Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2022 12:38:08 AM EDT
I've had my DBAL D2 for several years - It seems huge on my SBR.  If I want to upgrade what should I be looking at????
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
DBAL-A3 if you dont need an illuminator over 30- 40 yards.

Other than that... FP unit like a PEQ15 or DBAL-A2.

Persts are out of the question now due to Russia conflict.

Maybe just a IR Illuminator and stand alone IR pointer, but then you get back into larger stuff at that point.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for a unit with both a laser and illuminator? If so, I’d say the MAWL is your only other good option. If you just need the laser, I’d say most units on the market will do what you need.

Some more info on what you’re plans are would help. There are smaller LAMs but the functions are different.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
MAWL if money is no object.

A second hand FP PEQ15 should be the same cost as a new civi unit.

Avoid the civi DBALs, the illuminator is like a dim nightlight compared to your D2.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If your set on a single unit, then the above posts have that info.

Otherwise, you could piece together what you want and use TAPS Sync. But then youre getting into some serious mass on your SBR.

I have a Dbal i2, EXIR250 and Arisaka white light all on my 10.5" Took a little getting used to, but I really dont find the mass a problem.

You could pair up a CQBL w/ an IR illum and it would be a smaller package, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
MAWL C1+ or FP PEQ15 are the easiest upgrades from your D2.

Gray market FP PEQ15s are probably the best value at around $2000 on the used market. MAWLs are over $3k now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Lumen Defense is going to be releasing a VCSEL laser Illuminator similar to the MAWL. The one they produced for USNV (not working together any more) looked fantastic.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
A FP PEQ is all I'd recommend. I would rather have three more D2s than a MAWL. Their new $3600 asking price is just completely out of touch with reality, and BE Meyers warranty service isn't exactly known for being...reasonable. Nor are replacement parts. Supposedly the parasitic drain issue went away on current production MAWLs, but I've seen far fewer people buying them since the crazy price increase.

The MAWL is better ergonomically and is a couple ounces lighter. The D2 illuminator is better than a MAWL C1 in my use with a really sharp cone, with a caveat being the short-mid-long control manipulation. You can get sorta there with a VWS diffuser to hop between wide and super narrow on the fly and they're just $65, but it just isn't as nice as the MAWL's controls.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
All great info! Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
PM sent
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All great info! Thank you.
View Quote

If you don't need an illuminator beyond 30ish yards, give the Streamlight TLR VIR II a look, they are incredibly cost-effective and have a small footprint.  If you do need/want long range illumination, the PERST-3s are excellent and not as bulky as the D2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top