Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2022 10:20:17 PM EDT
I am strongly considering building a .350 Legend rifle for deer hunting, and I would like to suppress it for EEEEEE reasons. I have an existing F1 suppressor that was made for use on my G-22 (originally a .45acp Mauser project that never quite panned out and I already had an approved stamp). The body is titanium and the end caps are steel, both from SDTactical. The baffles are mostly pre-formed frost plugs and a couple of machined steel "storage cups" I bought off of Amazon a long time ago.

Will this hold up under occasional .350 legend use?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a problem.  If you haven't drilled anything, I'd search for better internals.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That's kind of the problem. I already have the approved tax stamp for the existing suppressor. I don't want to play the "will the feds fuck me over this" game. I would just like some assurance that .350 Legend isn't such a hot round that it won't deform my existing baffles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You completed this 22 (or is it 45) silencer?
What size is the tube (internal dia x length)?
Size of blast chamber?
Bore dia?
Number of baffles (possible link to them)?
You want to shoot supers or subs through it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a 1.5" OD titanium tube. It is .45 caliber on the stamp, but since I don't have a .45 caliber firearm capable of using it, it is drilled slightly under-sized and used on a .40 S&W Glock. I don't think that the storage cups and frost plugs are on Amazon anymore. I think they stopped allowing "not silencer" parts a long time ago. Here is a picture of it's internals after a trip to the range. The two cylinders in the back are the "storage cups," and are used as a sort of blast chamber in conjunction with the booster.
Attachment Attached File

If I were to use this on a .350 legend barrel, I would use a spacer in place of the spring to keep the booster from wearing out too fast. I will most likely be using supersonic loads with this. I know that means that there will still be a significant crack with the shot. I just don''t want to worry about the baffles getting mangled from higher pressures and temperatures than it has been exposed to so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My biggest concern would be the blast chamber sizing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Just send it off for a recore. I bet that sounds terrible not even being clipped.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Material of baffles ?

Thickness of tube ?

That will determine whether it will last.

You will need to know muzzle pressure of 350 legend. This is a smaller number than chamber pressure which could be up to 60k psi

https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/pipe_bust_calc.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If it is billed and engraved as a .45 can… you’d better be sure it can pass a .451 rod or they could try and play games with you. The likelihood of them doing anything about it is, of course, pretty much zero.

I have an old YHM 45 Cobra I had recored. They said at the time that changing the bore to be unsuitable to actually fit a .45acp bullet would constitute making a new silencer.  So I had it recored with simple titanium step baffles at .455” for use in a 9mm PCC to quiet it as much as possible but still technically for a .45 gage pin… although I’m sure you wouldn’t want to actually shoot a .45 through it.

It still doesn’t sound that good, LOL.  I would guess .45” freeze plug baffles sounds pretty crappy on .350 legend even if they don’t collapse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top