Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/11/2020 11:46:13 AM EDT
Title pretty much says it all and let me preface this with the fact that I have absolutely zero practical application for a .50 nor am I into ultra long range shooting so this is more along the lines of "BIG BOOM COOL" than anything else

Anyhow, I've been tossing around the idea of finding a used Serbu RN-50 in the 18" or 22" flavor (there's bound to be some out there for obvious reasons, IE the exact reason I'm looking at one), slapping a SWFA fixed 10x on top and a folding stock (because covert rifles are cool, .50s are cool, so a covert .50 would be cool^2). The question tho would be which adapter would probably hold up? I've seen photos of them with LAW adapters but cannot find any info on anyone actually using one (probably because this is dumb but that's never stopped be before). Or on the other hand would a picatinny style QD mount like SIG has been using be stronger? In practice it'd be similar to how the McMillan CS5/Alias is setup and just detach the stock and clip it to the forend for storage.

Thoughts? Criticisms? (Other than OP is an idiot, that's your free square)

RN-50 w/LAW pic:

UPDATE 4/18

I've got a Safety Harbor SHTF Single shot upper with the high rail w/ backup irons step headed my way along with everything minus glass and the LAW folder. Ended up being torn between a Noreen and an AR upper and just went for the Safety Harbor simply due to that it was a proper bolt action.

Originally I was looking at the aforementioned SWFA SS 10x but was curious on some options in the similar $300-400 price range. Only other requirement is that it is 30mm since I've already picked up the Badger Ord MAX-50 rings (standard .823" height).
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IIWY, I'd find one of those short 50 AR uppers and then use the LAW folder.  I think it would be faster to shoot and reload than the Serbu-RN with that threaded cap.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
can't help with your exact question, though I support your project 1000%. I have a law folder on a regular AR and honestly I think it's stronger than the buffer tube and lower threads that it attaches to. So if you find something with an AR buffer tube I imagine you'd be good to go
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
can't help with your exact question, though I support your project 1000%. I have a law folder on a regular AR and honestly I think it's stronger than the buffer tube and lower threads that it attaches to. So if you find something with an AR buffer tube I imagine you'd be good to go
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They're definitely super strong, I'm just worried about the hinge pin coming loose or something and a catastrophic failure if I didn't nice. A stock breaking under .50 recoil right in front of your face probably is going to lead to a really bad day

Serbu has pics on his website of one with a LAW installed so I should shoot him an email asking if they've actually put rounds through it like that.

Quoted:
IIWY, I'd find one of those short 50 AR uppers and then use the LAW folder.  I think it would be faster to shoot and reload than the Serbu-RN with that threaded cap.
Undeniably correct. I would greatly prefer a bolt action single but at the end of the day the host is just going to be what I can find a good deal on. The Serbu is just tempting because I could do this whole project *new* for under $2k and if I can find one used I could get my hands on a bunch of ammo aswell for the same money.

It's a back burner project anyhow so I'm in no rush. Election year hoarding and all that
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They're definitely super strong, I'm just worried about the hinge pin coming loose or something and a catastrophic failure if I didn't nice. A stock breaking under .50 recoil right in front of your face probably is going to lead to a really bad day.
View Quote
Maybe get 1 of these:

Expensive, but cheaper than a facial reconstruction surg bill.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I made a compact 50 bmg with a Noreen ULR shell holder.
Was going to convert it to the 50 spotter cartridge, but never got around to it.
Their telescoping stock has some recoil reduction with the springs.
The telescoping stock isn't as quick to deploy as the folding stock though, as it uses two clips that fit into holes in the rails.
Very secure when pinned into place, but it would be easier to use with some type of retractable pin system. I keep spare clips in the hollow grip compartment.
I cut the barrel down to 18" and threaded it to fit the ULR brake.
Had them convert the cheek pc to left hand.
Have a QD red dot sight and a QD 3x9 compact scope.
It fits into an M4 rifle case, but if you pick it up, you know an M4 isn't the case.
Even a compact 50 is heavy, but is still fun to shoot.

