Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 10:23:19 PM EDT
Now I'll admit I'm to big of a pussy to ask this at uzi talk because I'm sure the thread will devolve fast.

So my uzi smg came in today and I hate, hate, the grip safety. Has anyone disabled or simply removed their grip safety and filled in the gap?

I have messed with many other open bolt guns and to my mind not a single one has had a grip safety. I assume it was a feature designed to keep poorly trained conscripts from shooting each other on accident seeing as trigger discipline, muzzle discipline, and utilizing the safety are too hard to teach.

What are your thoughts? No I'm not using a rubberband.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the lower off, press grip safety in and insert a little carved piece of wood or plastic into the opening, then reinstall on the gun and no more grip safety to mess with. Works great.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4-Pilot:
Take the lower off, press grip safety in and insert a little carved piece of wood or plastic into the opening, then reinstall on the gun and no more grip safety to mess with. Works great.
View Quote

Just take pictures of the insides before you start messing with it. Always nice to know to put it back together if your change your mind.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a full size, full auto Vector Uzi since 2006 and the heavy force grip safety was also irksome to me.  In 2017 I bought a new semi auto Vector Mini Uzi and it came with a nice positive but readily squeezable grip safety effort.  So I bought a new grip safety spring for the full auto Uzi, and now it too has a very tractable squeeze effort as well - feels like less than half of what it was with the original spring.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
SecondAmend beat me to it. Just change out the spring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just take pictures of the insides before you start messing with it. Always nice to know to put it back together if your change your mind.
View Quote

You aren't changing or removing anything, you're just sticking a little centimeter square sized piece of wood in behind the grip safety once you've pushed it forward, install lower back on gun and you can't see a thing and it's not falling out. Once you fit the piece of wood it takes maybe 30 seconds to install or remove as you see fit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
When my Uzi first came, the grip safety was very perceptible to me.  After shooting the gun more, I no longer notice it's there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Where can you get an aftermarket grip safety?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Tape it down.  Done.  But I leave mine alone
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve owned a Vector full-size smg for 18 years. The grip safety has never bothered me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve owned a Vector full-size smg for 18 years. The grip safety has never bothered me.
View Quote

This.  I just got used to it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah get used to it. It's especially helpful when given the gun to noobies. It just make sure you are holding the gun nice and tight when it's going to be going off. The only thing I don't like is you have to squeeze the safety and take the gun off safe to cock it
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am in this camp. I have owned mine a hair longer and you get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I filed and polished the part of the grip safety that stops the trigger from working until the amount I need to press on the grip safety was far less and much more easy to disengage without having a "death grip" on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Am I the only person who just clipped off the spring for the grip safety instead of taping it down?  All you do is clip off maybe 1/4 the length, and reinstall.  It keeps it as an operable safety feature, but no longer requires you to clamp down an unreasonable amount to disengage it.

Did it on my S/A and my SMG.  Both work fine and are much more comfortable to shoot, without losing any safety.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Am I the only person who just clipped off the spring for the grip safety instead of taping it down?  All you do is clip off maybe 1/4 the length, and reinstall.  It keeps it as an operable safety feature, but no longer requires you to clamp down an unreasonable amount to disengage it.

Did it on my S/A and my SMG.  Both work fine and are much more comfortable to shoot, without losing any safety.
View Quote

I was going to say this.  I think I noticed the safety on mine at the beginning but it's not even something I notice anymore.  If it's a coil spring just clip come length off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I use my IMI for limited class subgun matches and sometimes have to shoot from awkward positions that don't always allow for the best grip on the firearm.  
This would allow the grip safety to be activated and slow me down.  
I simply pulled the grip/lower and dropped in an appropriately sized washer to keep the grip safety fully depressed.  
Has worked perfectly for decades and thousands of rounds now and requires no permanent mods to the gun.  
The grip safety on my Limited class 2011 pistol is deactivated as well.  
Much like the magazine disconnect safety on a Browning Hi Power, grip safeties are just not a feature I need on a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I use electrical tape.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've had a full size, full auto Vector Uzi since 2006 and the heavy force grip safety was also irksome to me.  In 2017 I bought a new semi auto Vector Mini Uzi and it came with a nice positive but readily squeezable grip safety effort.  So I bought a new grip safety spring for the full auto Uzi, and now it too has a very tractable squeeze effort as well - feels like less than half of what it was with the original spring.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
View Quote

Mine must have been modded already when  bought.
Its no problem at all.
Dont even know its there.
But I have nothing to compare it too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top