Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2020 8:57:10 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I sold a rifle on Gunbroker to a buyer in VA.  I got a copy of the FFL, printed out the EZ check and everything was fine.  The FFL is telling me that because they are a Pawn Shop (even though they are an FFL) it is illegal for them to log a firearm shipped to them into their books if it comes from a private individual, only transfers from other FFLs accepted.  Is this true?  In most of the country an FFL can log a gun in using a color photo copy of the seller's drivers license.

Any info you have any links to the law would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Too lazy to post the law pertaining to this:
It is not illegal by the ATF. VA law maybe?
ATF and Federal Law cannot force a business to transfer anything. If they don't want to, they don't have to. Better off to just find another FFL. Or better yet, make the buyer find one.
Also! Please call ahead to make sure they are willing to accept before going through a bunch of prep or mailing the item.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Most FFLs I have dealt with previously (7 years working in the firearms industry) marked on their FFL "no transfers from private individuals" or something of that effect.  I would highly recommend adding that to any .pdf copies of the license you may be disseminating if you don't want to accept transfers from non-ffls.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The buyer needs to find an FFL that will accept the transfer. Ive usually not have a problem with FFLs as a private seller, but the ones that won't accept it are out there. A lot of people in gunjoker make this clear that it is the sellers responsibility to find an FFL that will accept transfers from non-FFL holders.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey guys.  I sold a rifle on Gunbroker to a buyer in VA.  I got a copy of the FFL, printed out the EZ check and everything was fine.  The FFL is telling me that because they are a Pawn Shop (even though they are an FFL) it is illegal for them to log a firearm shipped to them into their books if it comes from a private individual, only transfers from other FFLs accepted.  Is this true?  In most of the country an FFL can log a gun in using a color photo copy of the seller's drivers license.

Any info you have any links to the law would be appreciated.
View Quote

Thats horseshit. If Rufus Needafiix walked into their shop and wanted to sell his mint condition 1911 they sure as heck would buy it and record in their books as an acquisition. The exact acquisition as if Rufus Needafix had shipped it to them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most FFLs I have dealt with previously (7 years working in the firearms industry) marked on their FFL "no transfers from private individuals" or something of that effect.  I would highly recommend adding that to any .pdf copies of the license you may be disseminating if you don't want to accept transfers from non-ffls.
View Quote

<----does 2,000 transfers a year and less than 1% have that printed or written on them, only about 5% have "no FTF transfer" or "File Copy only"

And I doubt the OP is an FFL, if he was then he likely wouldn't have posted this thread.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The buyer needs to find an FFL that will accept the transfer. Ive usually not have a problem with FFLs as a private seller, but the ones that won't accept it are out there. A lot of people in gunjoker make this clear that it is the sellers responsibility to find an FFL that will accept transfers from non-FFL holders.
View Quote

This.
It's the buyers responsibility to find a receiving FFL that isn't a dickhead and wants to do transfers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In most of the country an FFL can log a gun in using a color photo copy of the seller's drivers license.
View Quote

There is no requirement for photo ID on a buy. So unless state law requires it....
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is no requirement for photo ID on a buy. So unless state law requires it....
View Quote

I am 99.9999% sure it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Where in VA?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
The buyer is in Blacksburg.  

As I mentioned, I am not an FFL but I worked in the firearms industry selling, building and repairing guns for 7 years so I have a fair amount of industry knowledge.

I agree it is any dealer's right to only process the transfers that they desire.  This whole situation kind of threw me off because the FFL in question uploaded his license to Gunbroker.  That means that it is readily available for any buyer to select and the digital copy gets sent directly to the seller.  They had no notes on to indicate they had any restrictions.  They told me that they needed the gun out of there on Saturday or they were calling the ATF field office to come collect it . . . but the prepaid UPS shipping label that I sent them Friday night says it has not been picked up/dropped off yet.  

As this was the buyer's first Gunbroker/online purchase I found another FFL to complete the transfer through.  Thanks for all of the input!

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The buyer is in Blacksburg.  

As I mentioned, I am not an FFL but I worked in the firearms industry selling, building and repairing guns for 7 years so I have a fair amount of industry knowledge.

I agree it is any dealer's right to only process the transfers that they desire.  This whole situation kind of threw me off because the FFL in question uploaded his license to Gunbroker.  That means that it is readily available for any buyer to select and the digital copy gets sent directly to the seller.  They had no notes on to indicate they had any restrictions.  They told me that they needed the gun out of there on Saturday or they were calling the ATF field office to come collect it . . . but the prepaid UPS shipping label that I sent them Friday night says it has not been picked up/dropped off yet.  

As this was the buyer's first Gunbroker/online purchase I found another FFL to complete the transfer through.  Thanks for all of the input!

View Quote

When I sent GunBroker a copy of my FFL to add for their Auto drop feature, I didn't prep a special copy of the FFL with all sorts of notes about limitations.

When I email a copy of my FFL to a dealer it goes with cut and paste instructions in the email that do cover that sort of thing

The whole FFL autodrop feature at GunBroker is messed up anyways. I recently emailed them after I got tired of three quarters of the dealers who supposedly automatically got a copy of my FFL  then turning around and claiming that they never got it, requiring the that I take the time to send them another copy via email

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top