Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2019 12:28:41 AM EDT
I assume this is fairly straightforward after watching assembly videos online. I’m considering trading my current setup for a solid PVS15 that has green 10160 weapons grade tubes (plus a chunk of cash) and then looking at swapping the green tubes out for L3 filmless ones. I can’t seem to find a resource to suggest what it might cost to come up with two good matches tubes? I could do the install myself but then there’s collimation so also considering costs for a professional to do it.

Can anybody shed some light?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I payed 2 grand for my L3 FL WP tube. And I hear that was a good deal.

To be honest with you I miss green phosphor. When I upgrade to duals I will probably rock green again.

P.S. I'm about to get your old a3. Did you shave down the laser cover lanyard pin? I'm not exactly thrilled about that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To be honest with you I miss green phosphor. When I upgrade to duals I will probably rock green again.

P.S. I'm about to get your old a3. Did you shave down the laser cover lanyard pin? I'm not exactly thrilled about that.
View Quote
Not I good sir. I got it used myself in that condition.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that. If you upgrade to WP tubes let me know and maybe I can snag your green tubes
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
PVS 15 are great, but kinda heavy at 25.6 oz or 1.6 lbs. The weight balanced out is ok at first, but can wear on you for extended use. I'd hate to see someone spend a lot of duckets on upgrading to another system, then upgrade the tubes and end up with something you will not enjoy for long periods at a time. You might be better off buying very much lighter RNVGs or BNVDs in WP with a warranty. Check JRH Enterprises for WP BNVDs for under 6K IIRC. I've used others WP goggles before but wasn't impressed enough to want to upgrade my current kit to WP as some people really like them and others not so much. I've found the bluish tint was bothersome to me and lead to eye fatigue. IMHO having excellent performing tubes in near dark conditions wins hands down over color.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PVS 15 are great, but kinda heavy at 25.6 oz or 1.6 lbs. The weight balanced out is ok at first, but can wear on you for extended use. I'd hate to see someone spend a lot of duckets on upgrading to another system, then upgrade the tubes and end up with something you will not enjoy for long periods at a time. You might be better off buying very much lighter RNVGs or BNVDs in WP with a warranty. Check JRH Enterprises for WP BNVDs for under 6K IIRC. I've used others WP goggles before but wasn't impressed enough to want to upgrade my current kit to WP as some people really like them and others not so much. I've found the bluish tint was bothersome to me and lead to eye fatigue. IMHO having excellent performing tubes in near dark conditions wins hands down over color.
View Quote
1.6 pounds you mean 1 lb, 6ish ounces?

Pvs15s weigh between 22.5-23 ounces.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm finding that L3 WP tubes are commanding quite the premium still, and unless they could be had at an uncommon deal like Milspec556 got, it's probably not financially viable for me. On the flip side, JRH and others are offering Photonis WP dual systems for between $6,000 and $7,000 outright, but I'm really not sold on Photonis Echo capabillities after using L3 Unfilmed (but also have never seen them in person, just videos online).
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as the 15 goes I don’t notice it more than my 7.  I use a big piece of metal for a counter weight though.  It doesn’t bother much unless I get past the 3 hr mark but I am pretty out of shape.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Id say your chasing minimal performance enhancement. Save those Benji's for a MAWL!
I had 15's with OMNI7-WG not the Ferrari of tubes, but not a slouch either!
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just FWIW, to me at least, the Photonis WP (as $6,000 WP RNVGs are bound to be) presents with a stronger bluish hue than L3 or Harris WP.

Doesn’t bother me much in particular, but I had another customer ask about this this weekend, so it seems worth mentioning.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just FWIW, to me at least, the Photonis WP (as $6,000 WP RNVGs are bound to be) presents with a stronger bluish hue than L3 or Harris WP.

Doesn’t bother me much in particular, but I had another customer ask about this this weekend, so it seems worth mentioning.

~Augee
Thanks, great info. If they're worse then the WP L3 I looked through, I'm not going to waste my time trying to find a set of Echo tubes to look through.

Quoted:

That's because 7s are chunksters, too.

~Augee
I'm sure PVS 7s great personalities more than make up for it
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Roger that. If you upgrade to WP tubes let me know and maybe I can snag your green tubes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then let me know - I’ll take your WP off your hands @MILSPEC556.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In on the NV gang bang! Oops did I say that out loud?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I still like GREEN! Just do since 1991 when I first wore my Gen 2's.  Still kicked and screamed going from single to duals, all with an ANVIS system that finally broke. Then Sentinels, with the ANVIS tube SWAP, but still no white for me. But filmless green now.
View Quote
I've posted in several threads in this forum this opinion, but I really find the white to be a marginal improvement for my tastes personally, and if I had to do it over again I'd stick with a solid green and save the pennies. But, here I am, with white tubes still!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top