SJC
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
McMillan had a folding stock .50 for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the same urge, and built a "backpack cannon" using an AR lower with a magpul collapsing stock on the innermost position, and a 12.5" .50 BMG upper from Moriarti Armaments. Long range is one thing, the ability to conceal antimateriel firepower is an entirely different game that I think deserves a lot more attention.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
To make that more useful I think that hiding the flash would become important, either via muzzle device and/or atypical powder charges.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whelp, ended up down your suggested path with at Safety Harbor 18"! Got everything I need headed my way minus the LAW and glass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had the same urge, and built a "backpack cannon" using an AR lower with a magpul collapsing stock on the innermost position, and a 12.5" .50 BMG upper from Moriarti Armaments. Long range is one thing, the ability to conceal antimateriel firepower is an entirely different game that I think deserves a lot more attention.
View Quote

Antimaterial......with such a short barrel......probably not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Numbers are approximations using M33 650gr ball and a 260gr charge of US869.

12.5" 2,000FPS. 5,750ft.-lbs.
18" 2,350FPS 8,000ft.-lbs.
22" 2,540FPS 9,300ft.-lbs.
29" 2,750FPS 11,000ft.lbs.

That 12.5" .50BMG would be hitting harder than a 30" barrel .338LM firing 300gr at 2,830FPS - which gives 5,330ft.-lbs.

Would you argue that a 30" barreled .338LM isn't an anti-materiel rifle?
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That 12.5" .50BMG would be hitting harder than a 30" barrel .338LM firing 300gr at 2,830FPS - which gives 5,330ft.-lbs.

View Quote

.338 AP is hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't think that you could get 260grs of powder in a .50 case. That and the fact that it would probably be a compressed load and seriously hot! Not something that anyone should try, unless pulling the trigger with a string and standing 100 feet away!

View Quote

You absolutely can - with the M33 650gr. In fact Hodgdon themselves list 265gr as a maximum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay then let's back off from within 5gr of a published maximum load and use a different example.

Same 650gr M33 but this time 239.7gr of Vihtavuori 20N29 - that's their published starting load. 12.5" barrel will produce approximately 1,700FPS and 4,150ft.-lbs.

Going back to US869 and still with the M33 projectile: 245gr gives approximately 1,840FPS and 4,880ft.-lbs.

For a 12.5" barrel there's just no other realistic option and even with such a short barrel it certainly would hold its own against .338LM and similar choices.

Mind you I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the muzzle flash when firing.

The OP's choice of going with an 18" barrel is extremely sensible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay then let's back off from within 5gr of a published maximum load and use a different example.

Same 650gr M33 but this time 239.7gr of Vihtavuori 20N29 - that's their published starting load. 12.5" barrel will produce approximately 1,700FPS and 4,150ft.-lbs.

Going back to US869 and still with the M33 projectile: 245gr gives approximately 1,840FPS and 4,880ft.-lbs.

For a 12.5" barrel there's just no other realistic option and even with such a short barrel it certainly would hold its own against .338LM and similar choices.

View Quote

I had a heavy bolt lift at 230 grains of US 869 behind 650 grain API's in my AR-50 so I backed off to 225 at it was fine.  Published max load data for 50 BMG powders is notoriously high.  Your real numbers, from working up to a max load for your rifle, will likely be far less than published max.  Be careful....there is a grenade going off in front of your face.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:04:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I had a heavy bolt lift at 230 grains of US 869 behind 650 grain API's in my AR-50 so I backed off to 225 at it was fine.  Published max load data for 50 BMG powders is notoriously high.  Your real numbers, from working up to a max load for your rifle, will likely be far less than published max.  Be careful....there is a grenade going off in front of your face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I specified M33 650gr for a reason. The lower density of the AP core gives a larger bearing surface which can - as you found out - easily increase pressure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As was said, don't go by published loads. Some of their starting loads are higher than you want to be!

I always recommend 215grs as a starting load, it's low enough to use for all powders and will send any projo well past 1000 yards.

With some pulldown powders, guys have had 215grs be a hot load, that's why you have to start low and work your loads up.

You'll also find that you'll get better accuracy using a lower charge. You don't have to max out every load. That and maxing them out will also wear out your brass faster.
View Quote

Agreed on pretty much every single point. No need for excess wear and tear. No need to use expensive brass and powder excessively.

