Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2018 5:21:59 PM EDT
So I have a line on a used TL15 that used to be in a credit union. It is a steal of a deal at $200. I’m only waiting on final approval from the real estate company looking to move it off of their property. It is a Diebold cashguard 171-95 and weighs in at 2545 lbs according to the spec sheet. Is it unrealistic to think I’m going to get this thing into my basement? I have a walkout basement with 5 concrete steps. How much can I expect to pay to have it moved into my house?
It is wired for an alarm system and has a time lock, neither of which I think I need.  How do I deal with them? There may also be an issue with the electronic lock code. There were two codes taped to the front but the lock had no power so I could not test them.

What else am I getting into or haven’t considered that I should? Can you guys help me? I’m feeling excited and afraid at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The easiest (and least expensive) way to get that kind of weight down 5 exterior stairs is to rig it off of a forklift.  You may even be able to crane it over the house and drop it down that way, but you'd want to avoid that bill if possible.  It can also be purely by hand, but that would also be more costly than a forklift.  You will spend multiples of what you're paying for the safe to have it moved, which is likely why you're getting a good deal on it.  We generally charge landlords to remove abandoned safes.

If you're going to pay to have it professionally moved, the same people moving it should be able to give you guidance on the rest.  Not a dig at you in any way, but a real estate company or property owner would be out of their minds to allow somebody to attempt to move something like that who wasn't insured.  It's not uncommon for us to have to provide a certificate on jobs like this.  Some want $1 million, others $2.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I am definitely planning on paying somebody qualified to make the move.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest replacing the lock with new.  This is the most likely cause of failure on any safe, and you never know the history of a used unit.

The alarm components can simply have the wiring cut and the sensors detached.  The time locks must be manually activated to work, so in theory you could simply leave everything there and not use them.  I generally remove them as well as the connection between them and the safe's bolt work.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The real estate company is taking their sweet time approving the sale and I’m starting to think it isn’t going to happen. Thanks for the tips though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
My local safe selling and moving company would not go up or down stairs with anything than weighed more than 2000 lbs

Good luck finding somebody to do it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
A rigging company wanted $1700 to take my 4500# vault from the curb to the garage. I have a friend that's a builder and borrowed his telehandler to get it in the door. The rest was a pallet jack. The design of my garage doesn't allow for a forklift to get that close or that might have worked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top