Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2022 12:32:06 AM EDT
I am new to the NODs game, but I found a cool application for the Sionyx camera today. I just got a Streamlight TLR VIR for my pistol. This light only has an IR laser and no visible one. I have access to an indoor range at my gun club but the idea of turning out all the lights and trying to get a zero with a helmet mounted PVS14 seemed cumbersome.

I was able to verify that the Sionyx set to color night mode was able to pick up the IR laser in a well lit room. So I grabbed a small tripod mounted the camera to it and looked through it and was able to get my zero without being in near total darkness. I think being able to see IR with the range lights on made everything a lot easier.

Figured I would share as there are some uses for the digital NV cameras.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am new to the NODs game, but I found a cool application for the Sionyx camera today. I just got a Streamlight TLR VIR for my pistol. This light only has an IR laser and no visible one. I have access to an indoor range at my gun club but the idea of turning out all the lights and trying to get a zero with a helmet mounted PVS14 seemed cumbersome.

I was able to verify that the Sionyx set to color night mode was able to pick up the IR laser in a well lit room. So I grabbed a small tripod mounted the camera to it and looked through it and was able to get my zero without being in near total darkness. I think being able to see IR with the range lights on made everything a lot easier.

Figured I would share as there are some uses for the digital NV cameras.

View Quote

You can overlap your IR laser to your pistols iron sights, by using a piece of  5.56 to punch a hole into your daylight filter cap or Buttler Creek scope cap, which will allow you to have a near focus. Just lollypoo your IR laser to your iron sights at the furthest distance you can see and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can overlap your IR laser to your pistols iron sights, by using a piece of  5.56 to punch a hole into your daylight filter cap or Buttler Creek scope cap, which will allow you to have a near focus. Just lollypoo your IR laser to your iron sights at the furthest distance you can see and you'll be set.
View Quote

I’m still new to this so I may be over protective of my PVS14 being exposed to too much white light. So the camera option made sense to me and I was able to get a good 7 yard zero with it. It was also cool to be able to see IR in a lit area.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m still new to this so I may be over protective of my PVS14 being exposed to too much white light. So the camera option made sense to me and I was able to get a good 7 yard zero with it. It was also cool to be able to see IR in a lit area.

Thanks for the feedback.
View Quote

Just to be clear what I described is done in the dark. The small hole allows you to focus your 14 at a shorter distance so you can see your iron sights
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just to be clear what I described is done in the dark. The small hole allows you to focus your 14 at a shorter distance so you can see your iron sights
View Quote

Got it, thanks again. The range I was using is open to other club members and with my luck some old timer would walk in on me in the dark and have a fit.

I think I will try your method to see what the laser zero looks like relative to the irons in the back yard (without live fire of course).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top