Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2018 11:19:05 PM EDT
Today I acquired a Springfield M1a with a 1978, Maybe 1979 receiver. Mint condition with the wood handguard on top. The seller was an older guy who bought it, test fired it and stashed it away.

The barrel is only marked Geneso IL in very tiny letters on the bottom. I haven’t had the rifle apart yet.

The thing I’m the most curious about though is the bolt. There are no markings on the top, unlike my 1994 Springfield M1a which is TRW stamped.

Can anyone explain the bolt to me ? Commercial ? Springfield made ? USGI that didn’t get marked ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Prob been replaced/swapped out. Un-Marked.....Chinese most likely.

I would walk away from a that vintage M1a that didn't have a GI marked bolt unless they took $250 off price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I just emailed springfield with the details and serial number to see what they say
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, the right combination of words in a google search brought me this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Today I acquired a Springfield M1a with a 1978, Maybe 1979 receiver. Mint condition with the wood handguard on top. The seller was an older guy who bought it, test fired it and stashed it away.

The barrel is only marked Geneso IL in very tiny letters on the bottom. I haven't had the rifle apart yet.

The thing I'm the most curious about though is the bolt. There are no markings on the top, unlike my 1994 Springfield M1a which is TRW stamped.

Can anyone explain the bolt to me ? Commercial ? Springfield made ? USGI that didn't get marked ?
View Quote
What is your serial?

Mine is 1330x, and Springfield said it was from May of 1980.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My serial number is 00981x
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My serial number is 00981x
View Quote
Nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top