Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2018 10:37:58 PM EDT
EDIT- At this point I'm looking at 4895 as a rifle powder and Unique for pistols.

I'm looking to buy more powder.  I'd like a powder I can use for 9mm, .223/5.56 and .308/7.62.  However, my Lyman 49th edition manual only shows Universal being used for 9mm.  Nothing about it for .223 (5.56 isn't listed) or .308 (7.62 isn't listed) even though Unique has loadings for all of them, especially with cast bullets.

A few questions...

1.  If using a 55gr. cast for .223, can Universal be used and if how many grains?  What about using Universal for .308?

2.  Why is 5.56 and 7.62 loadings not listed in the manual?

3.  If stocking up on only one powder for the calibers I listed, would you choose Universal, Unique, or something else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pistol powders like Unique and Universal perform poorly in rifle cartridges.

All you can do is load reduced loads with pistol powder in a rifle cartridge.

Just because you want to do it, doesn't mean you can disregardful internal  ballistics.

The do all powder for rifle is H-4895 or IMR-4895.

Stock up on Unique and one of the 4895's.

Remember Universal is just a powder name, don't take it literally.
View Quote
That makes sense.  Does it matter IMR vs. H?   I already have a pound of H.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The following is total BS and is not based on deep thought.

How about TAC?  It would work in 223 and 308.  Would it work in 9mm?  I bet it would, not optimally, but I bet it works.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doesn't make a difference, the burning rate is close on the both of them.
View Quote
Ok, so I can just get whichever is cheapest.  Since I already have a bunch maybe I'll get more Unique for pistol caliber and the 4895 for rifle.

I've never shot the Unique but my dealer was insistent that it's REALLY dirty and Universal is MUCH cleaner.  Any truth to that?  Should I switch gears and start stocking up on Universal...or is Unique not really that dirty?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Unique works well for reduced plinking loads in everything. Shotgun shells also. You may only get black powder ballistics but that killed lots of things back in the day. Buy an 8 pound can of unique and several cases of primers. Do you cast your own bullets?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unique works well for reduced plinking loads in everything. Shotgun shells also. You may only get black powder ballistics but that killed lots of things back in the day. Buy an 8 pound can of unique and several cases of primers. Do you cast your own bullets?
View Quote
Yes, which reminds me I need to buy a .308 (or whatever the mold caliber is???) mold.   But yes I cast 9mm and .223 as well as other calibers.

I also already have 8lbs of Unique.  Im figuring with how little I shoot, one more of those and two 8lb. jugs of the 4895 will last at least two generations if ever needed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, which reminds me I need to buy a .308 (or whatever the mold caliber is???) mold.   But yes I cast 9mm and .223 as well as other calibers.

I also already have 8lbs of Unique.  Im figuring with how little I shoot, one more of those and two 8lb. jugs of the 4895 will last at least two generations if ever needed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't played with universal but I have with unique. you can throw 5gr in almost any pistol cartridge and it will work pretty well (aside from the really small and large) toss in 8-10gr in most rifle cartridges with a cast bullet and you have a fun plinker. I've used unique in 9mm, 38/357, 40, 45, 45LC, 30-30, .223, .308, 45-70 and 12g just to name a few off the top of my head. is it the best at all of those? nope but does it go bang and work good enough for plinking...you bet. if you cast unique is a great powder to have on hand for a do-all.

Like dryflash mentioned that and H4895 would be good enough for most applications. will it yield top performance? not likely except cartridges ideal for them. H4895 also has a lot of youth load data which can make those pesky magnums turn into tame animals. Hodgdon did an article on MEL's (managed effective loads) and that was one of the top powders for making some of the bigger safari grade cartidges manageable for normal hunting.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Hodgdon and IMR powder are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE data wise.  Their burn rates are similar but that is where things diverge.

If you do not see data from a powder distributor for a particular application.  Call them and ask.  They are wealth of information.  And, they collectively have forgot more about powder than anyone here.
They may point you in another direction.

There is NO DO ALL POWDER with good results handgun, rifle or shotgun use, functional use perhaps a better way to label it.
Unique works on most handgun round and has shotgun applications, and some limited rifle applications, too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#12]
part of the joy of reloading is finding that one formula that your gun loves

some may shoot better with unique, others with universal

there is no “one powder” for all, and I’m damn glad we have choices
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
part of the joy of reloading is finding that one formula that your gun loves

some may shoot better with unique, others with universal

there is no “one powder” for all, and I’m damn glad we have choices
View Quote
true true but when you have to have a powder magazine from owning too many powders it gets a little out of hand.

been there done that. had 32 different powders at one time. now it's nice to keep a select few by the 8lb er than ton's of 1lb'ers
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

true true but when you have to have a powder magazine from owning too many powders it gets a little out of hand.

been there done that. had 32 different powders at one time. now it's nice to keep a select few by the 8lb er than ton's of 1lb'ers
View Quote
On the other hand, you'll have alternate load data that is specific for your firearms in case there is a shortage of your regular "go to" powders.

