our cunt gov ever opens the state up, I'll try the gun show route and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Put it on Gunbroker for a penny auction on Sunday night, ending the next Sunday.  Then tell your co-worker the ridiculous price your mutt fetched in this market.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
The thing about parts built guns is that it is never the exact combination of parts someone would want.

Heck, I'd probably love that dissy... except for the carry handle upper.

If you really want to sell, I'd break 'em in half, I think they'll sell easier and you may actually get a tad more for 'em.

Your "friend" should get on JSE's email list - I get 2 or 3 mails a week from them with in stock complete/stripped lowers, complete or stripped uppers, and complete guns.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The thing about parts built guns is that it is never the exact combination of parts someone would want.

View Quote
And I'm the opposite - I have a new PSA flat top dissy, and the idea of a proper iron sighted fluted dissy is somewhat appealing.

If nothing else, I would not have to come up with another optic for it.

Wait - was OP talking about a fixed or removable carry handle?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And I'm the opposite - I have a new PSA flat top dissy, and the idea of a proper iron sighted fluted dissy is somewhat appealing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed. My first two AR's were Colt 'lightweight sporter' and an HBAR, with standard fixed handle (way before re movable's were a thing) so I had handle adapters for optic's laying around, if I wanted, but yeah, getting a flat top means you have to get sights, something I didn't want to spend more on, especially for this.

I have also thought of selling the upper and lowers separately, but figured it was easier (during a pseudo panic) to sell it whole.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Put it on Gunbroker for a penny auction on Sunday night, ending the next Sunday.
View Quote

This is the best way to get the most money.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fixed. My first two AR's were Colt 'lightweight sporter' and an HBAR, with standard fixed handle (way before re movable's were a thing) so I had handle adapters for optic's laying around, if I wanted, but yeah, getting a flat top means you have to get sights, something I didn't want to spend more on, especially for this.

I have also thought of selling the upper and lowers separately, but figured it was easier (during a pseudo panic) to sell it whole.
View Quote

I think if you list on GB or a local shop via consignment, etc. a whole rifle can fetch more.

If you want sell in the EE then I'd say split it in half for best results, but offer to combine shipping if same buyer etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top