Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2022 8:53:24 AM EDT
I have a FP Peq 15 and I've just gotten to play with my friend's RH25 thermal. I'm questioning if I should sell the PEQ to help finance a thermal unit.  I get the value of a LAM in the military, but it seems like I could get most of the capability from my NODS with my T2 and Surefire vampire.  I rarely get to shoot at night, and I'd like to get into hog hunting, so the laser seems like less of an advantage there.  Any thoughts are welcome!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me,  I'd do just that.

Then again, I have a RH and don't like PEQs. You'd get good $$$$.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
In hog hunting it's NV for show, thermal for go. It's really best to have both. Thermal sucks dick for navigating without breaking your goddamned leg. NV or NV+illum will keep you from breaking your leg by snagging a bit of barbed wire that's gone ambient and become invisible to the thermal. Thermal will let you see a pig that's in grass up to its ears where NV won't. You might still sell the PEQ and pick up a cheaper alternative that's still powerful like a Kiji, which is basically a MAWL but super fuckin small. When ranges extend beyond a couple hundred yards then it's thermal for detection and NV for identification and engagement.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's very much user dependent of course but I see little value in NV for civilian activities. Thermal all the way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
• I2 NV lets you see in the dark, so camouflaged animals are still camo'd hidden in grasses, just displayed in shades of black/green/white.
• Thermal lets you see through the dark grasses, and animals stick out from whatever background (or foreground) camos them.

Back when thermal was laggy and pixelated, I used to like to scan with handheld thermal: better detection for spotting. Then I'd get on the gun with a green clip-on/scope setup: better resolution for the fine crosshair work of shooting.
Now that 640/fast refresh thermals are common and cheaper, (and just better lower-res ones too) I've kind of moved to thermal-only, but hang onto a pair of PVS14s to helmet mount or loan out to a newb when hunting, etc. Seeing hogs in tall grass, differing between dark animal shapes in front of colder waterholes, contrast on coyotes in brown fields, etc. all make thermal the better choice for on-gun use... pretty much everything except fast moving and driving.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Passive aiming is cool and all (have the capability), but LASERs allow so much more Situational Awareness/Target Clarity and odd firing positions around cover - I think they are good to have if you can afford them (even 0.7 FDA IR designators, go forever). But "One device from this table only"? Thermal 'Do All' like the RH25 type devices.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well for you and what you're doing, for sure.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I would sell it and get a cheaper laser.  Do you need one,yes.   Do you need that one, no.  I have a couple cqbl’s and thought I might sell when I got thermal. Nope.  They are used less but I have needed them a few times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top