When I first began reloading, I chose IMR 3031 to be my "go to" because I could find it in volume at most shops.  Nowadays the local shops have a metric buttload of Varget, CFE223, and Win 748.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The reason that there are more loads for unique, then universal, is due to universal being a much new powder isntead.

So with unique, it was a carry over from the times of trying to use the same powder from a multitude of different loads (why is shows up in the older lyman cast bullet handbooks in dam near every load), while universal is from the newer period of using the best powder for the application isntead.
View Quote
Yep, this is the truth.  Unique is something like 110 years old and Universal might be about 20.  I use them both.  Unique is my favorite for non magnum pistols.  I use Universal in my shotguns because Hodgdon has data for the shorter 2 1/2" 12 gauge shotgun shells and Alliant doesn't.  I haven't found a reason the use Universal in my handguns instead of Unique.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Doesn't make a difference, the burning rate is close on the both of them.
View Quote
They started out as different batches of the same powder in bulk production.

The two companies chose to 'standardize' different batches for their 'canister grade' when the original bulk ran out.

Bulk powder is made in railroad car quantities per batch.

Not so for canister grade.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:...They started out as different batches of the same powder in bulk production.....
View Quote
they are different size and color

Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

they are different size and color
View Quote
He was talking about 4895.   4895 started out as a WWII surplus powder.  H4895 vs IMR 4895 are very close to each other.  H is slightly faster than IMR.  You can always safely substitute H4895 for IMR4895, when going the other way you want to go down about a half grain.

Universal and Unique are different powders.   Universal was developed my Hodgdon to duplicate Universal's burn-rate while also being considerably cleaner.    It's supposed to be a drop in substitute, and I personally would have no problem using Unique with Universal load data.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He was talking about 4895.   4895 started out as a WWII surplus powder.  H4895 vs IMR 4895 are very close to each other.  H is slightly faster than IMR.  You can always safely substitute H4895 for IMR4895, when going the other way you want to go down about a half grain.

Universal and Unique are different powders.   Universal was developed my Hodgdon to duplicate Universal's burn-rate while also being considerably cleaner.    It's supposed to be a drop in substitute, and I personally would have no problem using Unique with Universal load data.
View Quote
Opps

sorry
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hodgdon and IMR powder are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE data wise.  Their burn rates are similar but that is where things diverge.

If you do not see data from a powder distributor for a particular application.  Call them and ask.  They are wealth of information.  And, they collectively have forgot more about powder than anyone here.
They may point you in another direction.

There is NO DO ALL POWDER with good results handgun, rifle or shotgun use, functional use perhaps a better way to label it.
Unique works on most handgun round and has shotgun applications, and some limited rifle applications, too.
View Quote
Might be and then again it might not be, I interchange them in quite a few loads loads, no problems. If you don't load sledgehammer loads you'll never know the difference. I am not saying to do it, I'm saying what works for me might be different for you, but when you learn the powders it all comes to you. Don't load red line loads and they are almost twins.

Same with the 4198's.

Like you said they are not the same, but they are close. I like H much better goes through a measure pretty good, same with h-4198, a tad slower,

measures better also.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious but what are the laws on how much you are allowed to store in one place before needing a magazine?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the record, what I wrote here is obviously backward.  Since H4895 is faster, it needs to be a lower charge by about a half grain.  You can use IMR4898 in an H4895 load because it will be lower pressure.  Speer's manual (see chapter 4) considers them interchangeable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For the record, what I wrote here is obviously backward.  Since H4895 is faster, it needs to be a lower charge by about a half grain.  You can use IMR4898 in an H4895 load because it will be lower pressure.  Speer's manual (see chapter 4) considers them interchangeable.
View Quote
Primers vary by more than half a grain pressure wise, like I said if you don't have them loaded to the edge of sticking in your rifle, use them both and don't worry about it.

IMR was/is faster for me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I use 10 grains of unique with a 200 grain powder coated bullet and its damn near point of aim using the battle sight on a m1903 at 100 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top