The only thing I'll disagree on is that I've seen some loads where 215gr is beyond factory maximum. Had more to do with the goofy 800gr+ bullet than the powder so for all normal projectiles your point stands - and saves money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also the ability to fire SLAP or Mk211 has nothing to do with barrel length. If I need to disable a vehicle, I'll take a .50 BMG of any length over a .338 Lapua every time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be like using antimaterial on your target and a flamethrower on your own position at the same time.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
That looks like a typo to me. The drop down has 29", 12.5", or 18", but everything else on the page talks about 29,22, or 18" barrel lengths and there's no mention of a 12.5" barrel option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#27]
that said, I'd buy one of these uppers. Mag-fed ~12" 50 bmg. Too bad they don't sell them.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA2Mjky/50-bmg-pistol-ridiculous-guns
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
that said, I'd buy one of these uppers. Mag-fed ~12" 50 bmg. Too bad they don't sell them.

View Quote

Do you realize that it would be fairly trivial to take any manual-action .50 and shorten the barrel? If it's a rifle then of course 16" is the limit without a stamp. If it's just an upper however - your call how short to go.

If you can't find anyone to shorten and rethread a barrel for you just ask on here. Plenty of us have lathes large enough and the ability and experience.

ETA: $1 says that's the particular flavor of upper that "encouraged" the ATF to find that all .50 uppers were firearms just by themselves. I have to imagine that a mail-order concealable .50 upper got some panties in a twist. I know it was SHFT uppers that were specifically reclassified as firearms and the determination spread from there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gonna assume it's so AP, SLAP, etc doesn't get the 7N6 and attempted M855 treatment
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you realize that it would be fairly trivial to take any manual-action .50 and shorten the barrel? If it's a rifle then of course 16" is the limit without a stamp. If it's just an upper however - your call how short to go.

If you can't find anyone to shorten and rethread a barrel for you just ask on here. Plenty of us have lathes large enough and the ability and experience.

ETA: $1 says that's the particular flavor of upper that "encouraged" the ATF to find that all .50 uppers were firearms just by themselves. I have to imagine that a mail-order concealable .50 upper got some panties in a twist. I know it was SHFT uppers that were specifically reclassified as firearms and the determination spread from there.
View Quote
I do realize. I'd prefer to pay the going rate for the barrel length I'd prefer instead of buying and paying extra to have it cut down and threaded. Not to mention how much shipping it there and back would cost.

The ATF determined that all 50 BOLT ACTION uppers were firearms because they said it's basically the same design as a standard bolt action gun - barrel threaded to receiver that holds the bolt.

And from what I understand it wasn't SHTF that got the ATF's attention, it was an unnamed foreign company looking to import some uppers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Gonna assume it's so AP, SLAP, etc doesn't get the 7N6 and attempted M855 treatment
View Quote
If they don't sell it as a pistol, then it doesn't matter in that context. And since the upper itself is a receiver, even if they put it on a pistol AR lower, it still would need a stamp.

Which makes me think that you'd need 2 stamps to use it as an SBR. Because even once you stamp the upper, you couldn't install it on a non-sbr lower.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If they don't sell it as a pistol, then it doesn't matter in that context. And since the upper itself is a receiver, even if they put it on a pistol AR lower, it still would need a stamp.

Which makes me think that you'd need 2 stamps to use it as an SBR. Because even once you stamp the upper, you couldn't install it on a non-sbr lower.
View Quote

If it's a firearm - not a rifle or a pistol - then the barrel length doesn't matter one bit. If it goes under 26" overall then of course it can't have a stock as a non-SBR.

The fact the upper is a firearm by itself doesn't really impact that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
They transfer as a "Firearm", 12.5" is not a typo, and the SHTF-50 mag-fed shown in that clip is the 12.5" model Moriarti sells. I just ordered the single-shot one to help keep weight/bulk down, since the whole project's intent was a backpack-fifty. It will not be the only .50 I end up owning
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#34]
They transfer as a "Firearm", 12.5" is not a typo (the rest of the description is just copypasta from Safety Harbor's own page on them, but my understanding is that Moriarti does the chop/thread in-house which is why Safety Harbor doesn't offer that length), and the SHTF-50 mag-fed shown in that clip is the 12.5" model Moriarti sells. I just ordered the single-shot one to help keep weight/bulk down, since the whole project's intent was a backpack-fifty. It will not be the only .50 I end up owning
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If it's a firearm - not a rifle or a pistol - then the barrel length doesn't matter one bit. If it goes under 26" overall then of course it can't have a stock as a non-SBR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. So yeah, either way, it's not a pistol, so there's no concern about handgun armor piercing restrictions by the ATF.

