Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2019 8:35:25 PM EDT
Kel-Tec RDB in an Action Rifle Match

I've run this rifle in a couple of action rifle matches, but all have been this short-range format (max range 60 yards). I shoot a lot of multigun and long-range action rifle too, but those are the domain of my AR15s... the RDB is not a serious long-range contender IMHO. However, for these kinds of tight space "CQB" stages, the RDB is very handy. The optic is a Vortex UH-1 Holographic Sight, which is a good fit in this kind of application.

At this match they like to test your technical skills like strong-to-weak-shoulder transitions. Stage 2 is an example of this (required to alternate shoulders for the first 4 targets) and the downward ejection of the RDB is obviously advantageous.

The only modification I've made to my RDB is to replace the A2 flash hider with a Surefire muzzle brake, which takes a lot of the bounce out of the recoil impulse and helps the sight settle back on the target quicker. There is more muzzle blast, but it is not particularly obnoxious for me as the shooter. The rifle has run 100% reliably with PMAGs, including the 62-round coupled mag arrangement shown in this video. I haven't even cleaned it yet. Enjoy

Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting the video! I find myself taking my RDB to the range more than my AUG or Tavor which isn't an outcome I was really expecting when I first picked it up.

How do you like the Vortex UH-1?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That 'stendo is hilarious, and awesome.  I actually like the D60 drums in mine, on occasion; only bullpup I've heard of where they even sorta work, ergonomically.

I know I had fun with my RDB at a competition; the format is nice especially when an event is more obstacle course than shooting event.  I, too, had nary a malfunction, though I likely spent more brass clearing between stages than shooting (super low round count event).

I will say that I was able to clear a stage with progressively farther targets out to 300yds (officers claimed 500, but no friggin' way) without any misses (using a PA 3X prismatic sight).  Unless you really lean onto the handguard, I've found accuracy to be at least decent, if not respectable --I normally do plates & not paper though, so take that with some salt.  My suspicion is the barrel tip suffers from Mini-14 "whip" and KT likely isn't using the nicest barrels or crowning tools.

The conventional wisdom is to apply a lot of force at the end of the handguard to control the muzzle, and that just doesn't work with this layout --but it doesn't work great with the Garand or many bolt actions, either.  Obviously a problem if you are trained on/using free floated guns for the most part, though.

I just got an S handguard to go with the minimalist Faxon brake...now I gotta cut & pin the barrel, make a lighter aluminum receiver...it never ends.  I do like how much handier the gun already is, though. And while I'm not confident in my own abilities to spot & hit farther targets with a 1X sight, I think that PA Cyclops is a nearly perfect pairing for the gun.  The 3X makes the gun topheavy, but the smaller 1X balances neutral.  Plus the added eye relief window is a nice considering all
the weird shooting positions a bullpup is suited to (I like the squat position, since there is no protruding weight to counterbalance & it keeps your arms roughly level with your heart which reduces fatigue)
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of AZ? Right now it's still 100° in Gilbert, I can't think of any good reason to run around in 100+ heat in the desert.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you like the Vortex UH-1?
View Quote
I’m more used to a single red dot, but for this kind of close-range engagement the holographic reticle seems to work well.

I like the tube configuration more than the open format of the EOTech. It is heavy though (common with Vortex optics) and feels like a brick on top of the svelte RDB. Also, I couldn't mount it quite where I’d like because of interference between the wide mount and the charging handle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What part of AZ? Right now it's still 100° in Gilbert, I can't think of any good reason to run around in 100+ heat in the desert.
View Quote
Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club in Mesa. Multigunners are a tough bunch, and “It’s a Dry Heat”
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
that mag makes CA cry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
that mag makes CA cry.
View Quote
A spent .22lr casing makes CA cry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Very cool.

The extendo looks like a rhino's dick!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice vid...hope you all practice putting rifles on safe when transitioning from one barricade to the next.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If it ain’t rainin’ beads of sweat from your face, you ain’t trainin’?

Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice video, OP, but you really..really need to slap a suppressor on your RDB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top