Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2018 11:10:42 AM EDT
I am in the middle of a 9mm AR (colt) build and and it seems the bolt is not compatible with the lower receiver. I guess this is what happens when things get strung out over 10 years.

Anyways, it was suggested that I dremel the winds on the outside of the feed ramp. to make the bolt slide over the feed ramp sides. While I do have a dremel, I don't like the idea of using it in this situation and think maybe a file would be the better option. Should I use a dremel or a file? If a dremel, what tip would be best? If a file, what type of file? I have some files I bought at Home Depot, but not sure if those would be the correct files.

Is there something I could put on face of the bolt or feed ramp to help mark how much material, and what angle to be taken off? I was going to put some chalk on the bolt and hope if some would rub off on the feed ramp to help mark mark it, but is there something better I should use?

Should I use a blueing pen or something over the area to file for corrosion protection afterwards?

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
whichever way you decide to , remember that it takes a lot longer to fuck up with a file.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
File, slowly once you get some metal exposed use a magic marker to paint it and see where you are hitting.

I would consider a sanding block, you can move a lot of aluminum with a coarse paper and it won’t clog like a file, then finish with fine paper.

Chalk your file to reduce clogging.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My rule:

A dremel for cutting (destruction)
A file/stone for fitting
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Dremels are probably responsible for as many, or more, destroyed firearms as our own worthless government. In for the post dremel destruction and accompanying tears......
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dremels are probably responsible for as many, or more, destroyed firearms as our own worthless government. In for the post dremel destruction and accompanying tears......
View Quote
Dremels are very good at screwing things u in the blink of an eye.

The power is far better limited by the shaft system on a Foredom tool.

Dremels encourage excessive speed to try and maintain control that destroys things in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
As the others have said, it’s much easier to cut flat & straight with a file than a dremel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top