That said, even if the OAL is longer than 26", throwing an upper with a barrel shorter than 16" on an AR lower with a stock obviously requires a stamp.

It would make a great pistol, though (unless you throw a vfg on it so its a firearm/firearm. lol)
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They transfer as a "Firearm", 12.5" is not a typo (the rest of the description is just copypasta from Safety Harbor's own page on them, but my understanding is that Moriarti does the chop/thread in-house which is why Safety Harbor doesn't offer that length), and the SHTF-50 mag-fed shown in that clip is the 12.5" model Moriarti sells. I just ordered the single-shot one to help keep weight/bulk down, since the whole project's intent was a backpack-fifty. It will not be the only .50 I end up owning
View Quote

Now we're talking!

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#37]
@Raider14

Please keep us updated!  

I have an unused SBR lower AND an approved Form1 for a .50. . .

You may have just made me spend $$
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@Raider14

Please keep us updated!  

I have an unused SBR lower AND an approved Form1 for a .50. . .

You may have just made me spend $$
View Quote

You mean a F1 for a silencer? If so - please be aware that the muzzle pressure from a 12.5" .50 BMG using ordinary ammunition will be 20,000-30,000PSI. You would need a thick walled can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You mean a F1 for a silencer? If so - please be aware that the muzzle pressure from a 12.5" .50 BMG using ordinary ammunition will be 20,000-30,000PSI. You would need a thick walled can.
View Quote

Yes F1 suppressor-it’s been approved for awhile now
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The design considerations for a 12.5" barrel will be worth keeping in mind. It's entirely doable of course - but the end result will look different than the same can for a 30"+ barrel!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
when you get it, make sure to throw up some pics for us! and a weight for the single shot 12.5" version, since that data isn't available on their site.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
when you get it, make sure to throw up some pics for us! and a weight for the single shot 12.5" version, since that data isn't available on their site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.5" of the thinnest part of a .50 barrel as used on these uppers doesn't weigh all that much. Figure 1.1lbs to 1.9lbs at most.

More important is that the recoil will be lower due to lower velocity - the perceived recoil will be as well due to the gas working through the brake that much sooner.

The balance ought to be further to the rear as well which is always nice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

6.5" of the thinnest part of a .50 barrel as used on these uppers doesn't weigh all that much. Figure 1.1lbs to 1.9lbs at most.

More important is that the recoil will be lower due to lower velocity - the perceived recoil will be as well due to the gas working through the brake that much sooner.

View Quote
??? I'm asking him how much the 12.5" upper weighs. Are you saying it should weigh 1.9lbs at most?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha, will do. Waiting on the pandemic shipping delays is killing me, but when the time comes I'll do some sort of writeup/review thread.

I think the other guy is saying the 12.5" upper will only LOSE 1.5lbs or whatever, compared to the 18" one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
??? I'm asking him how much the 12.5" upper weighs. Are you saying it should weigh 1.9lbs at most?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. A 12.5" upper should weigh 1.1lbs to 1.9lbs less than factory 18" length of the SHTF upper.

18? Barrel: 12.0 lbs
Source
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes. A 12.5" upper should weigh 1.1lbs to 1.9lbs less than factory 18" length of the SHTF upper.

18 Barrel: 12.0 lbs
Source
View Quote
Got it now. Thanks. lol.

Your response was like something my wife would say, though man. Jump right into the details without explaining the connection to the subject at hand. Maybe I'm just easily confused.

"what does the upper weigh?"
"6.5" of the thinnest part of a .50 barrel as used on these uppers doesn't weigh all that much. Figure 1.1lbs to 1.9lbs at most."
"wut"

Your second way of explaining it made more sense to me.

Either way, I'd love to get a confirmation from zombie's scale.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got it now. Thanks. lol.

Your response was like something my wife would say, though man. Jump right into the details without explaining the connection to the subject at hand. Maybe I'm just easily confused.

"6.5" of the thinnest part of a .50 barrel as used on these uppers doesn't weigh all that much. Figure 1.1lbs to 1.9lbs at most."
"wut"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 Barrel: 12.0 lbs
Source
Got it now. Thanks. lol.

"wut"

Hey - we got there in the end!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top